• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Guri- Background and Costume Versions

Twi'lek Pam

The character Guri is a human replica droid who belonged to Prince Xizor, leader of the Black Sun criminal organization. Programmed by Imperial scientists to be an assassin, she killed on command and also served as Xizor's personal bodyguard and assistant. She was introduced in the Shadows of the Empire novel and comics, which are set between The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi. Guri is a central figure in the Shadows of the Empire: Evolution novel and comic series, which take place after the death of Prince Xizor.

This is the most common costume for Guri, and it is one which has already been accepted for 501st membership. These paintings were created by the Hildebrandt brothers after they were commissioned by the Topps company to create a series of 100 card illustrations. Most of the paintings are scenes from the Shadows novel.

GuriBlueFront2.jpg

GuriBlueFront.jpg

This is the comic book version of Guri from the Shadows of the Empire series. Unfortunately I only have Issue 1, so I do not know if her wardrobe remained consistent throughout the series. The first image is also used for Guri's entry in the Star Wars Encyclopedia.

GuriRedFront.jpg

GuriRedBack.jpg

The comic images were obviously the source of insipration for Gui's costume when she was added to Decipher's Star Wars card game. These images were also used for Guri's entry in the Star Wars Database. (Sorry for the low resolution on the second image... I couldn't get the higher resolution picture to load for some reason!)

GuriCard.jpg

GuriCard2.jpg

This is the outfit worn by Guri in the Evolution comic book series. I do not know if this costume will qualify for 501st membership, as she is attempting to recreate herself at this point. After Xizor's death, Guri decides that she no longer wants to be an assassin, so she seeks out the scientist who created her. She gets him to wipe her memory, allowing her a fresh start without any of her previous programming.

GuriPurpleFront.jpg

GuriPurpleBack.jpg

This is the comic book version of Guri from the Shadows of the Empire series. Unfortunately I only have Issue 1, so I do not know if her wardrobe remained consistent throughout the series.

My garrison trooped at a comic shop this weekend, so I looked for the rest of the Shadows of the Empire comics while we were there. They had the whole set, but they were priced at $10 per issue, so I didn't buy them. I did flip through the comics, though, and I found that Guri's red costume IS consistent throughout the rest of the series. I had been wondering if the shoes being the same color as the tights was just a coloring error in that one image... but that detail remains consistant through the rest of the images. The shoes are always the same olive color.

Pam :-)

Guest Cleverlilminx

GuriPurpleFront.jpg

GuriPurpleBack.jpg

I made that costume as a commission for someone who attended CIV and all I can say is that it was a major PITA to make. Not a project for a novice costumer/seamstress!! :lol:

I do not see this costume being accepted into the 501st either, but I think the costume I made might have been accepted for Rebel Legion membership.

I discussed this issue with Thomas, and have some answers concerning Guri.

First, Guri is already an accepted 501st character. No worries there.

As for her costumes....

Blue/Yellow dress: Already accepted for 501st membership.

Red/Olive dress: Not yet accepted. There are sufficient front and back refrences, however, so if someone makes a quality version of this costume, it should be accepted.

Purple/Yellow jumpsuit: This costume will NOT be accepted for 501st membership. By that point in her life Guri no longer wants to be an assassin. She escaped from the Empire (blowing up a Star Destroyer bridge in the process) and is trying to plot a new path for her "life."

i must say i prefer the red/olive version of her costume, its less marvel superhero and more fitting into the SW universe i think.

be good for someone to do this version if they want to do Guri.

Guest Anonymous

Hi my name is Dany i?m from Mexico and I?m interested in creating a Guri?s outfit for me to entering the 501st . I was wondering if someone here can help me find more images of Guri?s shoes ?cause it?s the most elaborated part of the outfit so if anyone nkows here I can find more images please tell me ;)

thanks

Hi my name is Dany i?m from Mexico and I?m interested in creating a Guri?s outfit for me to entering the 501st . I was wondering if someone here can help me find more images of Guri?s shoes ?cause it?s the most elaborated part of the outfit so if anyone nkows here I can find more images please tell me ;)

thanks

I've posted the pictures that I have in the gallery, and some of them show her shoes. (You're right, they're elaborate!) You can find the pictures here:

http://www.theflagshipeclipse.com/galle ... p?album=12

If I find any more pictures, I'll post those as well.

Guest Anonymous

So I accidentally bought 2 meters of the wrong color blue fabric for a different project and I started thinking of what I could use it for instead. Guri came to mind and so began the reference photo hunt. I found this pic, but cannot for the life of me figure out where it came from. It's so well done, I kept thinking it had to have been official. Anybody recognize it?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/ ... ri_TSS.jpg

So I accidentally bought 2 meters of the wrong color blue fabric for a different project and I started thinking of what I could use it for instead. Guri came to mind and so began the reference photo hunt. I found this pic, but cannot for the life of me figure out where it came from. It's so well done, I kept thinking it had to have been official. Anybody recognize it?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/ ... ri_TSS.jpg

You're right... that's a really good picture! Unfortunately, I have no idea where it came from. I've never seen it before. It might be a piece from one of the artists on a sharing site such as DeviantART, but there's always a chance that it might have been commissioned by LFL for the books or games. Either way, it's a beautiful find!

Guest Daritha

It's a bit late but I can clear the mist:

This particular picture of Guri is taken from a Trading card of the series "The Shadow Syndicate" which is part of the Star Wars Galaxies Trading Card Game. :)

Guest Anonymous

If I could work up the nerve to do a blonde character, I'd love to take a crack at the red guri outfit. However, I think I'd look horrible as a blonde.

Guest Anonymous

My wife has decided that she is going to make Guri's costume from Shadows of the Empire Evolution. This is currently an RL approved costume, but as mentioned before it is not 501st acceptable, due to her no longer wanting to be "evil". In doing my research for this costume I have discovered that Guri wears the Purple and Yellow Jumpsuit while still working for Xizor and the Black Sun (image below):

Xizor_and_Guri.jpg

This image if from the Shadows of the Empire Graphic Novel

It appears that this may have just been another uniform that Guri wore through out her time with the Black Sun. Much like Mara Jades several uniforms worn during her time as the Emperor's Hand or working for Talon Karde.

I feel that this shows that Guri wore this uniform both before and after leaving the Black Sun. Thoughts?

FYI: My wife is making this costume regardless, so I am not trying to pick a fight....

Guest Aysel

I'm inclined to want to include characters if they swing both ways, so to speak. Since you've found supporting evidence of Guri wearing that costume while still with Black Sun, I'm further inclined to want to include her. However it's not my call, all I can do is cheer-lead for her. And regardless whether or not she's 501st acceptable, have your wife post her progress here as we have lots of people that can help out with the details (and more eyes on can pick up the things that sometimes are missed by the one making the costume)

^_^ Katie