• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Few questions And Advice!

Keltten

Hello. Im IG - 28140. I new to the 501st (month ish) And had a blast researching and getting everything together. Right now i want to make an SL and when i played SWTOR Darth Revan was cool. So i decided not to quit and keep trucking along but this time taking a little more time on my costume!

My first question is as to the definition of Rigid. Does this require plastic? (Def is unmoving cant be bent)

The reason i ask this is for the chest armor. While the gauntlets can be made out of PVC pipe (similar to a BH).

So my question is, are their any advice anyone has to get started on this. I'm not a professional seamstress (male edition). But i can sew cloth together and am getting into prop making. So i figured this would be a fun project.

From my research it appears that a lot of people have asked for patterns but none were out there.

I read that people use seamstress and was wondering if anyone had any advice as to whom to go to. ( i do not really know how to get a local one to work on this as i have never done something like that before.)

So i did some research as to already done cloth such as Cosplay Sky. (I have had some experience from this site as on time but they would not moving the patches (for IG, IC ,TI ®) and i had to. Which was not that big of a problem and i had to switch out the patch. But has anyone had any experience with them and this costume.

but i did notice some problems with it such as costume is a little short to the feet, and That the chest armor part is leather in nature and not rigid. (might be able to get this Wicked armor i read about for revan.

(http://cosplaysky.com/star-wars-darth-r ... 7Aod6SQAwQ)

(link above is a premade that is leather instead of plastic. )

Stay away from the CPS costume for this character. They do make some costumes that you can make 501st characters with, (flight suits, officers) But their Revan is not one. Read the posts in the Revan thread and the CRL. There are a number of good examples of how others have completed their costumes. As far as complete costumes, the only one I know of at present is the Wicked Armor. Even that one will require some modification before it's approved. Many who have made their own soft parts (me included) have used the trial and error method. Cutting and sewing until it looks right on you. So far I have not found any exact patterns for any of this costume

Take your time and research. Ask questions. Lots of knowledge and experience on the boards.

Rigid pretty much means plastic/thermoplastic. No foam as the primary method of construction. CosplaySky uses a cheap, pleather-like thing for the cuirass that is just gross. Lol. (Actually, I'm of a mind that if you used the thick, cured leather that leathercraft armor makers use, you could make a case for it. But you'd obviously have to talk to the higher-ups before proceeding.)

From my experience patterning the soft parts so far, I can understand why there aren't any standard patterns out there. Things like pleat width and cape width will really depend on your frame. What I've been doing is the "drape and pattern" method...basically I've been using old fabric and bedsheets to drape over myself and/or a mannequin and manipulate them to get the right look. It is trial/error, though. Maybe someone should consider making a guide or tutorial for creating the patterns using this method... Hrm.

Just looking at the soft parts on the CosplaySky costume, you're better off not even looking at it again. XD The cape isn't box pleated and the hood doesn't cowl. You'd basically need to re-do everything; might as well come up with them from scratch in the first place.

Then there's My Wicked Armor, that's always an option. :)