• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Sculpting Rahm Kota Armor

Koda Vonnor

I lined up all the hard parts and took a photo for posterity. After tweaking the shoulder bell anchor system and adding strategic Velcro to the BP, almost nine months to the day after I began this project, I am officially finished with the Rahm Kota armor version 1.0 :mrgreen:

Many thanks to Flagship Eclipse for being such a fantastic source of crafting info.

Special thanks to Pam, for the excellent detailed visual tutorials on body casting, mold making, resin casting, and all that other stuff I read and already forgot. :shock:

Thanks also to the Maestro, Thomas. For the most part I copied from his Ganner Krieg progress pix and process description for the fiberglass work (all but the blood sacrifice - I wimped out on that).

RahmKotaArmor_900w.jpg

I will post one last picture to this thread, one with the full costume. I hope that all this can be useful to others who want to create something cool.

Thanks again! See y'all at DragonCon! 8)

~ Vonnor

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah man. The Blood is the most important part.*

It is long over due; this is a work of beauty.

I love the solutions you have come to and the craftsmanship along the way.

Your documentation has been superb and is/will be a great asset to the costuming community at large.

When you first showed your work in progress, cropping your head, I wondered if you physical appearance would compliment your efforts. When you finally did show images with your face made up I was relieved. You have the handsome and nobel features to bring your costume to life.

I look forward to seeing this in person. And then raising my blade. My first red blade.

Be well,

*?Think I am kidding? You know what I am working on now. I am very close to the blood stage, right bicep to be precise. This will take weeks to heal.

Ah man. The Blood is the most important part.*

I have given blood to this project, but not by choice. The knife never seems to differentiate the model from the fingers.

It is long over due; this is a work of beauty.

I love the solutions you have come to and the craftsmanship along the way.

Your documentation has been superb and is/will be a great asset to the costuming community at large.

When you first showed your work in progress, cropping your head, I wondered if you physical appearance would compliment your efforts. When you finally did show images with your face made up I was relieved. You have the handsome and nobel features to bring your costume to life.

Your words mean a great deal to me, sir. I am honored.

I look forward to seeing this in person. And then raising my blade. My first red blade.

hmmmm...... I thought Vader was sending a 'boy.'

*?Think I am kidding? You know what I am working on now. I am very close to the blood stage, right bicep to be precise. This will take weeks to heal.

...and I thought it had to be an unbaptized male child...

I present General Rahm Kota, Jedi Master.

Rahm_Kota_05.png

Rahm_Kota_07.png

Rahm_Kota_04.png

Rahm_Kota_01.png

Rahm_Kota_Live_Compare.png

So the project thread ends the way it began, with the first reference picture.

I owe a debt of gratitude to a great many people. To all the forum members of the Rebel Legion, The Jedi Assembly, Flagship Eclipse, and the Replica Props Forum (RPF) who gave advice, input, and opinion; to my sister and her family, who endured countless days of bugging to help me make plaster body casts; to my brother, who helped me brainstorm the armor mounting system; and especially to Thomas Spanos and Pam Simpson for their excellent crafting tutorials, without which this costume would not have been built.

To my outsources, Mel Mattson, leathercrafter extraordinaire; to Carlos Diaz, who is still willing to build a pair of boots from a napkin sketch, and to Don Close of Do-Clo Custom Sabers, who gets up at 5AM every day 'cause it's "time to make the lightsabers."

I am grateful to you all.

~ Koda "HairColorByAdobe" Vonnor

Guest Anonymous

great job on the Kota - now If i could just be happy with my shadow guard - Thomas you are an inspiration for detail. Costuming is never a complete science it is always progressing.