• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out theĀ New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Yuuzhan Vong

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

My husband and I have put things on hold until the Invasion comics get a bit further. I'm hoping that we'll get a lot more to work with as far as full-body images here. Perhaps it will show more for a shaper? It bugs me to no end that the descriptions we have in the books don't always match the visual images. Some of the images of the armor show it as smooth, but the books seem to describe it as having a coral texture. I know that in one of the books, I'll have to remember which one, Nem Yim is also referenced as wearing a cloak, although I think that was more for the purpose of disguise. Would it be beneficial if I went back through the books and posted text descriptions of what they wear? I know it won't replace the visual references we need, but it may help clear some things up.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Anonymous

I am currently working on a Yuuzhan Vong costume, and hope to have it approved in the denezins section of the 501st. If it's not approvable by the time I finish it, I will still wear it trooping anyway (just not to visit the kids in hospital).

From Star Wars Celebration III (2005)

SWCIII_pban.jpg

Ā 

SWCIIIFr011.jpg

Ā 

SWCIIIFr012.jpg

Ā 

An argument to approve a specific Yuuzhan Vong warrior or other chaste member for 501st could be made, but will require a costume made after a specific Yuuzhan Vong warrior or other chaste member to have any weight.

Ā 

Be prepared to defend every aspect of your costume, front and back--side to side with reference.

Ā 

Be well,

Thomas

Ā 

PS

I swear on my plaeryin bol you will not be alone.

Guest Anonymous

That's exactly what I expect, and no less. I'm sinking a few grand into, so if it doesn't get approved, it will prove they just don't want them yet.

Ā 

I'm also learning the Yuuzhan Vong language so I can represent the character more acurately.

id still LOVE to make a shaper costume...perhaps the one from Legacy comics as she has many images of her and i like her costume.

Its one of those that how long would it take to make, how much, how often would i wear it and would that justify what i could afford to spend...maybe one day!

Guest Anonymous

I will probably only wear it to conventions, of which there are several I attend in a year, but it's more about setting a standard, and getting it approved. As to the money issue ... if it's worth doing, it's worth doing right ... in my oppinion.

As to the money issue ... if it's worth doing, it's worth doing right ... in my oppinion.

Ā 

i agree, thats why i doubt id do mine any time soon lol

Guest Anonymous

I'm in the position where I have this insatiable need to do things perfectly, so from the moment I decided to do a Yuuzhan Vong costume, I knew it was going to be an expensive and long road, and it's a personal standard I was meaning, not a general standard. I just hope my personal standard is going to be good enough to get the 501st moderators' attention, and impress them enough to have them finally approve one of these for use with the 501st.

Ā 

That's my ultimate goal!

...I'm sinking a few grand into [it], so if it doesn't get approved, it will prove they just don't want them yet...

I'm not sure I agree with the logic. To equate the cost, and only the cost, of a costume project with the likelihood of 501st acceptance would be a non sequitur.

Ā 

Build it; build it exactly matching specific visual character references in every way, from every angle, head to toe; prove the match.

Ā 

it will get approved.

Ā 

It will also be a awesome sight. :D

Ā 

~ Vonnor

Guest Anonymous
...I'm sinking a few grand into [it], so if it doesn't get approved, it will prove they just don't want them yet...

I'm not sure I agree with the logic. To equate the cost, and only the cost, of a costume project with the likelihood of 501st acceptance would be a non sequitur.

Ā 

Build it; build it exactly matching specific visual character references in every way, from every angle, head to toe; prove the match.

Ā 

it will get approved.

Ā 

It will also be a awesome sight. :D

Ā 

~ Vonnor

Ā 

I agree with you, from your perspective, but I made that comment based on the fact that others seem to have tried, and been knocked back. I can only equate this with a costume that is not up to the standards that the 501st require, and to my mind, that would be due to a lack of resources put into it (namely money), so I intend to counter this with a professional quality costume, as you would see in a film. This will cost me lots of dollars, but to concur with your statement - it will indeed be a sight to see, and from my perspective, worth the time and effort. If, after the time and effort has been put into the costume, and it has turned out every bit as professional as I desire, and the 501st don't approve it, then, and only then, will I say that they just don't want this costume ... YET! I am sure they will accept it sooner or later, but even if they don't approve it at this time, I will still wear it to troops that I do with the 501st, and our squad leader has said that if the costume is up to the 501st standard, he would be happy for me to troop with them in it.

Ā 

Your optimism on the project is motivating, and I intend it to be exactly like the pictures I have seen, so here's hoping ... and I will of course keep everyone interested up to date.

Good evening,

Ā 

I have been the Legion Membership Officer for three years. Ultimately, it would fall to me to approve any new Expanded Universe character for the 501st's list of represented characters. In all the tyme I served I have never once heard of anyone with a completed Yuuzhan Vong costume seeking 501st membership.

Ā 

In fact, the only Yuuzhan Vong costume I am aware of is the one posted on pages 1 and 2 of this thread. (And I would request revisions to that costume before approval.)

Ā 

The standing orders for 501st costuming expectation is "to look like it came right off the screen." A trick when the character that the costume is based on has never been on the screen.

Ā 

I qualify reviews on reference and the input of other vetted/established costumers--most often Detachment Leaders like our lady Pam. I also turn to LFL staff and friends in the Artist and Gaming communities--many of which are responsible for the creation of the characters we discuss here.

NYCC09101.jpg

Ā 

Be well,

Thomas

Guest Anonymous
Good evening,

Ā 

I have been the Legion Membership Officer for three years. Ultimately, it would fall to me to approve any new Expanded Universe character for the 501st's list of represented characters. In all the tyme I served I have never once heard of anyone with a completed Yuuzhan Vong costume seeking 501st membership.

Ā 

In fact, the only Yuuzhan Vong costume I am aware of is the one posted on pages 1 and 2 of this thread. (And I would request revisions to that costume before approval.)

Ā 

The standing orders for 501st costuming expectation is "to look like it came right off the screen." A trick when the character that the costume is based on has never been on the screen.

Ā 

I qualify reviews on reference and the input of other vetted/established costumers--most often Detachment Leaders like our lady Pam. I also turn to LFL staff and friends in the Artist and Gaming communities--many of which are responsible for the creation of the characters we discuss here.

NYCC09101.jpg

Ā 

Be well,

Thomas

Ā 

Hi Thomas.

Ā 

Thank you for stopping in and quantifying our discussion. Perhaps I should keep in touch with you to see how this project is going, and you can give me direction as needed.

Ā 

Can I assume that my costume will be accepted by the 501st if it meets the standards required?

Ā 

I know exactly what you mean by "right off the screen" when they were never on the screen, but it's a movie look that I will be going for, as if they really were in a film. It's that level of professionalism that I will be aiming for with this costume, so I hope you like what I create. I know the squad here are looking forward to it.

Guest Daritha

I'm thrilled to see your Vong project going. I grew up with NJO so I'm familiar with Nom Anor, Onimi and Voxyns. I read the first novel when I was in 7th grade and finished the series right it after I finished school (our local publisher Blanvalet is late with the translations ... one among many reasons I switched to English novels). It would be great if we have a Yuuzhan Vong in the Legion! Go on. I'm sure that you will find many many people who want to contribute your idea and help you in realizing it. I'm among them.

Ā 

Its tricky, yes. But I'm sure it helps with face correctness when you have a character who is modeled after one's own likeness, eh? :wink:

Ā 

id still LOVE to make a shaper costume...perhaps the one from Legacy comics as she has many images of her and i like her costume
That'd be cool! 8) I always liked Nen Yim from the novels (I don't know much about Nei Rin except from her look).

Ā 

I'm also learning the Yuuzhan Vong language so I can represent the character more acurately.

Do-ro'ik vong pratte!

Ā 

And: I hope you don't slit your lips like Tsavong Lah, soon-be Child of Yun-Yuuzhan.

Guest Anonymous

*LOL* ... no fear of me defacing myself just to be a Yuuzhan Vong. I am sure my mask will be all that requires "alteration". I'm not that much into pain either, so any implants or mutilations will be limited to my costume.

Ā 

It's going to be a pretty big build, but I'm planning on having it done by middle of next year, so I'll keep you all informed when it's done.

Ā 

The enemies will definately be woefull !!!!!

Ā 

Ai' tanna Shimrra khotte Yun'o

Guest Anonymous

My Yuuzhan Vong costume so far ...

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

This is my first "draught" of the costume :

Ā 

YuuzhanVong.jpg

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

After I saw the photos, I instantly knew some things needed changing. This is my second phase of my costume, debuted at Supanova in November 2011. The guy in the photo with me is Tom Taylor, writer of Star Wars Invasion ...

Ā 

withTomTaylor2.jpg

Ā 

Ā 

withTomTaylor1.jpg

Ā 

Changes are currently underway to further improve the costume, so stay tuned for those.

Ā 

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id= ... ef=tn_tnmn

Guest Anonymous

Thanks Sakara. I really appreciate your opinion. I'm not 100% happy with it, so I have been hesitant in posting anything about it, but I finally figured that I may as well, and see what people think, so that I will know for sure how well I am tracking with it.

Ā 

If you look at the dates of my last posts, you will see that this has been a two year build, and the last bits were rushed because I promised Tom (Taylor) that I would have it finished and wear it to the convention the pics were taken at, so now I am remaking bits that I don't like, so it's still not really completed yet, but at least it's a wearable costume.

Ā 

Here's my amphistaff, for those who are interested :

Ā 

DSCF1001.jpg

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id= ... ef=tn_tnmn

Everyone sees faults in their own costumes. I love seeing people bring Vong to life, and this certainly looks like a Vong to me!

One of my dream costumes is to do a Shaper...maybe one day!

Guest Anonymous

You have wanted to do a shaper for a few years now. It will be a sight to see that's for sure.

Ā 

I found that the most difficult part of mine was making all the spikes "child safe" while still maintaining a look of hard armour.

Ā 

How many other Yuuzhan Vong costumes have you seen? I'd be very interested in seeing some others.

yeah...its sits with a list a mile long of dream costumes. But recently i have been playing with EVA foam and could see how that could be carved and shaped to form nasty looking but safe spikes. Its the shaper's hands that stump me..to look right the add ons would need to be thin..and thus possibly dangerous. Ah well...it will come to me some day! (The other thing holding me back is i've kind of lost my love of Star Wars in general. I still appreciate other people's EU costumes but don't want to tackle any myself. It might return some day, maybe when Lucas leaves it the hell alone and stops messing with it :D )

Ā 

I've only seen 1, maybe 2 other Yuuzhan Vong costumes. The one that sticks in my memory is someone in a full black warrior costume. They had a full face mask instead of prosthetics. If i can find the pic ill post it.

Guest Anonymous

Now I understand why you haven't done a shaper yet. I've been looking through your website, and your costumes are epic. I can see that you have more than enough skill to do a shaper, and do it extremely well. I also see that some of the other costumes in your profile are lightyears ahead of my YV. They make my costume seem pitiful.

Ā 

It's a shame you've lost interest in SW costuming, but I understand it. I did for a while too, which is one reason why my YV took me so long to complete. I think the other YV costume you've seen is the one from Celebration. The guy's name is John, and it's an all black padded foam costume. It doesn't really look menacing to me as it looks too soft, but credit to him for having the only other YV in the last 10+ years (that I'm aware of). I wanted to take mine to CVI but I won't be able to afford it this time. Maybe in another 4 years I might be able to make it.

Awe thank you so much for your kind words. I think the other issue, of course im not alone in this one, is a financial one. I can no longer afford to make costumes i feel wont get the wear that I feel makes it worth the cost. A shaper would only really work at a Star wars event and i'm not going to be attending one of them for a while lol.

Ā 

yes that's the other costume i've seen. I think if the foam were coated in plastidip to give it a more organic rubbery feel it wouldn't look so 'cute' he did look kind of cuddly lol. Cudos to him though for tackling such a costume!

Guest Anonymous

I totally get you re: the money issue. It always seems my costume desires exceed my pocket ... Oh well ... such is life.

Ā 

I was serious about your ability. Some of those pieces you have made make mine look second rate. You must be putting a lot of time and money into some of those. You also look very sexy in them too - Something I cannot achieve in my Yuuzhan Vong costume. It's a bit intimidating, and all the spikey its make it very difficult for anyone to get close enough for a cuddle *LOL* ...

Ā 

I guess a shaper is kind of a mute idea now that you no longer troop Star Wars, but that leads me to ask why you still stay involved with the forums? I would think this thread would have been long forgotten, but yet, here you are, the only person who has even seen my posts. It kind of seems a bit "6th Sense" ...

Well i was asked by Pam if i'd be a mentor here (for Visas Marr mainly as i'm still honoured to have been the first cleared with her character) and even though i do not costume star wars now, i do like seeing people's work.

EU is such a very creative outlet as people are taking 2D and making it 3D. If i can advise on fabrics and makeup (my areas of experience) then i'm happy to. Yuuzhan Vong have always been of interest to me because when i read the novels i was amazed at such a cool new species had been created and thought to myself i'd love to see someone do a costume of them!

Don't knock yourself down on your costume, when i say i am impressed i mean it! :D

Ā 

Ā 

My costumes when added up do often cost alot, but many are made over the course of a long period of time so cost outlay isn't as big. I also know where to get the good but cheaper fabric in the UK, so that helps hehe Oh and having a supportive boyfriend who also costumes helps. My birthday and Xmas presents often involve some costume piece or fabric that i'd been eyeing up!

If i can advise on fabrics and makeup (my areas of experience) then i'm happy to.

^ This is an incorrect statement.

Ā 

It should read:

Ā 

If i can advise on fabrics and makeup (my areas of awe inspiring genius) then i'm happy to.

Ā 

Ā 

Pam :-)