• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Lord Starkiller (Hoth)

Guest DarthDrac

Guest DarthDrac

Hi all I'm looking at doing this costume and any advice anyone can give would be great, I will post up when I have updates etc.

It is a difficult outfit to find references pictures for especially detailed close ups, the spine area at the rear is a puzzle for me, the rear of the abs section for instance, is it more of a solid piece or a 'laced' effect? Also the neck piece on the spine is hard to see although I believe it looks like a chocolate bar effect, if that makes any sense lol :)

I am looking to do the shoulder armour pieces from Pep and source the helmet from Wicked Armour, and I have already sourced the under suit also.

Other parts I'm making from a mix of Sintra/Foamex, and Styrene. The boots seem easy enough, there are numerous boots out there from gothic to motorcycle boots that can do the job really well.

I think I'm right in saying that the boots have silver armour pieces on them? Possibly Sintra molded around would sort that.

Anyway I don't want you falling asleep reading this so I'll post the pic and say bye for now :mrgreen:

image-10.jpg

Hi there. I may be able to help you with some reference on the back plate area, as I've been researching this costume for a LONG TIME for my son's build! I've gathered a large number of reference images from the game. The quality isn't always the best, as I've sometimes taken pics directly from off the screen. Anyways, here's a few I have gathered. Hope this helps! 8)

IMG_6766.jpg

IMG_6831.jpg

IMG_9347.jpg

IMG_6763.jpg

IMG_6764.jpg

IMG_6761.jpg

IMG_6765.jpg

IMG_9254.jpg

IMG_9296.jpg

8_star12.jpg

IMG_9349-1.jpg

IMG_6812.jpg

IMG_9359.jpg

And here's a pic of part of the back plate I've made for my son's costume. It's mostly made from 1/8" thick sintra. Again, I hope these pics help! 8)

IMG_9456.jpg

Guest DarthDrac

Hi Jeff, thanks for the images, it's very helpful. Good to see your over here too, thanks again for the info you supplied on the RPF the other day too ;)

So as I suspected it is defiantly a lace up design, that's good to know. I'm still on the armour at the moment haven't come out the Pep stage but hopefully it will be the right size for me, fingers crossed.

PS: It's very quiet here I noticed, :?

Hi there. I may be able to help you with some reference on the back plate area, as I've been researching this costume for a LONG TIME for my son's build! I've gathered a large number of reference images from the game. The quality isn't always the best, as I've sometimes taken pics directly from off the screen. Anyways, here's a few I have gathered. Hope this helps! 8)

And here's a pic of part of the back plate I've made for my son's costume. It's mostly made from 1/8" thick sintra. Again, I hope these pics help! 8)

IMG_9456.jpg

Glad I could be of help! Yes it's been quiet over here for awhile now. :? There doesn't seem to be as much interest in the EU characters, & Starkiller in particular anymore, except for a few of us who are working on various versions of his costumes. I think it's because the game is quite a few years old now, & not on peoples minds as much any more. Whenever something new comes out, that's when you'll see a big influx of interest in new characters! If you need any further help or advice, please don't hesitate to ask! :wink: Good luck with your build! 8)

Hi Jeff, thanks for the images, it's very helpful. Good to see your over here too, thanks again for the info you supplied on the RPF the other day too ;)

So as I suspected it is defiantly a lace up design, that's good to know. I'm still on the armour at the moment haven't come out the Pep stage but hopefully it will be the right size for me, fingers crossed.

PS: It's very quiet here I noticed, :?

IMG_9456.jpg

Guest DarthDrac

Yeah that makes sense I guess, it's a shame. Everyone is still interested in the film characters after all these years why not the EU? But never mind.

Thanks for the offer I'll take you up on that if and when I need some advice :D

Glad I could be of help! Yes it's been quiet over here for awhile now. :? There doesn't seem to be as much interest in the EU characters, & Starkiller in particular anymore, except for a few of us who are working on various versions of his costumes. I think it's because the game is quite a few years old now, & not on peoples minds as much any more. Whenever something new comes out, that's when you'll see a big influx of interest in new characters! If you need any further help or advice, please don't hesitate to ask! :wink: Good luck with your build! 8)

I like the work you have shown. I would like to see it in context on your back or a dummy of your back.

But this is not why I am writing. I want to challenge the notion that folk do not like the Expanded Universe and for that reason there is not a chorus of replies to your build thread yet.

I have a few build threads on this forum. But I don't recall either of you commenting on them. But that is only natural. ¿Are you interested in making a Darth Bane, Prince Xizor, or Imperial Knight? Possibly, possibly not. If not, you may stop by and say “nice suit,” or “¿have you tried this solution.” But that takes effort. And effort comes from shared passion.

One way a costume generates passion is when it becomes a commodity, meaning you can buy it. The artist who sells his work generates more interest than the artist who works for his art. The Flagship Eclipse does not cater to vendors to the extent other more profitable based characters detachments do. By nature, many of our costumes are one-ups.

When you cannot buy it, you can watch. If your interest is in another character, you may not be inspired by a Non-Revan thread. It might take a person who simply loves costuming for costuming’s sake to respond to a build thread of a costume they never intend to make.

I celebrate well made costumes. I like to watch other builds. But still, I tend to reserve comments for when the suit starts to come together, and when someone does something incredibly ingenious.

Folk still love the EU. That is why SW is still on the shelves. You are likely being watched more than you know.

Be well,

And keep doing what you do for you.

Sharing it here is highly appreciated.

858615_609590552411578_109104443_o.jpg

Looks like Jeff here already has you in good hands :D

I am currently a "Costume Mentor" for all things Starkiller, so I'll pop in now and again and try to help you as best I can. :D I can honestly say I'm not as familiar with the DLC costumes as I am the ones from the base game though, so bear with me.

Based on what Jeff posted in Nerf's thread, I would agree that there's some "armor" plating added to the boots as you suggested. Again, based on what Jeff posted I would agree that the back plate is laced, but like Thomas said, scale and the way it sits are going to be everything with this costume.

I personally have tried to make soft pieces when they were "supposed" to be hard and the current LMO had called me out on it, so as I said before, if you're going to argue the point, come at it with solid evidence of the "hard" part moving as if it were soft.

My semi-silence has been a combination of preparing for a local convention and working on a Darth Revan costume. And for some reason, the forum is not notifying me of posts like it should. :~ So I do apologize for not getting to your post any sooner than 2 days out :P

Keep in mind, a lot of people too are going to be waiting with baited breath to see what new costumes come from "Star Wars Rebels" and Episodes 7-9, I know I am :D

Guest DarthDrac

Well, firstly I would like to point out that my comment had no malicious intent, and I Did not use the word 'LIKE' I just stated that I was surprised that the 'interest' may not have been there as Jeff stated.

I also did not imply that there was no interest in MY thread for that reason either, I apologise if you may have taken this the wrong way, as I said no offence was intended.

As for commenting on your build thread I have not seen it, and I have only just joined on this forum so have not hat the chance to pop up on anyone's threads as of yet. I have been a long term member off the RPF for example and I always comment on builds there even if I have no interest in the subject.

So that said, hopefully it clears this up :D

I like the work you have shown. I would like to see it in context on your back or a dummy of your back.

But this is not why I am writing. I want to challenge the notion that folk do not like the Expanded Universe and for that reason there is not a chorus of replies to your build thread yet.

I have a few build threads on this forum. But I don't recall either of you commenting on them. But that is only natural. ¿Are you interested in making a Darth Bane, Prince Xizor, or Imperial Knight? Possibly, possibly not. If not, you may stop by and say “nice suit,” or “¿have you tried this solution.” But that takes effort. And effort comes from shared passion.

One way a costume generates passion is when it becomes a commodity, meaning you can buy it. The artist who sells his work generates more interest than the artist who works for his art. The Flagship Eclipse does not cater to vendors to the extent other more profitable based characters detachments do. By nature, many of our costumes are one-ups.

When you cannot buy it, you can watch. If your interest is in another character, you may not be inspired by a Non-Revan thread. It might take a person who simply loves costuming for costuming’s sake to respond to a build thread of a costume they never intend to make.

I celebrate well made costumes. I like to watch other builds. But still, I tend to reserve comments for when the suit starts to come together, and when someone does something incredibly ingenious.

Folk still love the EU. That is why SW is still on the shelves. You are likely being watched more than you know.

Be well,

And keep doing what you do for you.

Sharing it here is highly appreciated.

858615_609590552411578_109104443_o.jpg

Guest DarthDrac

Thank you for your reply, and the info, it's much appreciated. If you have a build thread here I'd like to see it for the Darth Revan, good luck with finishing it up :)

Looks like Jeff here already has you in good hands :D

I am currently a "Costume Mentor" for all things Starkiller, so I'll pop in now and again and try to help you as best I can. :D I can honestly say I'm not as familiar with the DLC costumes as I am the ones from the base game though, so bear with me.

Based on what Jeff posted in Nerf's thread, I would agree that there's some "armor" plating added to the boots as you suggested. Again, based on what Jeff posted I would agree that the back plate is laced, but like Thomas said, scale and the way it sits are going to be everything with this costume.

I personally have tried to make soft pieces when they were "supposed" to be hard and the current LMO had called me out on it, so as I said before, if you're going to argue the point, come at it with solid evidence of the "hard" part moving as if it were soft.

My semi-silence has been a combination of preparing for a local convention and working on a Darth Revan costume. And for some reason, the forum is not notifying me of posts like it should. :~ So I do apologize for not getting to your post any sooner than 2 days out :P

Keep in mind, a lot of people too are going to be waiting with baited breath to see what new costumes come from "Star Wars Rebels" and Episodes 7-9, I know I am :D

Guest DarthDrac

Hey all, just wondered if I could get some feedback on my armour, im starting it in Pep and im wondering if the scale needs to be a bit bigger? or will this do?

Bare in mind this is just regular paper not card stock so doesnt show it in the best light :D I m thinking it needs to go bigger, but the back looks further apart as it had slipped a bit.

image-15.jpg

image-14.jpg

image-13.jpg

image-12.jpg

image-11.jpg

Any feeback would be appriciated :D

hmmm, some pictures would lead me to believe you need to scale it up some:

http://static1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2 ... r_Hoth.jpg

Others though make it look fine:

http://old.gamegrin.com/game-gallery/al ... th_064.jpg

I think the shoulders will definitely need to lie flatter onto your shoulder, but I know they're probably just hanging there for the picture anyway :P

Looks like it should be a good start :D

Guest DarthDrac

Yeah its difficult isnt it, the shoulders where just sat there for the pic as you say. I have now messed around with it and scaled it up a bit, once I've built the scaled up version I'll post up some pics in a few days :D thanks for the feedback :)

hmmm, some pictures would lead me to believe you need to scale it up some:

http://static1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2 ... r_Hoth.jpg

Others though make it look fine:

http://old.gamegrin.com/game-gallery/al ... th_064.jpg

I think the shoulders will definitely need to lie flatter onto your shoulder, but I know they're probably just hanging there for the picture anyway :P

Looks like it should be a good start :D

I realize that you don't have a good way to attach the paper to you while taking pics, but I will say my first instinct is to say to go just a bit larger. It's just my opinion though, so take it for what it is. The overall shape looks pretty good, so keep up the good work! I'll be interested to see the scaled up version! Keep at it! It's coming along nicely! 8)

Guest DarthDrac

Thanks it's much appreciated, the more I look at it the more I see it certainly needs to go larger, I shall keep the thread updated as often as I can :) thanks for the interest :D

I realize that you don't have a good way to attach the paper to you while taking pics, but I will say my first instinct is to say to go just a bit larger. It's just my opinion though, so take it for what it is. The overall shape looks pretty good, so keep up the good work! I'll be interested to see the scaled up version! Keep at it! It's coming along nicely! 8)

Guest DarthDrac

Well I've re-scaled the armour but I think I may have gone a bit too big now :( let me know what you think (please excuse the t-shirt :roll: lol)

photo.jpg

photo517.jpg

photo323.jpg

photo219.jpg

photo120.jpg

photo1.jpg

photo2-1.jpg

Hmmm, could you do another chest piece so we can see how much of a gap there is between them or would that take too long?

Either that or show me where the center line of your chest is so I can figure it out that way :P

Guest DarthDrac

I was trying to avoid having to do the other side as well but I may have to, the center line of my chest is where the 'Y' is on the t-shirt. I won't get much chance to do much on it this week due to work, but I'll post up when I have done more :) cheers

EDIT: I was thinking it may need to scale down just a small amount to bring it to the right size, the more I look at it the more it looks ok but there is just something off about it :(

Hmmm, could you do another chest piece so we can see how much of a gap there is between them or would that take too long?

Either that or show me where the center line of your chest is so I can figure it out that way :P

It's a bit hard to tell, as you're only showing one side of the armor on you at a time, but just looking at it, I'd say you're probably right. It does appear to be a bit too big now. :? Being able to see both sides on you at the same time, to see how close or far apart the armor is from one another would be helpful. I do think that a slight reduction in the size will help though. Maybe split the difference between the 1st & 2nd versions! Hope this helps! :wink:

Sorry, I didn't notice that the thread had already gone to a 2nd page! My bad! I do echo Drago's opinion though! I also think that the bottom edge of the back of the chest piece should just cover the bottom of the shoulder blade. Looking forward to seeing more! 8)

Guest DarthDrac

Thanks for the input as always Jeff, I agree with the size issue I will probably try and go somewhere in between the two versions I'll keep you posted :)

Sorry, I didn't notice that the thread had already gone to a 2nd page! My bad! I do echo Drago's opinion though! I also think that the bottom edge of the back of the chest piece should just cover the bottom of the shoulder blade. Looking forward to seeing more! 8)