• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Dawn's Starkiller: Dark Apprentice: !!!!CLEARED!!!

Kylo

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh my gosh I am so sorry for pretty much abandoning this board.

I have had a LOT going on.

I bought a home. It closed Escrow and I had to move all my stuff from one of my houses and into the new house.

Out of 500 people I was chosen as on of the 40 to participate in the first ever Disney D23 Costume contest.

My buddy Owen Lord and I took home Best in Show!!

20130809_121417_zps489e7fb6.jpg

1119848_4592090138703_1106241687_o_zpsbf47ad35.jpg

https://d23.com/a-la-mode-costume-conte ... announced/

Heres some shots Mary Franklin took of us when we were hanging out @ the Evolution of Vader Booth! She invited us to come up and hang out in the booth and pose for awhile!

IMG958260_zpsaf67b2fe.jpg~original

No one can ever say that Cosplayimg cant get you a Job.....I was offered my DREAM Job @ D23... I am still in shock. *sooo happy*

Enough about me Heres the picture you guys were asking for!!

20130814_115726_zps3628c282.jpg

Just saw that your GML posted it on the submission forum, best of luck!

Thank you so much!!!! I assume this is a LONG process? Even IF that costume has no changes I assume its still weeks before a CRL is added?

Pretty much, yeah lol

As far as I know, once there's an approved costume, CRL standards come back to us at FE. For instance I helped write the ones for the starkiller promo costume, so I would assume you and others (maybe me, likely Thomas, we'll see) will establish the CRL for it.

Woah woah. You just said Thomas. That must be the man I am looking for! I NEED to get a hold of a man named Thomas! Ill explain later though itll become BLATANTLY obvious soon considering your position. Whats his username?? Its possibly easier just to go through looking at the highups I am sure!

*excited*

=D

and....Oh my gosh thats right sir you wanted a straight on shot of the belt. sorry Ill get that ASAP

Pretty much,yeah lol

100% assumed this! haha thanks :) Gimmie a Heads up for anything wrong with the costume!! hehe Ill change whatever you guys need ASAP!

Kk, The LMO just posted a list of changes to make. There are a few I'm arguing or asking for details on, but I can give you the ones we agree on -

1. the rivets on the gauntlets were supposed to be round from your own writeup and pictures, but they turned out a bit hexagonal, so that has to be fixed.

2. The cutouts on the buckle still need to be longer. I would say the longest one comes to about 1/4" from either edge

Beyond that I'm questioning a few others (ones I'm arguing are marked with an *)-

Rough armor - not sure what he means by rough, he brought up that it looked like a prototype

*Shiny armor - argued that it's supposed to be glossy

Low hanging chest box - simple fix in pictures

Lacking detail on chest box - asking what details he thinks are missing

Forearm armor should close - asking if he's looking for a smooth closure or if an overlap is acceptable (ala TK armor)

*Thickness of belt buckle - argued that your latest pics show it being thin enough.

Kk, The LMO just posted a list of changes to make. There are a few I'm arguing or asking for details on, but I can give you the ones we agree on -

1. the rivets on the gauntlets were supposed to be round from your own writeup and pictures, but they turned out a bit hexagonal, so that has to be fixed.

2. The cutouts on the buckle still need to be longer. I would say the longest one comes to about 1/4" from either edge

Beyond that I'm questioning a few others (ones I'm arguing are marked with an *)-

Rough armor - not sure what he means by rough, he brought up that it looked like a prototype

*Shiny armor - argued that it's supposed to be glossy

Low hanging chest box - simple fix in pictures

Lacking detail on chest box - asking what details he thinks are missing

Forearm armor should close - asking if he's looking for a smooth closure or if an overlap is acceptable (ala TK armor)

*Thickness of belt buckle - argued that your latest pics show it being thin enough.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! Addressing stuff in next post. But I really appreciate this!

Yes please please clarification! Cant change it if I don't know what exactly it is.

I think for the closure. I dunno. Maybe just affix something over the band to make it look smoother. Like Velcro a silver black strip over it?

Thank you so much!! :D Yes thank you for trying to get the clarifications as well!

Changes are to be expected =)

I am on vacation til the 31st (I am 90 miles from the costume haha) so I cant make any changes til I get home unfortunately. But I hope we can get the clarifications (or some of the issues handled) by then! =)

BELT

This is one I may need some help from you guys on,

Maybe I should have explained how I did the new belt.

I scales it up to my body size proportions and printed out a copy of the Original ref.

Then I overlaid that and cut it out to make the new belt.

Here is my current belt beside my Ref

overlaporiginal_zpsb9f6d84a.jpg

Please let me know what you guys think is wrong! I always miss things so its really nice to see the crits!

:)

It seems to line up though? But I dunno. Just tell me what to do and ill glady do it! :D

Ok the chest box. I do plan on redoing it anyways. I was thinking sintra. I waned to do it with a light as well.

Question: does anyone have any ideas of where I could get a perfect image of what is written on the box?

Also if clarification comes back on the armor and its not going to work, the husband says he will redo that as well in sintra if need be

Well he apologizes and says he's out of town right now which is why he didn't give too much detail, but he'll do so when he gets back.

So, hopefully that will be before you get back as well lol

I think he and I are both staring at the Vader one and expecting it to be identical, from this picture the longest one should reach a lot closer to those edges:

SL_vader_rotj_belt.jpg

Short of looking at the game model itself in an independent form, There's not much better of a way to look at the chest box. But, honestly, I have no idea how people do that.

overlaporiginal_zpsb9f6d84a.jpg

This belt buckle when I did it originally. if you go back in photos and look. its the wrong color as well. I feel like the color should be the color I have it? The Vader buckle is WAY to Shiny isn't it?

Yep I see what you mean about the edges Mine might be 1/8 of an inch or a lil more off huh?

Color though you guys don't think I should make it THAT metallic silver shiny right?

No worries at all!!

I understand his vacation issues.

Yeah I cant even make ANY Changes until the 1st of Sept XD

Yep! Will do on the size of the buckle edging! 1/4 inch looks about right sir

Lemmie know if you hear anything else! ;)

Thanks so much!

Short of looking at the game model itself in an independent form

I wonder if this is something I should ask my hubby about. Would be nice to get it larger. I have the game after all! :D It would be nice to know EXACTLY what is written on it. I cant get anything but gobbly goop when I look! :) I *thought* I had all the cut outs correct in shape/size though! :D On the side by side like I did below I think I might have added a few to many letters?

Hey there! I couldn't remember why I did those in Hexa. Then I remembered! The original photo ref to the following images are on the first page btw if you want to see the entirety.

Anyways here is something I did up! (Basically To show why I did what I did)

I am of course happy to change anything!! I just want to make sure this is done Correctly! (as we all do)

Maybe this will aid in some of the confusion.

darkapprenticechanges_zpsb8cc3760.jpg

Good research, and I personally see your points on the gauntlets. (I think it was a matter of a different model used for the cutscene than gameplay, so precedent would say both ways will be acceptable) Even so, I hate to point it out, but aren't those Octagons?

The LMO is still busy with out of town work, but he didn't want to leave us hanging so he sent me some new comments - I don't know if it was supposed to be a comprehensive list, but it might give you more of a look into what he's asking for:

1. Chest armour- it looks rough as in, the material appears wavy, not smooth like, has holes/pits in it. Some of the images the lower sections are darker, opposite to how she currently has it, but other images show the way she has it

Im still going with the too glossy comments. It appears to be more shadow then reflection.

Now looking back at it, if there was less gloss, then I think that will then not highlight the imperfections in the armour, if you get what im saying.

2. Chest box- ridge running around the border,and appears to be rough in finish like the chest armour, might even be a couple of red lights to the top right, very difficult to confirm.

3. Forearms, I cant find the image, but im sure I saw it, where they at least meet.

4. belt buckle, just make the slots longer.

With that said, I think your todo list becomes:

Gauntlets - Octagonal Rivets?

Rough/shiny armor - you can give repainting it a shot, but you may have to redo it still

Lacking detail on chest box - ???

Forearm armor should close - meet with velcro closure

Belt Buckle - Longer slots

(Sorry, I know it helps me a lot to have a clear and concise list of things to do)

Got it! Totally see what he/they mean.

Also Here is a closeup of the armor. I know a lot of the shine is giving it that look like its got some bumps. But its smoothcast resin. its super smooth. But still with that said I will repaint it. As I agree :D

Thank you so much for trying to clear up anything before I get home and change it as its nice to have it figured it out haha

armorsmooth_zpsc811389e.jpg

Now that I look at it... you know Maybe I should do it in a DARK Charcoal Grey and black paint?? Matte or very light Satin finish. Wonder how that will look :D

I like lists. I am a chick that digs on lists XD I need em!! haha Thank you so much.

Rivits: Drat. your night. I did 6 on the rivits. its supposed to be 8. Oh my goodness. *is dumb* yep... yes I am..... Thank gosh there is only 10 of them on both gaunts. -.-

Box: Yep I see the 2 red lights!