• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Pam's Darth Talon Project

Twi'lek Pam

I put the Talon costume away for a while so I could focus on Scott's Shado Vao costume (that headpiece has taken many, many hours!), and so I could finish up the costumes I wore to WonderCon last weekend. Once we finish the Shado costume, and the weather's warmer, I'm planning to start working on the Talon outfit again. I'm still determined to get up the nerve to wear it at Celebration... there are going to be so many Talon costumes there, I figure I'll be able to blend into the crowd!

Pam :-)

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahhhh.... yes. Those who know me best probably saw this coming a long time ago.

Can I make any costume that I really set my mind to making?

Darn right I can!

TalonArmor.jpg

Do I have the self confidence and outgoing personality needed to actually WEAR any costume that I might set my mind to making?

Heh.... not so much.

The fact that I've been waffling on the Talon costume for a couple years now is a sign that the costume really has had me intimidated. I decided last weekend that it was time to make a decision, one way or the other. So, I put the costume on and looked in the mirror. I ended up thinking, "I look like a 39 year old woman who is trying to be 20 again, and I really don't feel comfortable with my thighs bare." I decided that I couldn't wear the outfit in public... and then to really drive home that point, my husband walked into the room just then and I went into shy mode so badly I nearly hid in the closet. If I can't feel comfortable wearing that costume at home, there's no way I'll be comfortable wearing it in public. So, I decided that my Talon costume is not going to make an appearance. My stress level has dropped dramatically since I made the decision, and I sold or gave away all of my Talon supplies that I couldn't repurpose for another project. Done is done! But, there were some great things that came out of this. I had a blast making the saber, I lost ten pounds on my Talon diet, and it was fun to work on the armor and tattoo patterns. I'm thinking that what I learned from those projects will have to come into play again someday.

So, that's that....

And I'm immensely relieved!

Pam sad as I am to read you have given up the project I do really understand and probably more than words can say :)

I am so glad you had the experience of making what you did, to me the wearing is far less important than the experience of making :) I am never going to wear my Slave Leia again but the real joy for me was the challenge of the making. I too feel relief in my decision and pride in what I did :)

So again congratulations for all the amazing pieces you made :)

Guest Daritha

I'm with mdb here. It's sad to hear that you drop Talon in the end but it's no use if you make a costume that you're uncomfortable with.

Hey, maybe Kerra Holt from the upcoming "Star Wars: Knight Errant" suits you more. Anyway, I myself am looking forward to this new series and, as well, your new costume projects. I mean, there's a reason you became Costumer of the Year for the Rebel Legion. ;)

But, there were some great things that came out of this. I had a blast making the saber, I lost ten pounds on my Talon diet, and it was fun to work on the armor and tattoo patterns.
The saber is a good invention for other One Sith costumers. The tattoos also. And ... can you tell me about the Talon diet? I think I need one. :oops:

Heh... Slave Leia... there's another costume I'd never have the nerve to wear! :-D

Darth Talon diet:

1. Eat less (much smaller portions)

2. Eat better (less sweets, fats, and processed food; more veggies)

3. Eat often (tiny meals every two or three hours)

4. Exercise longer (fat burning starts after 20 minutes, so exercise 40 to 60 minutes)

5. Alternate between cardio and weights (build muscle that will help burn fat)

My goal is to lose 14 pounds. I've lost 10 so far...

(Of course, the downside to living in a house with multiple generations is the fact that lots of people do the shopping and most of them are not on a diet. Try staying out of the freezer on a hot day when there are 5 different kinds of ice cream calling out to you.... errrrgggg!!!!)

(Of course, the downside to living in a house with multiple generations is the fact that lots of people do the shopping and most of them are not on a diet. Try staying out of the freezer on a hot day when there are 5 different kinds of ice cream calling out to you.... errrrgggg!!!!)

AKA, Scott's been doing the cooking, and he's not helping. :-D

Guest Daritha

Tell me about it. Three generations're living in my house. And two of those generations love traditional German food (aka Sauerkraut, Schweinebraten ... very heavy stuff). *blargh*

Guest Anonymous

OMG I am trying to get into shape for my Talon and my Tomb Raider costume... Pilates is amazing for it! Got these DVDs online and am trying to do them 3 times a week. I am missing the chocolate though!! My bf is having the opposite problem as he's trying to gain weight to do his Cade costume. Doesn't help that Christmas is coming and that involves a lot of fatty food and chocolate! :|

Low weight/High rep circuit drills will help tone & burn away quicker as well. I usually do circuits and we're DONE after 15mins. Usually can't move arms next day, but still. I kinna do (on free weights, on chest & arms for example):

Empty bar 45secs

+10lbs 30secs

+10lbs 15secs

move to next station/muscle group

It doesn't sound like alot...but i can assure you it is.

Guest Anonymous

Hey Twi'lek Pam (et al.)!

So I just joined this forum in thinking about getting into building an Exp. Uni character. I was sent here first to look at doing an Exar Kun build but Ive been doing some research and found Darth Ruyn. You dont see much in the way of male Twi'leks and I wanted to research and experiment. Looks like you would be the person to look toward for advice! Do yall know anyone else working on a similar build or another D Ruyn? I figured your D Talon thread would be the place to ask :)

Looking forward to working with you!

Hi,

It's cool to hear that there's interest for another male Twi'lek character. We just finished Scott's Shado Vao this year, and I can attest that while it's a lot of work, it's also a lot of fun! (And after all the years that he's helped me with my Aayla body paint, I finally got to paint him blue in return!)

The key challenge for a Darth Ruyn costume will be the lack of reference material. He wasn't alive for long in the Legacy storyline, so there really aren't many pictures to use. There is enough to get the general idea of his outfit and paint design, though... it could be an interesting costume to figure out!

What did you use to paint your armor with? I'm about to start painting all my pieces, and that paint looks awesome.

Guest Anonymous

This is an amazing build! Lots of great info. Jeepers Pam, I'm off to snag some cleaning supplies. I have to clean the gray matter from the walls......you blew my mind! Crazy Talent!!! You should change your screen name to Darth Talet.

The armor was first spray painted satin black, and then I dry-brushed an assortment of metallic enamel paints over that. Mostly gunmetal, with some hints of bronze and silver for highlights on the texture.