• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Lord Atrocitys Revan build WIP

Lord Atrocity

wassup all, so after snooping around and putting my two sense in to some posts. ive decided to contribute to the revan world and do my best to put together my own little tutorial on how i put things together also my own WIP . the idea is to break everything down piece by piece part by part. just bare with me, this would be my first go at this lol ....

annnnnd here we go.....

materials

from the start of this build ive tried everything under the sun. started out with fiberglass and bondo then foam and bondo then 3 other type of configurations. what it came down to was that i wanted to find some sort of moldable plastic. a friend of mine told me about these two amazing products, wonderflex and worbla. from the words of chris farley .............HOLY SHNIKIES ! this stuff is strait up amazing ! for all of my armor i used thin foam anyone can pick up at a local crafts store ( Michaels, pearl paint etc ) a layer of worbla and a layer of wonderflex. for those who never used it before i suggest messing with some of it first , just to see how you would work the product depending on the severity of the build. when it comes down to both worbla and wonderflex all you need is scissors ,exacto knife and a heat gun. just cut your pieces like a sheet of paper heat it up and away you are. i suggest to come up with some templates first so you dont waste any material. this stuff is so easy to work with it makes it scary lol

the only part of my armor that is not wonderflex /worbla is my mask. my mask is a pep file and i kept the fiberglass/bondo combo because of the sturdiness and i really dont feel like starting over again lol. if you ever decide to take up the glass/bondo combo i suggest youtubing some online tuts to see how this stuff works. frankly its a pain in the *** and its easier just to see how its done. all i have to to say when it comes to that combo is stay safe and have plenty of ventilation and fresh air cause that crap can give you a serious headache lol.

now for the cloth material, im picking up most of my stuff from dharma. they are fairly priced and have decent stuff. it looks like im getting some sort of black twill. well this is where i have to be honest. this is the part of the build where i have NOOOO idea what im doing lol... soo a friend of mine is helping me on this part. i can say ..im man enough to admit when im defeated. when it comes to sewing and all that good stuff.... i am severly defeated lol

i now its hard to find good sites for materials but these sites i use on a daily basis

Wonderflex / Worbla http://www.cosplaysupplies.com/store.ph ... btn=Search

bondo/ fiberglass you can pick up at your local autozone, lowes, home depot etc....

for ANY pep files you can find them on 4shared.com or hit up http://www.therpf.com/ there are plenty of guys willing to help out, but for some for a price.

for anything else plastic http://www.smooth-on.com/

and the cloth material http://www.dharmatrading.com/

i hope that can help with some questions anyone has.

unfortunately i do not have all my pix lined up and dled yet. lol i know bumber. Time to head to work. i hope this helps so far stay tuned. im going to try and continue this within the next 24 hrs..

sorry it took me a few days for the update but heeereee it is lol

anyway, the chest piece was an interesting test of materials. i changed this thing over and over and over again until i finally hit the right mix of materials that i thought were good enough. through out the pix you will notice how the foam base or template looks a little beat to crap. thats because i used it threw every change of material.

ok so the first thing i did was come up with different templates or patters that i thought would work. sorry for some crappy photos but i had to use my cell during some of the build.

7ckAg7Al.jpg

so after i cut my patterns out i just hot glued them together

bHBDuZzl.jpg

ms49wL7l.jpg

2yImEPNl.jpg

so now i threw a layer of worbla over it set it took the basic shape i was looking for

oXjHEEJl.jpg

SjOMlwll.jpg

BgKd1tzl.jpg

after the first layer i threw a second layer of worbla on to smooth things out and to strengthen the armor. after that was said and done with i took thin foam sheets that i spoke about before and glued them to the spots were i thought i need. the basic idea was to create some of the ridges and dips thats revan has on sertain parts of his armor. instead of carving into the plastic and making this harder i was basically building it out.

Tm5QN82l.jpg

so from the pic you noticed how i cut the foam to the pattern where i thought it would be as accurate as possible. then to fill those gaps i took a sharpie or pen whatever to make out the ridges that are in the center , top and sides of his armor. following those lines i took some worbla rounded them out make them all nice and strigy and glued them down in the gaps i drew out with the sharpie

C8EdAvwl.jpg

as you can see after i took care of that i just covered the rest of the armor with the thin foam. i took the template pieces i used for the foam and did the same thing for the wonderflex. each piece i heated up and just threw it on

u0idVo1l.jpg

caYQhvvl.jpg

i just drew on the foam with a sharpie the rest of the lines i needed. then took leather i picked up from micheals ( i really didnt feel like stretching out more worbla ) and just glued it on.

oeAo9Nhl.jpg

then i just took the rest of the pieces of wonderflex i cut up using the templates and threw those suckers on

noW6ZoTl.jpg

5k7INAjl.jpg

i painted it a base coat i picked up at autozone. its a combo of primer/filer/paint. it works great for wonderflex. cause it isnt to smooth the filer aspect helps out

wp1tjRDl.jpg

thats all i have done as of now. i still have to smooth some parts out with the wonderflex. but at least the paint shows it a little more..

hopefully ill have more posted soon ! :D

Looking SHARP! I need to not be a chicken and get my cuirass started...dat Worbla is expensive stuff and I'm so afraid of messing it up. XD However, I know it's forgiving enough that mistakes are pretty easily rectified. I really like how your mask is turning out! I've never had much luck with pep, but yours looks great. What kind of fiberglass did you use?

That bondo is awesome stuff! In the pictures it goes from looking really rough to being really smooth...lotsa sanding! Looks like you primed it, too...

Unfortunately I had to put some construction on hold until I can get in more Worbla... someone put my jumbo sheet of the stuff out in the garage and now it's all adhered to itself in a solid plastic tube... -_- At least I'll have plenty to use as detailing putty. *SIGH*

Any updates? I too am using Worbla; let me rephrase that, I've bought some Worbla and in the process of figuring out how to make it all work. I've started with the Vambraces. I figured they would be easier to start with. I'm curious to see what the inside of your Cuirass looks like; from the pics it looked really thick and a bit heavy.

As for the cloth parts, well after pouring over all of these forum posts, I'm some what conflicted. Some are going with a Silk, you mention a black twill, and there was some other fabric that escapes me at the moment that others liked. Any chance your friend that is helping you out with this part knows of a McCall or Simplicity Patter that works best?

This is the first outfit that I will have ever made so this is a huge learning curve for me. All of these posts and pics really help out a lot.

GL

Any updates? I too am using Worbla; let me rephrase that, I've bought some Worbla and in the process of figuring out how to make it all work. I've started with the Vambraces. I figured they would be easier to start with. I'm curious to see what the inside of your Cuirass looks like; from the pics it looked really thick and a bit heavy.

You would be surprised... My Shepard vembraces made me pound my head on a wall for days. I was, for the first time in my life, cursing my skinny wrists. XD That said, vembraces are definitely the part to mess up on and learn from, since you'll waste less material with them versus something bigger, like the cuirass.

If you want to see the Queen of Worbla, google Kamui Cosplay. She's got some great tutorials on working with the stuff, and I'm using her method. I'm just terrible about posting progress pics. LOL.

Actually, I think Atrocity's approach is probably even lighter than mine because mine requires a double layer of Worbla. That EVA foam is more bulk, but it's so light!

You would be surprised... My Shepard vembraces made me pound my head on a wall for days. I was, for the first time in my life, cursing my skinny wrists. XD That said, vembraces are definitely the part to mess up on and learn from, since you'll waste less material with them versus something bigger, like the cuirass.

If you want to see the Queen of Worbla, google Kamui Cosplay. She's got some great tutorials on working with the stuff, and I'm using her method. I'm just terrible about posting progress pics. LOL.

Thanks to all sorts of excuses that end up actually being just my lack of attention to detail I messed up one of my Vambraces lastnight. (I made two right hand Vambraces). I hope that the majority of my learning curve will be done before I get to the big chest peices. If I were rich I would be more tempted to just buy one of Rob's premade outfits.

I did not realize she was Kamui "the queen of worbla", but it is her tutorial that got me started on worbla although my wife would argue that I just wanted to see her slap her breasts and speak with the accent :)

I would still love to see an update on Atrocity's progress.

sorry for the stop in progress. i was trying to get this project done before nyc comic con but i couldnt finish 2 projects at once so i decided to continue with my arkham asyylum scarecrow build and put revan on hold. i do have more pics to update with the paintjob and certain parts. as soon as this weekend is over i will update as soon as i can. like i said im sorry for the hold up but im sure you all can understand. also if any of you guys have any questions regarding worbla and all that good stuff just hit me up with a pm and ill be glad to help out

sorry for the stop in progress. i was trying to get this project done before nyc comic con but i couldnt finish 2 projects at once so i decided to continue with my arkham asyylum scarecrow build and put revan on hold. i do have more pics to update with the paintjob and certain parts. as soon as this weekend is over i will update as soon as i can. like i said im sorry for the hold up but im sure you all can understand. also if any of you guys have any questions regarding worbla and all that good stuff just hit me up with a pm and ill be glad to help out

I wish I could go to NYC Comic Con if for no other reason to see Nicole Marie Jean (https://www.facebook.com/NicoleMarieJea ... ion=stream) She's kinda awesome. I look forward to seeing your progress once you can get back to it.

hey all !! Atrocity here... on the update NYCC was a blast ! i do have pics that i will post soon. unfortunately revan has been put on complete hold due to my little brother being diagnosed with cancer. He is almost done with his treatments and all is well. sorry for being a debbie downer.lol i did not forget about this build and it will be done. i hope everyone is enjoying the holidays. ill be posting soon

HELLO ALL!! good news to be told baby bro pulled threw, he is cancer free and cured :chewdance::shred::tkdance: . it was a rough go for the family but we stuck together. i want to thank you guys for your thoughts..

which means

The dark lord of the the sith is back on ! starting up this weekend to finish the good ole revan

thanks again for the support

That's AMAZING! This is joyous news. Vode An! :boss:

I just got back on the wagon, too! My mask ships this week, so that has done a lot to bolster my motivation for this project.

Look forward to everything!

on the update, all is going well working hard on the build. it will be completed by next weekend for nycc. pics will be up in a week. i currently working on a new mask and hakama, everything else is in the finale stages. only question i have is .. has anyone figured out how to do an accurate ring ?