• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Darth Malgus WIP by aj

supertoaster

Hey all, I'm new, my name's aj, and I'm working on Darth Malgus. I couldnt wait any longer for a CRL after seeing the build by Darth Serberus over on therpf. ^,^

Please feel free to give advice and critiques, I'll post some pics of what I've got so far, and more as i go. Gonna start off pic heavy to get caught up. :|

here's my references:

9021509898_2b5af8ea26.jpg

image by ajakadoo, on Flickr

9021509988_294d8082b0.jpg

image by ajakadoo, on Flickr

9021541934_6e80f4e436.jpg

IMG_1607 by ajakadoo, on Flickr

So, I started with cardboard templates for most pieces

8748705474_48035cbb49.jpg

Untitled by ajakadoo, on Flickr

here's the shins, knees, and Achilles armor

8747580891_5aea0d525b.jpg

Then i felt like it was time for a test fit, just some duck tape to hold things in place to see how it all goes together

8780444975_6d1916e281.jpg

and it turns out I'm not quite as stout as my mannequin lol. So I may have some major surgery ahead of me to size down the chest :'(

That looks awesome. Are you planning to harden your foam at all? I know some great ways that Iron Man costumers use to make the foam actually plastic.

I built an iron man this past halloween, and I used the diluted PVA glue method to seal it. I think for this, ill experiment with PVA glue then plasti-dip on top. I'm open to suggestions also (:

This is looking absolutely amazing so far! I also love the socks

Cheers,

Nef

thanks!

boots came in today, yay! :D but first i had to de-fur them :roll:

8894465762_18fd9ca2f0_n.jpg

not too shabby 8)

8896165894_4fd63aa351.jpg

i also bought some paint today, ill do samples tomorrow. gonna work on 'quilting' some material for the undersuit now using the method here - viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1935&p=18250&hilit=quilted+lines#p18250

worked a bit on my respirator today ^,^ i'm gonna smooth-cast this using XRobots' tutorial

8952677328_cc1233bd02.jpg

Depending on how well that goes, ill smooth-cast other parts of the armor as well...

...and sewing is going along...dreadfully slowly :roll: this is by far the most tedious thing i've done. I'd think i'd rather build Iron Man hands all day lol

8952681838_248dfe2064.jpg

my paint samples results were somewhat mixed. one color cracked when i applied the clear coat this morning, so that will need to be retested to determine the cause.

away i go!

thanks vaderjeff, you rock ! :D

and holy crap!! pants are done-ish! gotta put elastic in the waist and hem legs, but phew!!! i went with this very simple pajama style, basic pant from youtube:

as yo ucan see, i had baaaarely enough material lol :lol: so good thing it stretches!

8963483208_b36abe1700_z.jpg

and sewed up! with the faux quilting and all, it took an entire spool of thread! :shock:

thank goodness thats over with, the arms will be slightly less time consuming. these were my first 'from-scratch-pants' so im feeling good about it!

8963480410_e3f0a60024_z.jpg

not too much going on. little things here and there.

hand sewed zippers on the outside of the boots so they would bunch up a bit and not look so clean.

9008570471_c10956fd3c_n.jpg

got my colors laid down on some samples along with trial battle damage

9008539503_8562055d05_n.jpg

mapping out battle damage and cutting holes for LEDs

9010027392_b9099affa0_n.jpg

goofing around with the mask xD

8986760669_c6b03665e0_n.jpg

trimmed down the cod piece a tad so i can sit down with it on hehe. gonna do the cape tonight :shock:

i'm also gonna try pleather with some interfacing to replace the waist and ribs for more mobility. if the sample piece looks good, i'll do that too. i may even use it for the thighs.

i'm getting in touch with my GML to see if i can move on to the plastic coating process. once i do that, the armor pieces will be basically unchangeable, so i want to get some local feedback (and any advice from this forum will help tremendously) to avoid redesigning the armor.

thanks for your interest! (:

i got the cape done today and just had to try it all on! :lol:

minus the thigh covers and a half finished mask, and missing some velcro here and there. i did a quick suit up!

9021306650_058bcc06d1_z.jpg

9021298602_5485e5f7ff_z.jpg

please feel free to give feedback! if anything needs to be changed, i want to address those issues before i cast it in urethane! so ill be waiting a couple weeks to make sure its ready.

thanks for looking.

Looks GREAT so far to me!!! What are you planning to do about make-up & contact lenses? Also, are you planning lighting for your gauntlets, chest armor, & respirator? I'd also love to see some close-ups of your cape. What kind of material did you end up using? Is it a close match to the look of the material in some of the available high resolution images? From some of your previous posts, it looks like you've got some good ideas regarding battle scarring! I'll be EXCITED to see how this looks after you've coated the EVA & painted & weathered it! You're using a similar technique to what I'm planning for my Sith Acolyte armor build! VERY EXCITED TO SEE MORE!!! KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK!!! 8)

i think the cloth looks very similar to the bioware pic. i used a gabardine fabric and a 'french hem' for the front of the hood.

9021689638_1e8cbc2ce8.jpg

i am planning on full lighting all around. ill have to wait til after the casting though.

since this is my daily hair do :P my gf will be in charge of makeup, and as soon as i get fitted for contacts (i need them to be prescription for hockey anyway), ill order those. im gonna go with the standard sith eyes, the darth maul, Anakin etc. not sclera style.

thanks for the kind words!

for the empire!! 8)

i think the cloth looks very similar to the bioware pic. i used a gabardine fabric and a 'french hem' for the front of the hood.

9021689638_1e8cbc2ce8.jpg

i am planning on full lighting all around. ill have to wait til after the casting though.

since this is my daily hair do :P my gf will be in charge of makeup, and as soon as i get fitted for contacts (i need them to be prescription for hockey anyway), ill order those. im gonna go with the standard sith eyes, the darth maul, Anakin etc. not sclera style.

thanks for the kind words!

for the empire!! 8)

Your fabric looks similar in texture. I think it should work fine, although I personally think from some of the pics I've seen, the material actually looks more like a micro terry cloth knit material to me. I'm actually probably going to use a micro terry cloth knit material for my Acolyte robe. Here's a couple of pics to compare the look.

Here's a high resolution pic of Malgus hood area:

Darth_Malgus_head.png

& here's a pic of a piece of cotton blend micro terry cloth:

MicroTerryClothKnitinblack.jpg

Finally, here's a link to a website that sells this material.

http://www.fabric.com/apparel-fashion-f ... black.aspx

Don't get me wrong, as I think your fabric looks good. It's just not what I would have chosen. I'm not saying that you should remake your cloak either. So far, everything looks GREAT to me! KEEP IT UP!!! 8)

Hi AJ!

I'm no expert on this one by any means, but this is the best place for me to ask you questions as a GML.

I'm hoping others in FE can chime in with opinions.

These are questions, not critique:

- is it the lighting or is the undersuit a little light? Were you planning on dying it darker?

- can the biceps be rotated so the piping feature is more visible on the outside edges? They are sort of lost under the cloak.

- The codpiece looks fine in your earlier pics, but looks smallish once you put it with the undersuit. Can it be lowered a bit to minimize that apperance? (I'm comparing it to the reference picture, and that guy is a Hulk, so it's hard to judge some of the scaling issues)

- I'm trying to pick out the shin armor detail you are using to match it to reference pix. Are there that many features on the shins?

I'll end this post by saying that I really love what you've done on this.

I'm anxious to see this project come to fruition and get approved!