• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

DS: Dark Side Legion Designation Discussion

Kylo

Yeah I thought it was an informal suggestion, that we were referring to, such as an internal reference not an actual change to our lettering that would differentiate us from the SLD. Unless I'm mistaken there.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought you had meant "Sith Lords" and "Dark Siders" were becoming "Sith Legends" and "Darkside Adepts" for everyone, same as the previous posters. Admittedly, I'm a little confused as well why the distinction is being made. I thought we were proposing suggestions that all detachments could agree on?

I can still appreciate the separation of film SL's from EU SL's into 2 different detachments. I'd imagine it would cause a lot more chaos combining the 2 given the drastic differences in designs, knowledge-bases, and types of research. I would very much like to never see that thought cross anyone's mind again, but that's just me :P

The Flagship Eclipse was formed out of the Mara Jade Builders Group.

Mara-Jade.jpg

In consideration of the purpose of this discussion all of our venerable Mara Jade incarnations would best be categorized under Denizen and not Dark Side Adept. To my knowledge, Mara never uses the Dark Side of the Force.

While I agree it is a fine point, that is the whole point of this discussion.

Be well,

Thomas

1074220_549220875115213_1719853743_o.jpg

An author and a gentleman, Timothy Zahn is perhaps the most responsive creator I have had the honour to communicate with. Here is an excerpt from our communication last night;

I recognize Mara Jade was not trained as a Sith. ¿But would I also be correct in my perception that she did not use the Dark Side of the Force as well?

It is a small but important distinction for the 501st’s new system of classification. And your thoughts, more than anyone else’s would be vital in the process.

Be well dear sir,

Thomas

Timothy Zahn

3/2, 11:21pm

Timothy Zahn

You're correct: Mara was not a Sith. She was trained in the Force, but without either the Sith or Jedi philosophies. However, since she was convinced she was working for justice as the Emperor's Hand, she was probably closer to the Jedi side than the Sith.

Bottom line: She was an Imperial and a Force-user, but not a Sith. Offhand, I can't think of any other major players in the EU who fits that specific description, so I'm guessing that, classification-wise, she's going to end up in a class by herself.

But then, really, isn't that where she belongs?

With this in mind, I recommend moving all incarnations of Mara Jade to the category Denizens. But I also believe that Denizens should be broken up into Citizens and Denizens. I would place Mara Jade, Prince Xizor, Guri, Villainous Senators, Separtists, in Citizens and leave Denizens as the traditional home to Tusken Raiders, Gamorean Guards, Jawas, Wampas, Skiff personal, and other fringe elements.

Be well,

Thomas

I am quite late to this discussion, but I've read the entire thread, and I'd like to throw this in the ring.

If we still need more discussion on Visas in particular, I have several direct connections to Chris Avellone at Obsidian and I can ask what the intention with the character was. Personally, I'm of the idea that the apprentice of a Sith Lord also becomes a Sith Lord (as it appears to be the consensus). That's how it works with the Rule of Two, anyway. Unless a character who is an apprentice is specifically referred to as not an Sith (as Ventress was in the Clone Wars), they should be considered a Sith Lord.

I also agree with Thomas's analysis on Mara Jade. Overall, I'm actually glad to see some divisions being made in the designations to be more specific. These things should evolve with informed discussion between members the decision affects. :)