• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

WIP Antares's Starkiller Raxus Prime/Heavy training gear

Antares

Hi everybody, as i recently revealed in the Introductions post, i'm building a Starkiller "Raxus Prime/Heavy training gear"- costume.

I will try to update this topic with pictures and information about my progress and will probably ask for advise as i go :).

A little piece of history behind this build of mine for anyone interested(Otherwise skip to below this section ;))

A few months back in a city far far north away...

i got told of the customsabershop page, this was perfect as i always wanted to start tinkering with electronics and if i could combine it with my interest in Star Wars as well this would be perfect!

Around this time it were revealed that Comic-Con would be coming to Sweden for the first time. I then thought that this would be a perfect time to try some cosplaying as a custom jedi to go together with my new lightsaber project.

As i searched for information online i stumbled upon the 501st... this seemed to be even better.

But the current design i had of a dark jedi had to be changed into something else.

I searched in the CRL and stumbled upon the Raxus Prime costume. I remember that i were really impressed of it when i played the game.

Also the fact that it seemed like a challenge to make but not impossible, i were intrigued to make it.

So the plan now is to try to finish before November, to attend Comic-Con, either if that will be happening or not i'm still going to tweak it until i'm accepted into the 501st.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/127271766@N07/15085827525

The fabric has been bought, a bit of surplus to make up for the fact that the last time i sewed was 15ish years ago. A lesson learned from this is that you will need much more thread than you think :).

https://www.flickr.com/photos/127271766@N07/14899186070

This is the state of the costume at the moment. ALOT of tinkering and coloring/effects needs to be added. Im thinking of adding to the tunic's neck as now it is horrible and rugged. It could be hidden by an masked additional fabric collarlike contraption. Maybe i will redo it from scratch...

As to the boots; the boot is a temporary prop, it needs to be brown. I'm searching second hand stores and the likes online for boots matching the costume as of now.

As for the coloring and effects; Im happy of how the legwarmers turned out, but the arms needs more of it. Espescially to hide the seams.

The arms are also pretty crude at the moment.

Loincloth; the dark parts, where it's supposed to look scorched and mudded, must be made darker

As of now i have mainly used various colors of shoepolish to give the effect... it gives off a pleasant smell but i probably needs to add something more :).

Fabric2S

Another batch of additions to the project! To bad that the wraps for the boots had the wrong hint of brown, i'm going to try to color them. Buy the cord were great.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/127271766@N07/15085828915

https://www.flickr.com/photos/127271766@N07/15062830516

Simultaneous with this i'm working on the gloves with the hand computer and board, backpack and bracelet.

I'm also considering if i should buy the belts needed and modify or craft them myself...

Parts i'm having problems with:

The shawl; I tried doing a few versions of this, i were not happy with the result.

The problem i'm having is that it becomes to solid, it impairs my movement to much.

I want to still be quite agile with it on. The foam padding i used might be to thick and sturdy.

Im trying to recreate the version that DZ-6489 built in his costume, the way they are padded and still retaining the light sturdiness are awesome.

I guess i could just wrap som cloth in the pattern its wrapped in the reference pictures, but that would not just do it for me...

I posted a PM to Wesley, aka DZ-6489, but i realize that it were quite some time since he built it and were active here, so if anyone got any ideas i will gladly discuss them.

I will gladly take critique on my current and future work on the costume and i hope that I after a bit of trial and errors will complete it!