• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Dawn's Starkiller: Dark Apprentice: !!!!CLEARED!!!

Kylo

Thank you so much!! haha yeah I did that last night!

I LOVE to just put em side by side for comparison.

It sets in EXACTLY whats "wrong" and "right" about the costume

Ill post the photos of the belt soon!

*its drying*

hehe

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep its flopping down ! Ill put a piece of foam up behind it. Lets see what that does =)

I am going to do some quick shots and see how much better it looks with it stiffer!

Thank you!

Jeff and Blitz

Heres an updated photo.

I hate to say this about my hubby. But he doesn't really pay perfect attention to the way the things lay on my body.

this I FEEL is A LOT closer than what I had before. What do you guys think?

UPDATED NEW PHOTOS IN MY PHOTOSTREAM

9419070294_ca26929a7e_h.jpg

20130801_145105_zpsf01a4189.jpg

20130801_145034_zpsc78542c0.jpg

20130801_144946_zpsbfa82b19.jpg

Hi Dawn. The buckle looks better, but I'm still not entirely happy with the look. It just doesn't have the look of metal that it should. With the right paint job, I think plastic can be made to look like metal, but sometimes it's just easier to make it out of metal! Just my opinion of course, but that's my 2 cents on that! :wink: You might want to order one of the Vader buckles. Like you said, they're not all that expensive, & they look really nice! I'm sure you'll figure out a good solution, as YOU ALWAYS DO! GOOD LUCK, & KEEP THE UPDATES COMING! 8)

I absolutely agree. The look and feel of REAL metal is 100X better!

Here is the issue. Its something thats been done. I shouldnt waste my time making it out of aluminum, it will not look as good and I am just going to spend HOURS doing it

Time is money. I feel like with something SIMPLE like this I should just spend the $$$ and get it done right.

*orders*

Thank you so much!

EDIT 1: Btw... I wanted to say something... Is it just me or should I paint this ENTIRE thing a shiny Dark Aluminum?? You know what.. I am going to go repaint it. See what happens. I am not happy with it as well. Like i stated about just ordering one.

EDIT 2: I am sitting here thinking....you know...I have a RUBIES Vader BELT (came with the costume I just bought for the Battle Damage Vader) in my garage... I think ill go get it and spray it. I can just get a second one (in metal) for my hubbys costume if this looks good!

It doesnt hurt to try?!

Heres the Original and mine to show you what I mean about color.

While its not as Dark as the Gauntlets Its PRETTY close

chestareacolor_zps7128094d.jpg

NOOOO@@@@@@

Most of the Vader belt buckles have 4 openings!!! =[

Starkillers has 5.

I have now covered the belt buckle in the first coat of glue. Lets see what happens when it dries and ill cast a bit more resin on the belt and sand.

Hey Alan! I used a Linen blend. I know your not in the states but I buy ALL my Starwars costuming materials @ Joannes. I know they are a touch higher priced that other stores, but they always have what I need in stock. Also when you get em on sale they are a steal! I am possibly ridiculous (Because I live in Sunny California where its 100+ degrees 8 mo out of the year). I go for a nice thick natural material. This particular one (to me) feels so soft and natural and nice tight weave while still being thick!

Its a Sew Classics I THINK (not 100% sure) its this one

http://www.joann.com/sew-classics-linen ... 0496123a/#

I LOVE Linen but Joannes does not carry 100% BLACK Linen. Just White and off white :/ Or this costume would be 100% linen insted of 55% linen blend

I really really like this material. It flows nicely (i think) id make full Jedi robes out of it and feel like I got something quality.

I am REALLY sorry that this build thread has been up for over a month and I haven't chimed in once. Letting my own projects get in the way too much I guess :(

Don't forget that as the first one in the legion (that I know of) you're going to get the harshest criticism from the board of GML's and LMO(s). Don't get discouraged, as you've certainly got the skills to see this through to the end :D

From what I understand, the official ruling now is that Vader buckles have to have the 5 cutouts in the arrow pattern that you're seeing here, so if you were hesitant to cut it up because of keeping it pristine for the Vader costume, feel free to go at it with a dremel.

As for the paint job on the armor, it couldn't hurt to try a deep grey on the raised areas - it looks like 2-toned forced shading, much like Vader is.

The one single nitpick I have myself is the shoulder shawl under the shoulder armor. In comparison to where the rest of the costume sits on you, I think it needs to be raised between 1"-2". Since you have detailing so close to the edge, you might want to try bringing it up from the top.

From what I understand, the official ruling now is that Vader buckles have to have the 5 cutouts in the arrow pattern that you're seeing here, so if you were hesitant to cut it up because of keeping it pristine for the Vader costume, feel free to go at it with a dremel.

As for the paint job on the armor, it couldn't hurt to try a deep grey on the raised areas - it looks like 2-toned forced shading, much like Vader is.

The one single nitpick I have myself is the shoulder shawl under the shoulder armor. In comparison to where the rest of the costume sits on you, I think it needs to be raised between 1"-2". Since you have detailing so close to the edge, you might want to try bringing it up from the top.

I'd have to agree with you on these points! Good eye on the shoulder shawl! I hadn't noticed it before, but I'd agree that it should probably be raised between 1"-2". Hope this helps Dawn! GOOD LUCK TO YOU! 8)

P.S.- Did you receive my last PM? I'm sending you a new one, just in case you missed it! 8)

Its so funny I was just thinking about you the other day and couldnt believe you hadent commented! :D

"The one single nitpick I have myself is the shoulder shawl under the shoulder armor. In comparison to where the rest of the costume sits on you, I think it needs to be raised between 1"-2". Since you have detailing so close to the edge, you might want to try bringing it up from the top."

Did you see the new images I took on page 4? (the one below for example is from yesterday) I was complaining because my husband is NOTORIOUS for not putting costumes on me correctly! Here are the updated images I took yesterday

2double_zps78823a10.jpg

I put a line across to show where my armor ends where starkillers ends. Aside from my shoulder flopping on the side, which can just be pushed into position. It looks like its lining up to me? The original image of this is on the 1st page.

I dont know why in this particular image his shoulder armor/bells are not extending?? Anyone know why that is?

Do you think this is still to low? It can go up higher

Lemmie know what you guys think! (or if this even was the area you are in fact addressing) I hate this that my husband just doesn't care how the costume sits on me. its a pain in the rear end to have to put this thing on because he could care less about how it looks! =)

I will take ANY kind of crits! I ant it to be right! Dont worry I didnt go into this thinking it was going to be easy. =)

Its so funny I was just thinking about you the other day and couldnt believe you hadent commented! :D

"The one single nitpick I have myself is the shoulder shawl under the shoulder armor. In comparison to where the rest of the costume sits on you, I think it needs to be raised between 1"-2". Since you have detailing so close to the edge, you might want to try bringing it up from the top."

Did you see the new images I took on page 4? I was complaining because my husband is NOTORIOUS for not putting costumes on me correctly! Here are the updated images I took yesterday

doublechecking_zps74430494.jpg

Do you think this is still to low? It can go up higher

Lemmie know what you guys think! (or if this even was the area you are in fact addressing) I hate this that my husband just doesnt care how the costume sits on me. its a pain in the rear end to have to put this thing on because he could care less about how it looks! =)

I will take ANY kind of crits! I ant it to be right! Dont worry I didnt go into this thinking it was going to be easy. =)

Sorry, I hadn't noticed the updated pics! That actually looks pretty good to me! If it needs to go up at all, it's not much! LOOKING GOOD! KEEP IT UP! 8)

P.S.-Did you get my PM?

Yes sir just replied!

:D

So sorry I swear that "New PM" thing just.. I don't see it! I fail at responding! Yes yell at me on my boards to respond hehe. Tis the BEST idea :) Best way to get my attention! ^.^

...and that brings me to a question.

Costume judges DO read these boards right???

I sent my GML a link to this board,

When they approved my Sith Robes it was not stated but I was lead to believe they read this board and had noticed my updates...

But I just want to make sure. I can send in updated photos. But I do not want to if I do not need to bother them with that. It will undoubtedly be kicked back if these details are not dealt with and they do not see this board.

You guys and your crits are the reason this costume will not fail. We all see something different. the collective of this board is amazing and without all of your help, I would not be able to succeed with any kind of efficiency

BELT BUCKLE: I have primed and added a single coat of black/grey/flat paint to the belt buckle. Will detail it after 100% dry.

Does this look enough like metal??

=D

9428948701_c955334070_b.jpg

and a side by side

9432143330_a5924df388_b.jpg

To be honest, the color doesn't look too bad right now. However, I'm still having problems with this! Several things stand out to me. First, the buckle seems TOO THICK! What did you use to make it, if you don't mind my asking? You might want to look at using 1/8" Sintra. It's pretty easy to work with. With a little bit of effort, I think you could make a buckle that looks spot on to the one in the reference pics. The second problem I have is with your cut lines in the arrow pattern. If you look at the reference pics, the longest line is pretty close to the edge of the buckle. Look how far in your's is. Also, I'm not sure if your lines are actually long enough. To me, they don't seem like they're quite as long as in the reference pics. I think another thing that's been bothering me with your arrowhead lines is that they look like they're not crisp & perfectly straight. In my humble opinion, you should probably start from scratch, & remake the buckle, PAYING CLOSE ATTENTION TO ALL THE LITTLE DETAILS! :wink: PLEASE DON'T TAKE MY CRITICISM PERSONALLY! I'm just trying to help you make your costume BETTER! I know some of these details may seem trivial, but to me, THEY'RE IMPORTANT! HOPE THIS HELPS! GOOD LUCK! I LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING WHAT YOU COME UP WITH! 8)

P.S.-Just sent you another PM! 8)

100% agree 100% agree 100% agree.

No I see exactly what you mean.

Ill be driving the next city over to buy sintra tomorrow :)!

Can we discuss the center circle i feel like the entire center is not raised just the edges of it. Am i crazy? I dont know why but in all the ref i feel like i only see the outter edge beveled then the center appears to sink back down.

Ps: i.will be printing out a copy of the belt. Layering it over the new version and comparing them side by side. Then we can ensure there are not issues.

Thank you so much Jeff!!!

I like the new coloring - very nice change.

I think the circle on the buckle looks fine and the whole thing should be raised, but I think the lines need to be longer to match better.

I did see the picture, and it does look correct on the mannequin. I think if I saw the shawl looking correct on you instead of looking right on the mannequin, I would feel better about it. I appreciate the problem with your 'photographer' - my father takes my pics and has the same issue :P

Yes, as long as your GML knows about the build thread, usually they'll post it with the submission. When you do submit though, just to be sure, drop me a PM and I'll make sure he/she attaches the link.

@Jeff, yeah, I know, I've really been slipping in my Mentor-ship duties. But hopefully having subscribed to the Starkiller forum via emails I can stop making that mistake :D

Drago, this is a volunteer organization and we all have lives! This is the best part. We aren't getting paid for this, this stuff is out of the kindness of our hearts! I understand some of you take on more than others. But frankly. LIFE HAPPENS =)

haha yes! What is it about these folks and not caring what we look like?! I was talking to another member in my garrison and she says her husband just takes photos with parts literally falling off of her! Oi do they not know we will then have to RETAKE all of the photos and spend even MORE time doing it, than to have just DONE IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!!!! *pulls out hair * *rant over*

I try and tell my hubby. But there is like 10 things to look for in every costume I do, he HATES taking photos of me! He gets all huffy puffy XD! Ill put on the costume when he gets home and get that photo for you! :)

My hubby has dealt with this through 4 costumes now. He has been instructed how much it matters to the 501st that this costume looks PERFECT! He LOVES the 501st. But its like it flies over his head when it comes to taking the photos. I understand I have been looking at this costume for weeks now. But if he would just study the ref for 5 minutes i could easily avoid all of this!

Can we discuss the center circle i feel like the entire center is not raised just the edges of it. Am i crazy? I dont know why but in all the ref i feel like i only see the outter edge beveled then the center appears to sink back down.

Nope! the whole circle is one solid piece! Being a Vader, you can take my word on that! :wink: Glad to hear you're going to be getting some Sintra to try a redo on the buckle! I think you'll be MUCH HAPPIER with the results! LOOKING FORWARD TO SEEING PICS! 8)

Ok so here is what I did.

I printed out a copy of the original belt the exact size it should be on a real life human.

I inlayed the exact shapes into foam

I covered the foam

I hand painted the piece to look as much like the original as I could

I then lacquered it to have a shiny appearance.

I affixed the buckle to the belt

=D

Look a touch better?

9456097512_b6aee0f46d_b.jpg

swtfu22011-01-3118-01-59-88-2.png