• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Costume for 501st French Garrison

Guest Kat Stribog

Guest Kat Stribog

Hello,

I'm a Rebel Legion French Base member, and I'm currently making my first "Dark side" costume to join the 501st French Garrison. I chose the Dark Force Witch because there are too many reasons why I love this costume and why I want to take the challenge :mrgreen:

So here's my first test for the make-up :

20130603222716.jpg

Any comments and help are welcome :wink:

While the pattern looks good, it's hard to tell all the details from the angle. It may also be the photo, but the markings looks dark blue. They should be more of a dark purple colour. But again, that may just be the photo.

An excellent start! I look forward to seeing the rest of your costume as you progress.

Cheers,

Nef

Guest Kat Stribog

The photo is a little bit more blue than the real life, but I think you're right, this make-up is still too blue for this costume.

I need to continue my search for the perfect violet :wink:

Guest Kat Stribog

Thank you everyone, I'll be working on the costume as soon as my work will let me go to the fabric market, probably the next week :wink:

I see that the former Jedi is falling to the dark side :)

Never, I'm not leaving the Rebel Legion, but I'll always serve the Light. That's why I'm also joining the 501st French, because they get the job more often, so more opportunity to collect donations for children who need it :mrgreen:

Guest Kat Stribog

I got the fabric !!! :mrgreen:

I chose the 100% coton, in red, because I want to make sure that colors match after I die them.

So here some pictures from my progress (comments and corrections are welcome !)

The skirt and the gown. I will add the triangle of red fabric after I colored the gown.

56366814.jpg54450948.jpg

The upper cloak with hood (the sleeves are not yet attached)

81649026.jpg62454021.jpg

The sleeves (with a lots of pinning :mrgreen: )

42735823.jpg

Excellent progress so far. I have a fond affinity for this costume, so it is great to see someone making it!

Guest Kat Stribog

Hello everyone :mrgreen:

I'm currently searching for a solution to a problem with the gradient dye. I have no troubles in obtaining a good gradiation, but I can't get the wanted color.

The initial fabric is red and I need it to become violet on the other end, as on the hooded coat from the picture, but even when I use a bright blue dye, it become reddish-black instead of violet.

It would be fantastic if anyone had an advise to solve this :wink:

rudz.jpg

Have you tried using a purple or even pink dye yet? I know red + blue = purple, so in theory it should work, but fabric likes to be troublesome sometimes. Perhaps using purple over the red will give you the colour gradation you need. Another option is using a fabric paint, rather then a fabric dye. Water down some fabric paint and try misting it on with a squirt bottle and see if you can get the desired effect that way. That is what we use for the Tusken raiders "dirt" look and it turns out great.

Cheers,

Nef

Guest Kat Stribog

I tried the violet dye (it's the second little square of fabric on the photo), I think it's a little better, but still not good. I never tried the pink dye yet, I'll keep you updated about that ;)

Great idea about the fabric paint ! I'll try that as soon as possible.

Thank you ! :wink:

Guest Kat Stribog

I made some dying and armor plates. There's still much work to do, like color graduations on the coat and the dress, hanging light-saber-like-thing, and so on, but there's some progress :mrgreen:

0y0b.jpg

Excellent progress so far! I'm really excited to see how the dying turns out. I know the dye can be the hardest part of this costume. Armour plates look great!

Cheers,

Nef

Guest Kat Stribog

And so here's the dying :boom:

lenr.jpg

3osz.jpg

I still have to make the amulet and the lightsaber-like-thing, also shorten the sleeves a little.

But what do you thing about the rest, what should I change or improve ?

Bonjour,

Your costume progress is taking on an impressive look. I very much appreciate your interpretation and approach to the cut of and colouring of the robe.

For reference I would like to share the work of Kathy van Beuningen, our first representative of this character in the 501st Legion.

gencon0340.jpg

(This photo was from 2003, before there was a Flagship Eclipse Detachment, before the stricter costume/reference match reviews that Legion applicants encounter today.)

I am confident your creation will be a fine asset to the Legion once complete.

Be well,

Thomas