• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Yet another new Starkiller costumer

Guest Chuckachu

Guest Chuckachu

Hello all, I'm working on joining the ranks of costumers after alot of years of flip flopping for and against it. Having said that I'm torn between the Concept Sith Lord Starkiller and Darth Nihilus. Since I'm in the SK area I have more research questions for him before I begin to really setup a budget for this project. (Budget time and money)

The "flak vest" I have found with my weak google fu any examples of that for purchase so I'm a little confused about where to pick that one up, components or whole. Any one pointing to the smoking gun on that would be great.

Second the obi, that just confuses the heck outta me as I don't see how one would make that.

Huge Hello and WELCOME!!

Feel free to show these photos to a Seamstress.

I made my entire costume from scratch. As most of us have to, because they dont sell this stuff quality enough online.

Being as though I just made/worked on both of these costumes in the last few months I hope I can assist,

The Vest

I started shopping and purchased a piece of VERY DARK charcoal pleater. and paying VERY CLOSE attention to the design of the concept art I sewed straight lines into about a yard of material (approx 2.5 inches wide) **Dependant upon ones body scale proportions you will note that there are 7 or so lines on the front** (i lined it with foam haha)

I then made a "vest" Here is a photo.

My Obi is a very thin pleather that I then lined with cotton.

20131006_134029_zps18cd9d04.jpg

20131006_133909_zpsed0a4014.jpg

20131006_133840_zps6dac7382.jpg

20131006_133832_zpsdf31d2e3.jpg

20131006_133818_zps2e38a9c4.jpg

20131006_134029_zpsa56a66fc.jpg

20131006_133812_zpsaadc6d63.jpg

Here is my WIP

Might help out your seamstress as well (or you if you sew)

viewtopic.php?f=73&t=2556

If you are seeking budget

Set aside 900.00 for the costume IF YOU DO NOT SEW

I completed the entire costume in 200.00 (or less) But I sewed the entire thing from scratch. (boots included)

Having something approved by the 501st is a heck of a task (totally not undo-able, just need to set aside enough $ for mistakes is why I say this) Research the wazoo out of these 2 costumes before doing anything. coming here was a good step! :)

Having done/seen/researched BOTH Throughly. Id advise going with Nihl. The costume is mostly soft parts. No weird colors of cloth to match up/mess up on. Its a much easier costume to find and just buy as well.

There are Dozens (maybe even 100?) of Nihl's out there and only a couple approved Starkiller concepts. Why? Cause the Concept Robes need to be made with such attentiveness to detail that no one makes em in bulk.

Where as with Nihl, your dealing with robes, and being as though robes are something you can be 10lbs larger or smaller in, people tend to make em more readily and are available to more people. ( cant gain or lose weight with my costume, I look like I have a bag on me) ha!

I am the biggest Starkiller fan in the world. I want to see more people make him. But his costumes are VERY complicated.

If your willing to do the HEAVY amounts of reseacrh itll take, DO IT! If not. Go for the easier of the two.

=)

Just my 2 cents.

100% AGREE with Amidala on EVERYTHING she said! Starkiller's costumes, although AWESOME, are EXTREMELY DETAILED, & thus HARD & TIME CONSUMING to make! They're DEFINITELY NOT for the "FAINT OF HEART" to tackle! I've been working on my son's Lord Starkiller costume on & off for about 3 years, & it's just now nearing completion! :shock: I'm NOT trying to discourage you from doing Starkiller, as I'd LOVE to see more in the Legion! Just know going in that it's going to take LOTS OF TIME & $$$, unless you've GOT THE SKILLS! I look forward to seeing whatever you decide to do! You DEFINITELY came to the RIGHT PLACE, as we're ALL HERE TO HELP! GOOD LUCK to you! 8)

Guest Chuckachu

Well I don't know if I have the skill, yet. Never sewed though my mom looked at the images and said that either Nihilus or the Sith Acolyte would be what she would advise for the first costume. I think I may just go with the Sith Acolyte first since there are some other folks making molds out there...

Well then look at it this way, nothing is stopping you from having more than one costume! Heck many of us here have have more than one. Start with the easier of the two. Then you can get trooping!!

I loove Acos and Nihl. Both are great costumes!!

The nihl mask and costume might be easier than Aco?

The awesome Jeff might be able to confirm which is easier at this time.

A few months ago when I was looking into making a 501st costume I originally looked into a Nihl or Aco and was mailed almost immediatly by people selling Nihl masks.

The aco in reality is very detailed as well. While it lacks a little less color it makes up for it in details and armor.

Its a costume you'd def need to set aside 900$ for as well :)

Guest Chuckachu

haha Yeah I'm planning this to either way to take a year to really finish 100% either money or skill wise. I've gotten tons of pep files and quotes here and there for bits and pieces. Actually got some quotes from Mynock / Drunkmynock (on thepdf.com) about his work which is rather awesome so we'll see. Started looking in the direction of helmeted costuming since 501st would want me to shave for most of the sith lords....and I'm rather attached to my goatee. (13 years in the Airforce being forced to shave and now I hate to.)

I'm still coin tossing between Acolyte and Nihilus simply from material access. Mynock also made a pretty sweet Nihilus mask but I don't think he still has the molds for those.

hehe no no no I am a chick with long hair! you dont have to ^.- Just conceal it! :) I pull mine back under my hood and keep my head WAY DOWN! XD

I hear ya on the goat, My "bestie" who does Nihlius has a HUGE Goatee! XD I love his goat. He wears a Bacalava to conceal it ;)

Trust me most of us are tatoo faced, goatee wearing, long haired metal heads. Weve ALL got something (off) about us,

Heck! Im a woman and I do a MALE Sith Lord. Psh.... Always ways around things! ^.-

The awesome Jeff might be able to confirm which is easier at this time.

A few months ago when I was looking into making a 501st costume I originally looked into a Nihl or Aco and was mailed almost immediatly by people selling Nihl masks.

The aco in reality is very detailed as well. While it lacks a little less color it makes up for it in details and armor.

Its a costume you'd def need to set aside 900$ for as well :)

Thanks Dawn! :) Again, I agree with you 100%! :yup: In my opinion, the Acolyte is a tougher build, both technically & financially! The armor is QUITE DETAILED, & if you can't make the armor yourself, it's going to get expensive, potentially upwards of $1000 depending on the maker! :shock: No matter who you decide on, to do it well it's going to take time & $$$. My suggestion is to take your time, gather pieces as you can, & above all, ENJOY YOURSELF & THE PROCESS!!! This stuff should ALWAYS BE FUN! If it's not, then it's NOT WORTH DOING! GOOD LUCK! 8)

Guest Chuckachu

I apprecate all your info. I've found a couple of folks but like you said its crazy expensive if you can't build it yourself. As it is I'm going to make a Imperial Staff Officer (black) first as its a bit easier to get and afford. Then I'll get the pep files and such and work on building something more in line with my first desire.