• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Starting a COTF Nihilus

Ewok Hunter

Hi all, just starting a WIP thread for my Nihilus project. I am looking to join in the Mountain Garrison in Colorado.

Had some questions on the belt though. The one in the model pic does not seem to match the belt pic down in the CRL. The model looks like he's wearing one with nickel studs in the middle of the small belt though it and the wider one. While the description and pic next to it has I believe 8 black studs in 4 pairs with them above and below the smaller belt.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MENS-BLACK-TOP-GRAIN-SHEEPSKIN-GAUNTLET-GLOVES/181133298073?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20131003132420%26meid%3D5939037438364261ad8006bfa7a5c5c0%26pid%3D100005%26prg%3D20131003132420%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D171054688953&rt=nc Will these work for gloves?

For mask and the hood I commissioned through my wicked armor as those seemed too complex for my skills.

For boots I have a pair of black pirate boots that are knee high and have no laces or straps.

I will likely apply with no lightsaber, but I was wondering if anyone knew of somewhere decent to get one that can at least have a blade that lights up. The COTF CRL says you can have either the COTF or KOTOR hilt it seems.

Hello Ewok Hunter,

For the belt question, the model picture has not been updated with the accurate belt. It needs to be like the lone belt picture shown in the CRL further down. So the 8 black studs in pairs is correct.

Yes, those gloves will work.

MWA does a great Nihilus mask, there are a lot of Nihilus' in the legion with his work.

Boots sound fine. Really only the toe ends up showing with all the long flowing robes anyways.

It's correct you don't need the lightsaber for approval. Lightsabers are nice to have, but not needed. I would focus on getting the costume completed and approved and then look into getting a light saber. There are a few different places you can get custom ones made, but they can get quite pricey. Depends on how much you are willing to spend on one.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Nef

Thanks for the reply, I'll stop off at the Tandy near me and get the belts and studs I need. I also just ordered the gloves.

The lightsaber will be down the road, I know it will be more than my Maul saber.

I've always loved MWAs nihilus mask (sometimes I wish I would have went with there's for my nihilus). I also really like the gloves. The skirts look a bit too tight. If it were me I would remake them with much more fabric to give it a more billowy look. The weathering/shredding at the bottoms looks great, but Id pass on the greyish paint weathering and just stick to the shredding weathering.

NihilusFront_zps0a4cdca9.jpg

Your Nihilus is looking really good so far. I agree with Crimson that the skirt seems a little tight and should be more billowy. If you can sew an additional panel of fabric into it, that should help.

It is also hard to tell from this picture, but are the sleeves quilted with 1 inch spacing? It doesn't look like there is any quilting, but it could just be the photo.

Everything else looks fantastic! You are really close to being approvable.

Cheers,

Nef

Agreed with the other comments! I'd also try to pull in the cape around the sides of the head, so that the silhouette of the neck area isn't so triangular. I did some hand-stitches from the underside of my cowl to pull the fabric down. Hope that makes sense!

I am flabbergasted how a few tinkered elements can totally change a costume from 'mew' to 'wow'!

The skirt looks do much better. the overall look of the costume benifits from it greatly

Nihilus wears 2 layers of tunics. You could sew just one tunic with the appearance of being 2 if you wanted to shed a layer and be cooler. As long as it looks right, there is no reason not to try this way. I have often thought about doing it as well since I get super warm in my costume. The trick would be keeping the volumous fabric look that you get from 2 layers with only 1.

Cheers,

Nef

I was wondering because I got denied because of it. Though in a lot of artwork and even other approved member's costumes it's hard to even see the extra tunic.

I was wondering because I got denied because of it. Though in a lot of artwork and even other approved member's costumes it's hard to even see the extra tunic.

COTF Nihilus needs to have the appearance of 2 tunics around the collar. Even if you just sew 1 layer. People have gotten this effect by sewing a second collar under the top one to make it look like there is a second tunic under there. It is a very easy addition to the outter tunic. You might need to add that and then re-apply.

Cheers,

Nef

Finally got back to making the adjustments needed, including the second tunic after some medical bills and getting my wife a steampunk outfit and got my approval from my GML this morning.  :-D   Just waiting on the  confirmation for my numbers from Legion to be official.

Guest Tfinley

I have a question: should the skirt be open in the front or back? The pictures in this thread look like the solid part of the skirt is in the front

I have a question: should the skirt be open in the front or back? The pictures in this thread look like the solid part of the skirt is in the front

They should be open in the front. 

The opening is in the front, but a lot of people (me included) leave plenty of material so that the skirts overlap.  You shouldn't have the opening flapping open when walking, but having it part slightly when you walk so your boots don't catch on the skirts and trip you.

Aye ID recommend like 4 yards just for the skirt. It looks so nice when it's full! You can bell the shape and that will keep it nice and flush though if you use that much material it'll stay closed anyways.