• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

My first real costume

Guest Cavok

Hello all! So I have been kind of lurking around these boards trying to learn what I could about making a decent Revan costume. It's my first time really doing this (gathering materials, sewing, etc etc) so I thought I'd share my progress (even if it is a bit slow). So first I started off with Revan's mask, I was going to try my hand at fabricating one myself, but at the advice of my more experienced colleagues I instead bought one for just around the same amount of cash I would use getting the materials.

img_2896.jpg

img_2839.jpg

img_2895.jpg

Overall it's pretty sweet, and I wore it for a 5K walk just to see how it would hold up and if it would feel comfortable for long periods of time, and I was greatly surprised! I decided later on when i was ready to start doing fabrication, I'd use this as a good bit of reference.

I'm planning on making the rest (except for the lightsaber) on my own. If you guys have any pointers for a newbie to armor making that would be great!

But if not, thanks for reading anyways!

Hi there Cavok!

Welcome to the boards.

I don't know much about Revan but I do enjoy a good build thread. I usually consider my own build threads a sort of diary for myself so I may look back when it's finished and see my own development. It's fun. It might also be very helpful for other lurkers and help them take the step to get started.

So my suggestion would be. Think it, write it, do it, show it. And most importantly: Have fun.

Don't be afraid to ask questions, there are plenty of helpful people around. Don't be discouraged if answers take time, there are many costumes here and not everyone know Revan. Many of the questions have probably been answered before in another thread so learn to love the search function.

Research, research, and, did I mention, have fun.

I look forward to follow your work. :)

///Maxim

If you're doing your own fabrication, I suggest taking a look at what has already been done, but honestly, the best thing you can do is to print out full size images of the armor, scaled to your own dimensions, and lay out images of revan's armor over images of yourself. This will ensure your proportions are correct and fit to YOU and will also ensure that you're aware of each and every detail of the piece.

Thanks for the pointers guys. So for the longest time I was trying to figure out how to do the armor. At first I thought about getting some old football or Hockey equipment and modding it. But that stuff is way too bulky.

Then I found Blooddragon's awesome Revan build, and decided to go with cardboard!

(Quality is iffy cause of ipod camera)

img_2900.jpg

So first thing I did was take my measurements. Since this is just the front pieces for now I just halved my all around measurements. Once I did that I went ahead and made some guidelines on the cardboard for how long and how tall it had to be. Once I got the height I made the raised plates so they could provide a more clear picture.

img_2901.jpg

After a healthy dose of swearing while cutting the cardboard, I had finished my first attempt. It was too narrow and too tall for my tastes. So I went ahead and redid it this time with a bit more of an idea of how to go about it.

img_2903.jpg

At this point my hand began to feel like jelly, but I was darn proud of myself. This time I went ahead and sketched out the details of the chest plate so I had a more clear picture of what the end product was going to look like. Once cut out, it was definitely apparent that the second attempt was the better one.

img_2904.jpg

Here's a compare and contrast. Overall, pretty happy with this end result. Next I'mma work on the abdominal part!

Guest Cavok

Hello all! So here's an update on my costume adventures.

So me and my partner went shopping for supplies for our costumes and I picked up a LOT of fabric. (Image may not contain the whole ton of fabric)

img_2914.jpg

After which she began to sew the capelet and cape for me because she is the best person.

img_2912.jpg

img_2913.jpg

img_2916.jpg

Needless to say it came out good.

Meanwhile I started work on the abdominal armor, pretty much the same way as before.

img_2915.jpg

After that we got together for a day and I started the first coat of resin.

img_2917.jpg

img_2918.jpg

This came out pretty good so next day (today) After the first coat dried I got to doing the second coat. The armor started bending out of shape so this time I just set them between some old oil jugs we had laying around to keep them from folding out.

img_2920.jpg

img_2922.jpg

img_2923.jpg

So once the second coat dries I'm gonna go ahead and do the details (the lines and stuff) out of plaster of paris and add the elevated plates. Then go over it all with resin at least two more times to get everything all nice and stiff. Wish me luck!

Looks like you have a great start. One of the things I did was use cotton cord for the raised details. I glued it it place with liquid stitch then covere it with the next coat of poly. The cotton soaks up the resin and stiffens the whole project. I used bondo to smooth the details after it all set. Be sure to resin the inside as well. Thin coats are your friend. The more you put on the heavier it gets.

Side note: I got notice today mine has been approved.

Guest Cavok

Thanks Dragon, and that tip may come useful! So. Slight update. It turns put I did not put enough catalyst in the resin. SOOOOO it never hardened. OH WELL. So I will be remaking the cardboard pieces and trying my hand at this again.

Thanks Dragon, and that tip may come useful! So. Slight update. It turns put I did not put enough catalyst in the resin. SOOOOO it never hardened. OH WELL. So I will be remaking the cardboard pieces and trying my hand at this again.

Try brushing on a thin coat of resin with double the normal amount of catalyst. This often will cure the first coat. You will need to work fast as it will set very quickly. Make sure your room temp is over 70 and be careful with fumes. There are some good Tutorials of the boards about using resin.

Looks great!

Seeing as im attempting to do something similar. I was wondering were you got the cardboard tutorial from. From what i read above it might of been from this or another forum? Do you mind posting the link.

Second The capette looks awsome. Any advice on how to do that?

....I have that hoodie. I am using that hoodie when I take pictures of my mask when it's done. (SMALL WORLD, huh??)

Love the custom fabrication that's going on here. Will definitely be watching with great interest!