• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

UK Revan Lightsaber Project

Junglie Scout

After clearing my Revan last year, I found it nigh on impossible to find a lightsaber that was upto my accuracy standard. There were some good ones out there, but they just weren't right.

Fast forward 9 months.......yes 9 months!!!!! For a simple piece of turned metal, it transpired that it became a bit of an epic to make. The whole saber was computer modelling then the resulting program run on a computerised lathe. Oh and he also had to make bespoke tooling too!!!

All I can say is that the guy who made these is a an absolute star and gave up a rediculous amount of his own time to make them.

They still have some anodosing work to complete the look and of course the innards to fit in place, but for now I'm one happy bunny.

13FF2CE8-5D8B-4ABF-B4D4-12D4E8B8600A_zpsc9svlwbc.jpg

CB2F68AA-0EE9-4E35-B53A-6C09D13F2AB5_zps7lhnrrvm.jpg

E81BFA05-050A-4E0A-8E18-823B94C08B17_zps4yoqufh9.jpg

I think the scale is spot on too :thumbsup: .

EC18E3CC-3115-454C-8281-2432E9EB79D6_zpsgljd8c7s.jpg

very nice.

I'm actually having a few made in the UK myself. my karate instructor manages an engineering company and during a random conversation I find out he has a machinist that can do whatever he wants for him.

I measured out all the dips and grooves etc.. and sent him a printout and he'll let me know soon what he thinks.

Only problem I have is he doesn't think he's able to make the pommel.. seems to be the hardest part to get right but we'll see.

Nice to see a few more UK sabersmiths popping up able to make these... not easy to find an accurate one.

Glad to hear it mate!!!! Lets hope you get a result on the pommel. The guy who made these for me used a 5 axis milling machine to get the shape right. He also milled some grooves in the bottom so that the sound from the speaker could travel.

He also made it integral to the last inch of the saber body for strength. A good idea I thought tbh.

I'm definately no sabersmith and don't intend to be one; this was just a project to get a decent saber and have control over how it looked.

Good luck with yours and I really hope the pommel comes out ok :D .

I won't be attaching it to my armour. The UKG GML has stated that at no time is Revan shown with his lightsaber attched to his person, therefore under the UKG standards, I can't do it.

I have to admit though that I agree with him although at non canon events, it's not an issue, besides I like the idea of saber swinging anyway :shred: .

I always err on the side of local policy when it comes to trooping. We have our standards for membership obviously, but if a Garrison wishes to wear logos, or in our case, we do St. Patrick's Day and Christmas-themed events too where we decorate our costumes accordingly. The same goes with lightsabers. The lightsaber itself is optional but if worn should be as accurate as possible. If it were my event I was coordinating I wouldn't care either way as long as it was "close" and not either super- out of theme or super recognizable such as a main character from a movie.

But... not my event, not my vote. If you are bladeless, perhaps sew a small pouch somewhere behind the folds of one of your pockets?

I go lightsaber-less more often than not so that I have two free hands.

Wow, that sounds like a really good incentive to go saber-less... XD

While your GML is right, the point still stands that Revan has to put it *somewhere* when he's not using it... Lol. Seems like there would be no reason to carry it bladeless, in that instance. It would just be occupying an otherwise free hand, without any "show."

But anyway, I only ask because I'm trying to decide where I'm attaching mine. I've thought about adding magnets to the small of my back and having it chill back there while I'm not using it, but I can still have it on hand to show people. I know in the past, others have attached them to the rings at the bottom, but it seems like it would tug too much to one side if I did that.