• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

upgraded my Revan with full 100% black wool

en-zozallow

Just to be controversial Al :lol: my new robes were made from merino wool which is much lighter than than the wool you used. I went with something that looks as close to the game render as I could. I'm not sure I could wear something so heavy as yours (personal preference really!!).

revanallviews_zps86a24571.jpg

Regardless of material, I agree that wool is the way to go and that cotton etc makes the costume look very cheap. I also made sure that my seamstress also followed the game render with regards to the flow of the robe. IMHO, MWA is inaccurate on that front and copying the pattern into new robes isn't really adding anything to a potentially expensive upgrade. Mine looks like this:

IMG_0521_zpsczwetcxk.jpg

Unfortunately she ran out of material whilst doing the cowl so its a little small. I'm having a hell of a time finding some material thats a colour match and maerino wool is quite expensive. Hopefully I'll have the cowl sorted for MEM.

Now that Al and I have our new masks (from the very talented Purgeworx) we can continue to push the accuracy Revan forward in the UK even more.

So in conclusion, I think choose a material you're happy to pay for and will add the amount of weight that you want. It's all about the look for me so trying to get the correct shoulder and back swishes should be a goal which will set your Revan apart from the MWA based robes.

I see the matterials of a costume the same way you see the materials of real life military uniforms

Dress blues is wool not cotton

Combats is heavy durable fabric not light weight material

This sith and jedi wear this as a soldier wears a uniform

So thats my stand on materials

Ideally the armor should be leather or bronce like roman armour after all thats what the designers wanted to reicate

But we are not there yet :) plastic will habe to do for now

And another good thing from using this type of wool i used . Outside troops are nolonger a problem with the wind :) my hood dosent become a parachute. Or the skirt flys up

My firts outside troop with the original matterial i looked like a parachute :) ill see if can find a picture and I'll share it

Updated with images

First troop wind and soft material makes your fly :P

live205609_img_3984.jpg

My head looks like 4 times the size

live205609_img_3985.jpg

@Andy cant wait to troop again with you bro I found this picture from last year

Your revan and My starkiller

live205609_img_3983.jpg

might be hard to replicate that picture if we are both trooping the same character

we should do clones :P have rex and Wolfe for the first time out together

I see the matterials of a costume the same way you see the materials of real life military uniforms

Dress blues is wool not cotton

Combats is heavy durable fabric not light weight material

This sith and jedi wear this as a soldier wears a uniform

So thats my stand on materials

Ideally the armor should be leather or bronce like roman armour after all thats what the designers wanted to reicate

But we are not there yet :) plastic will habe to do for now

Exactly what I've been saying, I'll get us there with the bronze armour in due time, in due time!

I too would like to make a Darth Revan costume. I'm really new to all of this and I've read many of your comments and love your thread. A few question for you though. How did you make your hood and cape, I love the idea of the Velcro so the hood doesn't lose it shape. Did you follow a pattern or make it yourself? If you followed a pattern which pattern was it? If you made it yourself, do you have the pattern that I could use? Also were you able to find the pleated cloth at any material store? Lastly, for the long sleeve and the pants part, would you recommend wearing Under Armour? I'm really thinking of getting most of the gear from MWA, but would like to make as much of it on my own to keep the cost down. What would you recommend?

I dont know about Al, but my seamstress went and copied the render image above. She ran out of material and made mt cowl too small!!! As I used merino wool it was an expensive mistake :oops: .

Are you panning to make these yourself or get a seamstress onboard? I'm sure if you're confident in your abilities you could find a cowl pattern and go from that. My shoulder and upper swags came from a curtain pattern apparently as some people like that sort of thing. Again you can see my robes above.

I hope Al would agree with me here but I think Under Armour would be too tight for the correct look of Revan. I used a roll neck (read turtle neck) top that was a size too big in order to get the right looking creases in the arms. Besides it will be a whole lot cheaper too!!!

Good luck!!!!!

I personally couldn't find a shirt anywhere so I went to a second hand store for my black turtle neck, I tryed to get a shirt that would be loose enough to be good looking in the arms but tight enough that the chest and neck were not baggy.

Thanks so much for the reply and help. I'm planning on getting a seamstress on board with the making of the costume. She was asking if I could find a pattern of the cloak and cowl and she could make it, or at least find a pattern close to it. Junglie Scout, how do you like the Merino Wool, how hot does it get and how heavy is it? Rejean that's a great idea, I got a few places around me that I could see to find a loose turtle neck sweater. Thanks for all the help, I really appreciate it.

my shirt is not a turtle neck

it was made from scratch with a heavy cotton material.. all my set pieces were made from scratch

no patterns were used or were created

it was an on the go make. look at the images then make it work

as you can see in this image you see 4 folds in my arms

this are all fix to the sleeves they wont move and they wont wrinkle

live205609_alanmolina.revan6.jpg

and the red sash is made from an old British red coat img-thing?.out=jpg&size=l&tid=63161695

again its wool

• Like 1

Hi!

I'm awaiting my Revan costume and I read that the rings of the chest armour has to be replaced for clasps.

I realy like your clasps, where did you got them? I'm looking but I can't find nice ones anywhere...

Grtz,

Fred (Dutch Garrison)

I found something meraculas my wife's purse a "miche" the shoulder strap's clips are perfect.

I googled "miche shoulder strap quick clips hardware for sale"

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Miche-quick-cli ... 339f85e760

I'm not sure how long this link will hold so you may have to look it up yourself to get visual.

NOTE if you are reading this and choose to look this up to buy a set be careful, if you see "handle" quick clips you will be looking at a tiny version of the "SHOULDER" strap quick clips, do not get these as they are very small. Only consider the Sholder strap quick clips, they are approximately 3" by 1.5 inches (inc. the rotating bit that the strap attaches to)

And found a bunch of straps with the clips attached, quite pricey no less than two clips with the strap for 16 USD. I even happend to accedently find a backdrop into the Miche catalog website that kept asking me fore a login, on thi site they don't even offer the clips without the strap.

I was lucky enough that my wife is done with her Miche bag so I only have to purchase one Shoulder strap and quick clips set. I don't know if I could use the Leathe strap for anything yet but once I recieve my MwA perhaps I'll find a use for the straps themselves.

Wow, this looks amazing! But it must be very hot now in coming summer, hm? But awesome work! I'm still looking for a good hood and cape. This looks really awesome!

its ok  actually  not to bad.  But yes I use Revan for inside troops most of the time. but in comparison to  my  master jedi robes they are the same . specially when i wear  my jedi robe  which is also 100% wool 

Wool flows so nicely on this costume. You look fantastic.

Also between them taking beatings during troops and such they can always use upgrades...wanted or..not :)

• Like 1