• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Asajj Bounty Hunter WIP

Guest kahna

Guest kahna

I posted this on the BH forums as well, but my local garrison suggested this forum might be more appropriate due to Asajj's history.

abb4a088-d1f4-4879-8a38-b5a241a42f61_zps2ce9a282.png

I'm working on the costume from the Ahsoka terrorist plot episodes in season 5. It's similar to the costume pictured above but has long sleeves and legs, and white wraps. As well as a helmet and greaves. If this one goes well I will likely make the short sleeveless bodysuit and purple socks so I can have both outfits.

My work on the tabard so far. It's black cotton. I've pressed box pleats into it to create the stripes. They are far more obvious in person. The pattern is hand painted on in ochre fabric paint.

3a2a12e7-5542-41ed-b97a-c20ec566b6e3_zpse5fe71f1.jpg

I also found a pair of boots that's just about perfect. The zipper will likely need to be covered up.

fa1ebfef-aa9b-4b8f-a4fa-f2667e41e2bc_zps7d2cc6c2.jpg

And my references images. VentressDetail2-SWE

Aloha!

You're probably correct about the costume fitting here. If anything you'll find experts on makeup and caps and the like.

Did you get that fabric custom printed or perhaps just get a lucky find somewhere? It looks really close to the picture you've shown.

Also, nice grab on the boots. I suspect you'll get to make the buckles disappear but I think you've got a really great foundation there to work with both on fabric and boot.

Please keep this updated and let us know if you need anything.

For your shoulder armor, if you can't find anything at the BHG, I would suggest looking up the Mandalorian Merc and their stuff for crafters. If you need any help with that portion in particular, or anything else, please let me or others know.

Guest kahna

I hand painted the fabric myself. I was going to try and get it printed but it wouldn't have worked with the pleats. I wouldn't have gotten the right look. I used photoshop to get a nice grab of the geometric design then made myself a template. I used transfer paper to get the pattern on the fabric and went over it with ochre fabric paint. It took about 10 hours to paint that one tabard.

I did play around with spoonflower. Here's the pattern with darker lines in the background rather than pleats.

http://www.spoonflower.com/designs/3047540

She does have buckles on her boots, you can see them in some of the side shots. If I am remembering correctly. If not the buckles would be super easy to get rid of. I'll double check my references and watch the show(s) again. I need some more screen grabs anyway.

Guest kahna

Yesterday and today I worked on the skirt and obi sections. The skirt pieces are two separate triangles of fabric and the obi sections at the sides and back are all separate as well. I probably could have made the obi a single piece but the way it goes under and over the tabards and armor is kind of complicated, and I think multiple pieces will be easier to position and manipulate. Worst case scenario black cotton fabric is inexpensive and easily obtained so I can always make another obi.

I still have to figure out just how all these pieces are going to be held together. I think lots and lots of snaps to hold things in place and elastic to connect the two skirt pieces together around my waist. The back portion of the obi will probably be secured to the armor. . . somehow. . .

Do keep in mind when looking at these that my dress form isn't a curvy as I am. I have hips, she doesn't, so it looks a bit odd on her. I will likely have to adjust the obi up or down some depending on how the armor turns out.

a882038c-a9e3-43ff-a6e0-fb259a1391ab_zps5386ce6b.jpg

And the side of the obi, painted.

obi2_zps6bd725a6.jpg

That's fairly outstanding. Thank you for sharing your process. I'm sure once we get a folder together for the photos we'd love to use that in the filing if you don't mind.

Awesome work thus far, keep it up!

Guest kahna

I don't mind at all. I'm actually keeping a word document of explanations on how I am making each portion of the outfit including what material I chose and why I made that choice. I'm including pictures of both the references and my items. I'm more than a little nervous about my first costume being one that no one has made yet (that I am aware of) so I am trying to cover all my bases.

Good evening,

I would recommend seeking the Bounty Hunter (BH,) should a complete version of the Asajj Bounty Hunter become approved in the 501st. That said, we can easily justify the costumer’s affiliation with either the 501st Bounty Hunters’ Guild, The Flagship Eclipse or both.

9689193006_89998471f9_c.jpg

Either way we are happy to see your progress images.

Be well,

Thomas

Guest kahna

It seems like every time I sit down to grind through some more painting a new snippet of my costume arrives in the mail and I get the chance to work on something fun rather than mindless geometric shapes. This time around it was the stretch fusible interface for my collar. That, combined with a few snippets of corset boning left over from my last project and I think I have a collar. I may still play around with the interfacing. It may need more stiffness to decrease the chance of wrinkling. In addition in the picture there is a small pin holding the bottom of the collar closed. I have since replaced that with a hook and eye.

Sorry for the crummy picture, I just grabbed my phone. It's so hard to take pictures of myself with the good camera, and my husband was busy making breakfast.

fd7db003-3f3f-4790-acbf-c02a4bbd24ed_zps13dc924b.jpg

I also picked up some cotton knit fabric for the wraps at the knee and elbow, but promised myself I would at least finish painting the skirt before I started in on the wraps. I was hoping by using a stretch fabric I can tack the wraps to the body suit and not have to worry about rewrapping every time I wear it. Hopefully knit wraps will also increase the comfort and ease of movement vice using a non-stretch fabric for the wraps. I'll be sewing the fabric into one inch wide tubes. I will most likely use tea to dye/stain the fabric to mimic wear.

Guest kahna

That is the helmet I had commissioned. It's already half put together on my desk. I'm still trying to figure out just how to make it flip up or it would be completely put together. Yet another thing distracting me from the monotony of painting. :) Thank you for looking out though.

Even better I also commissioned this same artist to make a 3d printable version of her lightsabers. They won't be hollow, as he suggested that would reduce the structural integrity, but they are still something. I was not looking forward to spending $1000+ on a pair of lightsabers Especially when you consider this outfit is supposed to be an inexpensive way to pass the time while I gather Zam Wessel parts.

Guest kahna

More painting done, I have decided the stripes don't stand out enough and I am using the section of the obi I had painted to experiment with ways to darken up the stripes. So far I like the smudges of black fabric paint option. Rub it in and wipe most of it off and it darkens up the stripes nicely without destroying the pattern.

DSC_0100_zpse244762d.jpg

After reviewing the episodes she wears this outfit in again I have decided to remake the obi as a single piece. Yay for more pleating. Have been putting this off because the helmet is more fun.

DSC_0107_zpsd012e2fb.jpg

DSC_0106_zpsbb5d0308.jpg

The main portions are smooth. Now it's time for the details. I'll be smoothing out and reinforcing the visor and vents, and figuring out the best way to sculpt the ears. Unfortunately I've got family in town so the going may be slow for the next week or so.

I played around with a mockup of the armor in craft foam. My Worbla arrived last week and I can't wait to play around with it. I promised myself I would finish all the soft parts first though. Including painting.

DSC_0101_zps5d718db1.jpg

Guest kahna

Family in town, so other than a bit of boring painting this is all I managed to work on this week.

I sanded and re-epoxied the helmet 2 more times, primed it black, (saw more rough patches, fixed those and reprimed it) and got the silver layer on. I then sketched on the pattern and masked off all the areas that will be yellow. I will be airbrushing on the yellow and I wanted the silver to show through on the thin worn-out-but-not-chipped areas of paint. I also masked off the ears and various nicks and scratches all over the helmet, sticking as closely to the wear pattern on the reference photos as possible. Going to let the latex masking fluid dry over night and spray the whole thing black tomorrow.

I did leave some dents and dings and imperfections in the bondo/epoxy sculpt shell of the helmet. All the reference photos make it look like it's seen more than a few battles, and I figured the little scratches, paired with some weathering, would give it the right look.

DSC_0112_zps4fd3741d.jpg

Got some good news, my husband is taking me to Dragon Con for my birthday. Bad news is I now have a time limit to finish this costume, and I need to recast my jedi's lekku and fix the collar on my Padme Loyalist Committee gown. Eeek!!!

Oh and question. . . Where might I get my hands on a pair of red lightsaber blades. I was hoping to get a pair that was already tinted red, rather than the translucent ones used with LED lightsabers. Most of the activities in Hawaii involve the outdoors and the bright Hawaiian sunshine doesn't get along with LED lightsabers. In addition my sabers will not have electronics and won't be able to light up. I did a bit of googling but didn't come up with much. My google-fu needs some work.

Guest kahna

Helmet is 95% done. (I realized last night after I went to bed that I had forgotten the horizontal stripes on the bottom portion of the back of the helmet. Ooops, those shouldn't be hard to add on.) It needs more weathering, but since the yellow is acrylic and the whole thing is sealed with an acrylic seal using acrylic paint to weather was a disaster that required me to redo one yellow side section. The wipe on part works but the paint doesn't wipe off to a nice "dirty and worn" look. It just made solid black streaks. Yuck. I'm going to try using pastels to get the effect I want. I have some experience painting models with layered pastels. The ears also need a big of work. That large inner ring bothers me. It's not smooth.

So, how's it look? Any major glaring issues, or minor knit-picky ones that scream change me. Tear it apart, because I really want to get this approved someday.

1024px-Ventress_Offee_helmet_Concept_Art-TCAJ_zps06a7a065.jpg

DSC_0125_zps47d21e87.jpg

DSC_0124_zps0019f501.jpg

DSC_0123_zps2328ce7f.jpg

DSC_0122_zps84099b9a.jpg

DSC_0120_zpsdebc62e9.jpg

DSC_0119_zps13f1151d.jpg

Really great, just caught up on the photos. As a tiny-visor card carrying member, I hope you get used to panning your vision to get your bearings, and hopefully have a good stockpile of handlers available. :)

Guest kahna

So I'm very unhappy with my collar decorations. I can't make it exact because, unlike the cartoon, I actually have to put this on. It makes the most sense for the zipper to go in the front but if I do that the collar doesn't come together properly at the bottom, even with hooks and eyes to hold things closed. I suppose I could make the hook and eye combo a bit snugger to close the gap more but it still won't look like the cartoon. Any ideas? I am probably going to end up completely redoing the body suit and putting the zipper in the back so the front looks more accurate. It will be inaccurate in the back then but I found a 30 inch invisible zipper so at least it will be a subtle inaccuracy. (Ignore the white smudges that is just my fabric marking pencil.)

Thoughts? Opinions?

DSC_0130_zps6c71d39c.jpg

So I'm very unhappy with my collar decorations. I can't make it exact because, unlike the cartoon, I actually have to put this on. It makes the most sense for the zipper to go in the front but if I do that the collar doesn't come together properly at the bottom, even with hooks and eyes to hold things closed. I suppose I could make the hook and eye combo a bit snugger to close the gap more but it still won't look like the cartoon. Any ideas? I am probably going to end up completely redoing the body suit and putting the zipper in the back so the front looks more accurate. It will be inaccurate in the back then but I found a 30 inch invisible zipper so at least it will be a subtle inaccuracy. (Ignore the white smudges that is just my fabric marking pencil.)

Thoughts? Opinions?

DSC_0130_zps6c71d39c.jpg

Looks really good - but why don´t you try and put a longer "hidden" zipper backwards on, starting from the midle of the collar and going down ? if you know, what I mean ?

That way it doesn´t get gapes and the zipper can´t be seen ;)

Guest kahna

I figured out how I am going to fix it, it just sort of hit me while driving home. It doesn't have to be a body suit. So I turned the body suit into pants and a shirt. I had just enough fabric left over to remake the shirt and collar portion. Though I had to salvage the sleeves from what used to be the bodysuit. I then cut the bodysuit in half and added an elastic waist band to it to make pants. I still need to remake the collar, sew it on and repaint it. It shouldn't need any sort of zipper and I can sew it together where it needs to be sewn together. The separated waist portion will be hidden under all tabards.

Only thing I am worried about is the shirt riding up while wearing it and the possible complications with pulling it on over my head when I'm all painted and such. I do use alcohol based body paint so it will probably be fine. Or I could try to paint while wearing it, using some sort of shield to protect the fabric while I paint.

Guest kahna

The new and improved collar. I may still adjust it a smidge. The boning is a bit bulky, I may take the casing out. I also sewed the shirt with a heavy duty thread and it doesn't break at the drop of a hat the way the thread on the pants does. Going to have to redo the pants too but sewing with heavy duty thread is a pain. It likes to get all caught up in my machine.

DSC_0139_zps535b2a21.jpg

DSC_0142_zpsf038c42c.jpg

Next up this week. More painting. Once that's done I will be finished with all the soft pieces.

Guest travelsized
Oh and question. . . Where might I get my hands on a pair of red lightsaber blades. I was hoping to get a pair that was already tinted red, rather than the translucent ones used with LED lightsabers.
Im not sure if anyone covered this but: http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Color ... -P430.aspx

You'll also need a blade tip ( at the bottom). Some people color over the tip with sharpies, seems to work out well. =)