• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

KOTOR Nihilus WIP

Tags

OK, working out my KOTOR Nihilus cowl... Obviously this just a mock up but I am working to figure out the under structure, I want to pick up some gabradine and start building it, but I need to figure out how I will achieve the flatish look and points... This is what I have thus far,

Once I have the cloth and the wife is home, I will pin everything down and get more pics...

17419_823446374369307_653237077185724841

Looks like good progress so far. I know the cowl and the "cat ears" are one of the harder parts of the costume to do. :) 

Cheers,

Nef

yea, when I built my COTF Nihilus that part was a nightmare, eventually just attached some cones to a ushanka...

I need to figure out the front now where it lies on the chest and figure out the back and sides

Some cowl progress... Still debating how to curve the piece under the chin... But I believe the top and sides are coming along.

I need some tips on the back however, how far shoud it hang down? I would think you can hide alot under the cape... Thinking it may looks better

hanging down to hide in the cape.

10550198_824401777607100_500580481136737

Hang in there, it is a hard piece to get right. Took me a several tries to get mine to hang properly. I ended up stitching my folds and hang lines in place to make it look right. For the pack, my cowl and cape are all one piece that hang down together. Not an ideal way to build it as all that weight pulls on my head. 

Make sure you have enough fabric at the base to have good drape while still bringing the pieces forward to do the under chin knot. You may need to sew an extra triangle of fabric in to give you the extra cloth to work with. 

Cheers, 

Nef

Well it's coming along, working out the ears now... Trouble is finding time to work on it, between school and everything else...

I think we have enough fabric if not I have allot left over from what we cut off that can be added in if need be... Yea going to keep my cape and cowl seperate. My COTF Nihilus has a short cape hanging down from the cowl with a long cape over that, seems to look bets and no extra weight.

Once the ears are done I will deal with the front drape... ; / Going to be busy this weekend with an Upcoming con but I will attempt to get some progress pics.

Ears are sewen in... Going to tackle the front drape next try to get the curve just right.

11136171_826513804062564_763935303143787

Soo... does the inner tunic havr to be the same material as the outer tunic and the cowl/cape? I'm not sure Gabradine would achieve the fitted look properly

Soo... does the inner tunic havr to be the same material as the outer tunic and the cowl/cape? I'm not sure Gabradine would achieve the fitted look properly

Yup, on a Kotor Nihilus they should be the same material. Or at least they need to look as close as possible if you do use two different fabrics. The thing to keep in mind with the Kotor Nihilus is that it is based off of an older game model. They didn't have the technology back then to render in much detail, like fabric textures. So there is a little wiggly room (artistic license) with a Kotor Nihilus to get the right look. If you go with two different fabrics, just make sure they look right together and have the same density of black. 

Hope that helps! 

Cheers,

Nef