• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Darth Malgus WIP by aj

supertoaster

hey Gep! thanks for stopping by ^,^

i'll go in order:

-the under suit did get washed out in the light, the native camera in iPhone doesn't have a timer ): so i had to use an app WITH a timer and i guess that app doesn't use HDR :/ i do wanna darken it a little with some weathering techniques, maybe some spray paint? fabric dye? I may need to research options.

-the biceps have side release buckles that will hook into the bottom of the shoulders and hold them in place. Since I suited myself up, I couldn't reach those, and the cloak should drape more across the back, so the side wont be obstructed.

-the codpiece IS riding up a bit in these pics D: and I'm gonna add a strap that will connect to the butt cover through the legs...and my shirt should be tucked in >.<

-the shins were the first pieces i made, and I just kinda ad-libbed the details hahah. SO, now that I'm going for an approval on it, I'm re-covering them today with more subtle lines of detail. the straps need work as well, good eye (;

Thanks for the input :D

It's a shame on the shins. I really like your design detail, but reference matching is key to approval.

It looks like you are really close on the shoulder/chest armor to matching the reference.

The gaunts concern me a bit, but I cannot tell for sure from the pics how closely they match the refs.

If your pants are not synthetic material, you should be able to dye them a bit darker if needed.

If they are, weathering may do the trick, assuming the camera is not 100% at fault :wink:

If you want to do another set of pics before you do the coating, I highly recommend using a standard digital camera instead of a phone cam (at least on the ones you would send me). It will be easier to zoom in on the greeblies.

I need to let word leak that we have another person in the Evansville area that can sew 8)

You'd be surprised how often you get hit up for your talents.

I stripped the shins down and updated to match the ref better

the paint and weathering will help define the lines better

9047282074_55cb80da8e.jpg

Untitled by ajakadoo, on Flickr

9079205830_2392b7f868_z.jpg

image by ajakadoo, on Flickr

The gaunts concern me a bit, but I cannot tell for sure from the pics how closely they match the refs.

gauntlets are mostly layers at this point, like placeholders. after coating them, ill be able to sand the edges to get rounded corners and angled surfaces.

I need to let word leak that we have another person in the Evansville area that can sew

You'd be surprised how often you get hit up for your talents.

:lol: i'd be happy to help out. always need to get better.

gotta put the knees back on these shin guards, wish me luck!

:D

Good morning,

And good call on the reference matching. I am happy to see productive criticism taken in the spirit offered and put into action.

When you are ready, and if you like, I will be happy to review your suit in detail with the notion of giving you Detachment sponsorship for Legion Inclusion. As I see it, the DL's role in membership is one of support, reference, and quality control. Approval of a costume new to the Legion is meant to be granted by the Legion Membership Officer(s) and activated by the appropriate GML.

Also, please know that I will not be supporting the notion that a CRL is required to approve a costume. I was the Legion Membership Officer presiding over the creation of the CRL and I requested DL’s to focus only on units that had representation of five or more approved costume examples from which to establish a standard. I believe that expecting an individual representing a new to the Legion costume to provide a full CRL work up is an unwarranted burden. (It is also an honour, but only if the individual chooses to participate.)

It makes me very proud to see a GML take their role seriously, vetting a candidate before LMO review with their own research.

I await to see how your work takes to painting. Some of Darth Malgus’s armour is metallic, other parts have a sheen. There is room for some interpretation, but the material qualities need to be considered when comparing reference.

In any case, I am very excited for your work. I feel it is inspirational.

Be well,

Thomas

It makes me very proud to see a GML take their role seriously, vetting a candidate before LMO review with their own research.

Thanks for weighing on this Thomas, and for the kind words! 8)

AJ, I like the new shin a lot better.

I am happy to see productive criticism taken in the spirit offered and put into action.

That's why I'm here! ^_^ thanks for stopping by with encouraging words.

AJ, I like the new shin a lot better.

woot! I'm going to revisit the biceps next. I feel I can tune them closer to the ref, but my only issue is the top of the bicep piece is hidden. It seems to just end with a straight line horizontally, and the black stripes go all the way to the top.

thanks to you both!

I hope to have more to share very soon

Guest jmartinez77

The under suit looks very similar to Darth Vaders just a lighter shade of black? I am working on my reference materials because in the next couple of months I will be building one as well. I'm kind of hung up on how I will build the chest piece. I don't know if I will do foam with a couple coats of apoxy or make a mold and vacuum form in abs. Looks great so far!

I'm out of it for a little while and posts like this pop up...

:mrgreen:

This looks awesome, man. Absolutley fantastic. I've wanted to do a Malgus for some time, and still have packages of EVA foam lined up to do it. This entire post is inspiring and looks like a great reference for when I'm finally able to start my own.

Have you made any other progress since June?