• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Ventress....first build EVAH!!!

Guest GeekRN

Guest GeekRN

Hi folks.....I have yet to get some pics together to share as I am still working on various pieces. Belt and bracers are done for the most part...might go with a bigger buckle, though. I want this the 501st worthy so I have been slow and steady working on this. I have a bald cap BUT my hair is crazy short already and I am really just thinking of ding the ol zero-guard and buzzing my hurr......no biggie for me nor hubby...he likes it. I found a couple options of boots....surprisingly found a pair at freaking WalMart.....but it's over the knee. It appears to be a soft leather like material that I can either: a) crop away and sew a new seam or B) fold it inward and give the appearance that it is knee high. Any advice is greatly appreciated!!!

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mo-Mo-Women-s-Tammy-Over-the-Knee-Boot/23878651

[attachment=0]my ventress belt-skewed.jpg[/attachment]Thanks for your imput as it is greatly appreciated......I still am undecided and I'm continuing to look at different places for boots. My belt is complete (thanks to a friend who works with leather more that I) The buckle is fashioned from a floor ring and bathtub decorator ring......it's hard to see because I probably should of worn something different to contrast it more. Once I get my shirt completed and my skirt I'll post a more fitting pic.

Thank you sooooooo much!! One more question that I am torn with doing is the make-up. I want this to last for a little while when worn and something I won't sweat off. I have Mehron setting powder once the make up is applied but I figured with this build in particular that only my hands/some of wrist and of course my face/ears/head will the most coverage that I will need. I've heard of good results with mixing Pros-Aide and Liquitex acrylics.......once dry and not tacky since Pros-Aide is adhesive in nature I'd set the make up with the powder. From what I read in some other threads here that Lady B had an awesome friend skilled with makeup help with hers I think. (Her entire build is just totally amazing and her Ventress is my girl crush LOL......nope not in that way......just pure admiration LOL) Is there anyone who has experience with paints and if what I am leaning toward is safe to apply to face. I am not dealing with a bald cap at this point.......I plan on just shaving and committing to the build <3:tkdance:

My only experience has been using Mehron paints, or Reel Creations ink. I've had good experience with both, but find the Reel Creations to be best when it comes to sweating. Our local Darth Maul uses Reel Creations and finds it to be excellent for allowing sweat through without running or smudging. However, no paint will be completely immune to high friction areas like around your collar or hands.

The key to an effective paint application is good prep and then light, even coats with an airbrush. Finish with a good sealer and your paint should last all day.

Another tip I would like to mention: be sure to accentuate the lowlight areas of your face and head (I use eyeshadows in various greys and black) to avoid looking flat and clown-ish ;)

Thank you so much for your help! I will do a 'trial' run on out Halloween Cruise and I guess use the paints I bought. I ended up ordering Kryolan Aquacolors and a fixative spray. I figure with this build I only need hands/wrists/head/some neck for painting. I will post some pics once I get the clothing more put together..LOL

Again I appreciate al your help 8)

Would you suggest ONLY Reel Creations airbrush paints?? When you mentioned that I should start with a good prep and then light even stokes...then a good sealer?? What kind of prep?? Is there anything special I should use?? Primer? And what is the best sealer if I go with air brushing???? For Ventress, would you recommend I just go with white?? I am not skilled by any means with an air brush (yet LOL) and don't feel confident with color mixing, other than the base color and accentuating with shadows. Again, thanks for all your advice :wink:

So many questions! LOL

I can only speak to products that I've used, and from my limited experience, so far Reel Creations is the best I've used. Your mileage may vary, as they say. However, in the very least I would guess that alcohol-based paints will hold up better than water-based ones when it comes to heat and sweating in general.

Prep - make sure the skin is clean and free of oil and dirt before you begin painting. Do not use moisturizer on your skin after you clean it. You may also wish to prime the skin with a light coat of sealer to help the paint stick.

Sealer - the sealer made by Reel Creations is good, but again, it's the only one I've used so I can't speak to other brands.

I strongly urge you to read through the various threads in the Makeup and Appliances section of this forum:

http://theflagshipeclipse.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=70

There is excellent information in there from those who have gone before on this subject ;)

For Ventress, I do not recommend using straight white. Her skin should look like she is very pale or is light grey in colour (think vampire). I know LadyB uses a very pale colour of foundation (Ben Nye's "Geisha"), while I have mixed a little bit of black into my white ink to achieve the light grey colour I needed.

As for the airbrush, practice practice practice ;)