• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Larryluftwaffe's Revan WIP (PIC HEAVY)

larryluftwaffe

So, I've started on my build quite some time before deciding to join up with the 501st so I figure I'd post my progress. Unfortunately since I didn't start my build with 501st approval in mind it has deviated as a result. I'm aware that there are a few aspects that are going to need fixing but I figured if I post up here I'll get a good idea of what needs to be fixed and what will be okay for now.

So keep in mind this is the concept I started with :

VideoGameArt_SWTOR_DarthRevan02_LeeDevonald.jpg

These are just the components I'm going to get a picture of me wearing it all as soon as I can, it's difficult because I'm living alone, and my camera broke.

But starting up first is:

Full costume:

IMG_20140718_175505.jpg

IMG_20140718_175509.jpg

Hood:

front:

IMG_20140718_180226.jpg

Back:

IMG_20140718_180246.jpg

Cape:

IMG_20140718_180149.jpg

Mask:

IMG_20140718_174823.jpg

IMG_20140718_174837.jpg.html?sort=3&o=17

IMG_20140718_174831.jpg

Got the mask from drunkenmynock on theRPF and painted the mask myself. I want to know if the colors are correct.

Balaclava:

IMG_20140718_180356.jpg

Shirt:

Currently scouring the web for one that fits the 501st CRL any good suggestions?

Vambraces:

IMG_20140718_175008.jpg

Made from PU faux leather, I might remake it using worbla to get a more rigid structure to it.

Handplates/gloves:

IMG_20140718_174952.jpg

IMG_20140718_174946.jpg

They've been secured to the gloves using barge cement, again considering making this out of worbla to make it more rigid.

here's a pic with the vambraces:

IMG_20140718_175032.jpg

Cuirass/armor bridge/abdomen armor

Made of PU faux leather, all one piece, if need I can separate them or make the correct parts rigid

IMG_20140718_175625.jpg

IMG_20140718_175659.jpg

Belt O-ring/ Fabric Drapes:

IMG_20140718_175228.jpg

IMG_20140718_175306.jpg

IMG_20140718_175218.jpg

Hakama:

IMG_20140718_180312.jpg

Boots:

Just ordered a pair

img-thing?.out=jpg&size=l&tid=34522575

I believe they're called the gotham-100 boot and I've forgotten the company, but I just ordered them cause I liked the look, and they'd work with a few other cosplays I have going but I'm not opposed to getting new ones to be more accurate.

Lightsaber:

I'm currently working on getting into the shop and get one built on the lathe but times been a bit short lately I'll hurry on that the best I can.

Sith selfie time:

At current this is what the whole piece looks like (the top portion anyways) but like I said I will get a full picture of what it looks like once I find a friend who won't be weirded out by me asking to take a picture dressed as a Sith Lord.

IMG_20140704_024908.jpg

Again I'm aware that some pieces may not be get approved because I chose to build it before I got convinced to submit my application to the 501st so some pieces are weathered oddly, and the cape plus hakama are tattered at the ends (it was on purpose). Please let me know what I need to get fixed, I'd love any advice and constructive criticism to make this as accurate as I can. Thank you!

Guest Crixe

With the boots you'll need "A wide strap may be included that goes over the top of the foot. " generally recommened by most are "jack boots"

I was about to post a reply on the Garrison but hey. Just give it a few days here. There are a few things that will probably hit snags for you the armor is supposed ridged however if you want I've been making armor molds for use with the vacuum former. Just hit me up with a PM on the AlpineGarrison and I'll try to have them ready by the next armor party. Also I had a ring made with the pattern in it for resin casting? But it requires some sanding and paint if you want one made you'll have to talk to Jeff but we can get it done. Mask looks great I've seen his work.

20cf2882-1130-404f-a36e-61a4ce993286.jpg

With the boots you'll need "A wide strap may be included that goes over the top of the foot. " generally recommened by most are "jack boots"

I was about to post a reply on the Garrison but hey. Just give it a few days here. There are a few things that will probably hit snags for you the armor is supposed ridged however if you want I've been making armor molds for use with the vacuum former. Just hit me up with a PM on the AlpineGarrison and I'll try to have them ready by the next armor party. Also I had a ring made with the pattern in it for resin casting? But it requires some sanding and paint if you want one made you'll have to talk to Jeff but we can get it done. Mask looks great I've seen his work.

20cf2882-1130-404f-a36e-61a4ce993286.jpg

Sounds good, I'll keep a note of everything I need to fix up and get ready. Like I said this was just built as a super quick "lets go to comic con" but I decided to make this 501st approved so I'm expecting to have to re-do some parts I have my polyurethane ready to cast if need be.

One of the tenants of 501st Legion costume approval is research.

This model was not made for SWTOR. It is was made by the talented Lee Devonald, as a portfolio piece. While a very detailed example of fan art, it would not be admissible as reference for 501st consideration. 501st costuming is based on the recreation of LFL approved sources. This is not to say that recreating a fan’s artwork as a costume is any less of an achievement.

As an example there is this female Darth Revan by Iselen on Deviant Art.

the_lady_revan_by_iselen-d45j8qa.jpg

Reproduced stunningly so by a fan of a fan;

1273110_10151946686764623_126722012_o.jpg

While both are obvious works of art, neither fall under 501st membership.

And again, that is OK.

The very first tenant of The Flagship Eclipse is to costume for yourself. You are the one wearing the costume. If your costume choice matches up with membership qualifications for a community, that is a bonus. But we suggest that if you are going to expend energy into making a costume, make sure that at the end of the process you are happy.

One of the tenants of 501st Legion costume approval is research.

This model was not made for SWTOR. It is was made by the talented Lee Devonald, as a portfolio piece. While a very detailed example of fan art, it would not be admissible as reference for 501st consideration. 501st costuming is based on the recreation of LFL approved sources. This is not to say that recreating a fan’s artwork as a costume is any less of an achievement.

As an example there is this female Darth Revan by Iselen on Deviant Art.

the_lady_revan_by_iselen-d45j8qa.jpg

Reproduced stunningly so by a fan of a fan;

1273110_10151946686764623_126722012_o.jpg

While both are obvious works of art, neither fall under 501st membership.

And again, that is OK.

The very first tenant of The Flagship Eclipse is to costume for yourself. You are the one wearing the costume. If your costume choice matches up with membership qualifications for a community, that is a bonus. But we suggest that if you are going to expend energy into making a costume, make sure that at the end of the process you are happy.

Awesome! I'll keep that in mind. Thanks for the info, I'll make the necessary adjustments to make sure this meets 501st standards.

Guest Crixe
So I've decided I'll make my build canon accurate, but my question is my mask is from SWTOR, and not KOTR would that still work or would it be better to make a new mask?
As nice as the mask is yes it's a KOTR version. the coloring to the two is almost identical but they aren't the same in shape. I've also made a mold for that aswell you can check it out at the armor party too. I tried to make mine as accurate to the rendered image.

KTOR Ingame Model.

revan_mask.jpg

This is the current one listed as a reference on the 501st

Cannon.

KTOR Darth Revan - http://www.501st.com/databank/File:SL_revan_mask.jpg

SWTOR - Hero Revan

HoodedMaskedRevan01.jpg

While they are similar in color as they should be, the mask so you can try for an approval with the current mask but it wouldn't be cannon despite the low graphic level between the two it always appears like this.

"The mask extends up to the top of the head.

It has a dark gray and rust red color scheme on the front, and the paint is heavily weathered.

The eye slit is filled with a lens that is dark enough to obscure the eyes behind it.

Black side panels matching the game renders may be included to cover the sides of the costumer's face, but they are not required.

Note: It is not clear if the black area visible in the game render was meant to be a piece of the mask, or if it is a rough rendering of Revan's face which was supposed to be hidden by the hood. Because of this uncertainty, the black side panels may be included or left off of the mask at the costumer's discretion."

Beyond your mask you also have the missing Armor Bridge section this can and you probably will want to make it out of a soft vynil back with silver highlighs and stripes between http://www.501st.com/databank/File:SL_revan_bridge.jpg (http://www.501st.com/databank/Costuming:SL_revan) gives you flexability between the armor peaces of the top and bottom.

And most important don't forget the line across revans shirt http://www.501st.com/databank/File:SL_revan_shirt.jpg (it's required)

501st Revan costume reference guide. http://www.501st.com/databank/File:SL_revan_shirt.jpg

Quick update. The boots have arrived, and also after thoroughly reading through the CRL I've decided to make the cuirass, abdominal armor, vambraces, and hand plates more rigid. So I grabbed a sheet of wonderflex out and I'll be patterning out the whole thing over the next couple of weeks. Also I've had some concerns over the mask so I'm going to make a new one from scratch because I'm not a fan of anything that is out on the market. Lastly I'll be going over the cape and hakama and making ones that are the correct length. So basically besides the gloves and boots the whole costume is slowly being redone.

Keep up the good work! Have you worked out the T-shirt yet? With the line on it?

I'm still looking around. Works kept me pretty busy this week so I'm making slow progress, if I can't find a good one I'll just find the time to sew the line into the top of mine.

Keep up the good work! Have you worked out the T-shirt yet? With the line on it?

I'm still looking around. Works kept me pretty busy this week so I'm making slow progress, if I can't find a good one I'll just find the time to sew the line into the top of mine.

Yea thats what im thinking i might have to do. A small line of black wouldn't be to hard.... (Famous last words!!!)

If you are going to apply for 501st clearance. make sure that all your items comply with the 501st CRL

http://www.501st.com/databank/Costuming:SL_revan

the mask for Kotor revan is and must be Kotor Revan Mask and not SWTOR

Yeah, I've been looking at that so I'm going to make a new one that is more closely in line with Darth Revan, and not the redeemed Revan from SWTOR.

You also might have to re-do the hood. Just from looking at it, it won't cowl around the face like the CRL says it should. Whenever possible, use the in-game model from KotOR as a reference, because that is the only interpretation of the costume that is currently approvable. I pretty much use it as my only reference for the major lines of the costume.

74e04b58bd49a646b241fb9a00a24766.jpg

Granted, it's an OLD game model, and there is some room for interpretation in the fine details (which the CRL allows for), but the basic structure of the costume is all there. It can be confusing with all the crazy and awesome arts out there!

So current status redoing most of the costume to make it line up to the crl.

starting with patterning out for mask:

IMG_20140728_190344.jpg

Done up in Bondo

IMG_20140801_225741.jpg

Mask extensions plus new hand plates all primed and ready for paint:

IMG_20140803_174744.jpg

New vambraces made rigid and painted a bronze tone:

IMG_20140730_235051.jpg

IMG_20140730_235141.jpg

Mocked up mask extensions in foam and quick coat of paint, still wet:

IMG_20140801_233929.jpg

Everything is currently getting their final coat of paint I'll picks up asap.

So some quick updates:

Mask is *maybe* finished (depends on if my modifications will fit with the 501st CRL, if not I'll be doing a whole new casting.

Vambraces will be cleaned up and make the edges cleaner.

New Cape, Hakama and Hood are now being made using a heavy weight cotton wool blend.

Cuirass is going to be re-templated after Salt Lake Comic Con, and a rubber casting will be made of that.

Still scouring the internet for a shirt with the stripe across the chest.

And at the last minute I decided I don't like the look of the ring at the center where the red drape is so I'm going to rubber cast that along with the connection points.

If all goes well I should have it all done in the next couple of months given my school schedule gives me leeway

So after a bit of modifying and testing at Salt Lake Comic Con, and armed with a host of images for reference I've decided I hate it and I'm re-doing the whole thing. As nice as it was to just be able to modify it, it didn't look accurate, and it also looked too large. Also have a new cape/hood patterns drawn up, just need to be sewed. Not that Salt Lake Comic Con is over I'll be tearing apart my current cuirass using it for a template,.

10703669_859021470789582_1519020811280194581_n.jpg

Lastly this is what it looks like currently:

10687171_10152191720065904_8583111340068180605_n.jpg