• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

working on Revan

Blood-dragon

Hi all. I'm Jack (Blood-dragon on the Boards), Everglades Squad, Florida Garrison. I've been hanging around Flagship Eclipse for a couple of years now and after many moons of reading and research, have finally decided to build a Revan. It seems that at present, Master Robs kit is the Holly Grail of Revan costumes. I would love to have one of his kits but have opted to DIY for several reasons. Being of slight build (5'9", 155) I am afraid that one of the WA kits would look like my fathers armor on me. There's also the "I did it myself" thing and the cost/wait time. I elected to fall back on some of my past prop building experience and build all of my hard parts out of chipboard/cardboard and resin. I have taken a lot of inspiration fro Lord Atrocity (Cuirass) and Draco (mask) in starting my build.

Here's a link to picts of progress so far. Please feel free to comment.

http://s1212.photobucket.com/user/JW635 ... an%20build

I'm an inch taller than you and it looks just fine on me, I applied heat and curved the armor a slight bit to fit better after a few runs. The only issue is inability to cross my arms entirely. BUT good on you for wanting to do your own, I look forward to seeing it.

Guest Mojofarian

It looks awesome. I didn't see the belt ring yet. I have just poured a mold for that. I will form my first one tomorrow and post a pic on it. If you haven't done that piece yet I might be able to get it to you.

It looks awesome. I didn't see the belt ring yet. I have just poured a mold for that. I will form my first one tomorrow and post a pic on it. If you haven't done that piece yet I might be able to get it to you.

Great. I have been going nuts trying to find reference info for the ring. Everything I've been able to find in the local stores that might work just won't cut it. Since I've got the measurements of the MWA piece I'm toying with making my own. I'd love to see yours.

Here's an update on progress so far.

Most of the armor hard parts are painted and ready for weathering.

Here is a link to some of the progress photos.

http://s1212.photobucket.com/user/JW6350/library/Revan%202

I tried to post separate photos but the site kept telling me the files were to big.

The ring is laminated from wooded embroidery rings, cotton cord and polyester resin. The color pict looks a bit dark. It's more of a silver/grey then it shows.

The bracers are ready to be weathered and you can see the hinge and seam with the Velcro attachment. I plan to line them with thin foam so they will stay in place better without being to tight. The hand armor will be attached to the gloves with industrial Velcro.

The mask is on the non-talking head and has been weathered. The head is a bit small but gives a fair view of the fit. I haven't decided if I want to clear coat the mask or not. No new photos of the front armor but it is ready for straps. Once I can hang it on the mannequin I'll be able to start on the back.

About to start on the soft parts. I think I have the cape and hakama sorted out but still am having trouble with the caplet and hood. Any assistance with fabric amounts and patterns will be greatly appreciated. Also I'm still looking for vinyl/leather for the armor bridge.

Loving the pictures you have! The mask and vembraces look great, looks like you fabricated yourself an awesome ring, too!

Definitely clear coat everything. It will protect against chipping and any weathering you *don't* want. I even go so far as to clear coat before I start weathering, then weather, then clear coat again.

The hood I patterned using the hood on one of my favorite hoodies. I just looked at how the hood hung on my head and made the appropriate modifications (longer pieces for the cowl, draped a bit more in the front, etc). With the capelet I'm draping some cheap muslin over the shoulders of my mannequin to get the right look and pattern before I cut into any good fabric. I'm looking at 2-3 yards overall for both the capelet and hood, if that helps any.

For the armor bridge, I'm using silver PVC fabric and ribbing it similar to a TK neckseal. The fabric is kind of bright so I'll be using some fabric/upholstery airbrush paints to darken the ridges a bit. I chose PVC because it was already available in a similar color to what I wanted. I've got some scrap vinyl I'll sew onto the back to make it a bit stronger.

I sent you a PM. What I was actually able to do was make the cape/capelet and hood all in 1- it hangs much nicer. All in all for the soft parts I used about 7 yards of fabric. (mind you Mojofarian is about 6'3" so we had to use extra to get the length).

Pics and patterns hopefully will be up on the thread Sunday!

Luna

I sent you a PM. What I was actually able to do was make the cape/capelet and hood all in 1- it hangs much nicer. All in all for the soft parts I used about 7 yards of fabric. (mind you Mojofarian is about 6'3" so we had to use extra to get the length).

Luna

Thanks for the info. It helps a lot. I can't wait to see your patterns. I'm planning to use a lighter blend rather then 100% cotton bottom weight as most of my trooping is down here in South FL (a wretched hive of heat and humidity :)) ). Still looking for fabric for my armour bridge.

Luna

Looking forward to seeing aforementioned "pics and patterns"

I don't have a checklist handy at the moment, but I'd strongly suggest getting with your GML so that he can get some photos sent to the LMO for approval.

I don't have a checklist handy at the moment, but I'd strongly suggest getting with your GML so that he can get some photos sent to the LMO for approval.

Thanks for the encouragement. :D I need to tweak a few more things to make it more "troop-able" and then I'll send up photos.

Nicely done. I think you're definitely ready for submission. As a future project and not one for approval, I might suggest adding a little bit more paint detailing to the mask, get some different shades of red and red/silver mixed in there. But it's totally awesome as is. Great job.

Nicely done. I think you're definitely ready for submission. As a future project and not one for approval, I might suggest adding a little bit more paint detailing to the mask, get some different shades of red and red/silver mixed in there. But it's totally awesome as is. Great job.

Thanks. You're right on with the mask :yup: . Had some great color variations after weathering but when I clear coated it they all evened out. So that's an upcoming project. Photos have been sent up to the GML so now we wait. :)