• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Question - Dark Force Witch CRL

Guest Kat Stribog

Guest Kat Stribog

Hello :mrgreen:

I'm currently working on my Dark Force Witch costume, and I have a question regarding the gown. It is indicated that :

The gown is dark magenta at the collar, graduating slowly to a very dark magenta. At the bottom, the darkened magenta changes abruptly to a triangular area of deep red fabric.

But I have doubts that the red part at the bottom is actually the same dress. It have two distinct triangles that join in the middle (instead of one), the color changes too abruptly, and the purple gown doesn't have a seam in the middle. So wouldn't it rather be an under-tunic that shows under the gown ?

Would it be acceptable, if I make false uder-tunic ends and sew them uder the bottom line of the gown to simulate the overlap of two dresses ?

DFWGown.jpg

Your points seem to be correct, I would suggest getting a couple more people to weigh in before you proceed, if you want an official response.

The lines created there do make it appear to be an overlapped fabric as opposed to simply a different paint color.

Good eyes. 8)

I started making this costume a while ago (over a year now) and it is sitting unfinished in a box. When I was working on the under tunic I did it as two square pieces of fabric overlapping and sewn under the purple dress, just as you have described. I also see it as a second piece of fabric under the top dress in the picture, so that is how I was making it. I think it is actually more of a stole, similar to what priests wear over their robes, but again that is just my personal interpretation.

Like this, but it is under the purple dress:

http://www.stjames-hamptonhill.org.uk/i ... /Stole.jpg

Again, this was just how I saw it. More reference images for this costume would certainly be handy for deciding on if it is part of the top dress or is a second garment under it.

Cheers,

Nef

Guest Kat Stribog

Thank you people :wink:

What do you think should I do now ?

Ask somewhere for an official change of the CRL ?

Continue my costume as in the picture and hope it will pass the validation ?

Stick with the standards even if I think they made a mistake ?

:?

I didn't want to post for a while so I could focus on getting better, but this needs a reply.

The intention of the CRL is to GUIDE people, showing them what details to include in their costumes. There is no rule that says a costume must be identical to every word in the standards in order for it to be approved. As we've said many, many times on the forum, it doesn't matter what method or material you use to make a certain look, as long as you get that look in the end. The intention behind putting that section of the outfit together was to reduce the number of layers worn about the body. Dresses have additional layers sewn to them all the time, ruffles and insets and such... and we still call it one dress. As always, interpretation is fine, so long as you get the correct final look. I would personally sew an inset behind the main dress, a false inner layer sewn just in that one spot.

If you don't like the wording, ask someone with the power to change it to do so. I did the best I could, and I made multiple revisions while we were working on those standards as folks pointed out details to improve, but I never know which word or phrase somebody will decide is wrong years and years after the thing was written. Please, everyone be patient and kind to the folks who work on the CRL all throughout the legion. It's frustrating to spend so many countless hours of your free time writing and revising all this stuff and working on the pictures, trying to help other people out, only to be told over and over again that you messed up, or that you didn't do enough. This thread has been calm and not at all demeaning, but that is not always the case. We as a group have been belittled for not doing enough or for being wrong FAR more often than we have been told thank you for trying. The CRL is a spirit sucker, I tell you.

Pam :-)

Guest Kat Stribog

Keep calm, I'm not complaining about the standards.

I was simply asking what would be the best to do, so that my costume gets approved. I often heard that people got rejected because of a small detail that doesn't match the CRL, and it is frustrating and expensive to make the costume all over again.

As for the CRL, we all do the hard jobs, and we all like to hear thank you for that. When someone comes with an idea to improve our job, it's better to say thank you for your help on this hard work, instead of saying that people should be greateful for what they got in the first place.