• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Nihilus crown

Quixotic5891

Just finished my stormtrooper so its planning time for my nihilus costume. How have most of you put you mask and crown together? Could you post pics or ideas. Also I am getting ready to order the raw silk but I am not sure on the amount I should buy. I am about 5'7" 190lbs with a medium build. Thanks for any help!

For the quantity of silk, just going for rough estimates here.

For mine we used roughly:

4 yards for the tunics.

3 yards for the inner skirt

2 yards for the outer skirt

About half a yard for the Obi

and about 7 yards total for the capes and hood.

You can see how mine's made at http://www.chucrew.com/Nihilus/robes.html

For the crown, you can see how mine was put together at:

http://www.chucrew.com/Nihilus/hood.html

I no longer make the hood pieces, but if it's something you're interested in, please drop me a PM and I'll put you in touch with a friend of mine who now makes them from my molds.

For my Nihilus I ended up using about 16 meter's of fabric, which converts to 17.5 Yards. I'm 5'9 and have a small heel on my boot to try and get a bit of extra height. Still makes no difference when I'm standing next to our 6'6" Vader though, hahaha.

For the crown I made mine with the top of a plastic bowler hat (cut the rim off), chicken wire, cardboard, tape, and acrylic molding paste (or Bondo works too).

I placed the chicken wire on the top of the bowler hat and bent it till I got the shape I wanted. I then punched holes through the plastic hat top with an awl and threaded the wire ends through to secure the chicken wire down. I then taped strips of cardboard along the edge of the chicken wire to re-enforce it and to make sure it kept it's shape. Then I taped the whole thing to fill in the holes and have a smoother surface to work on.

This is what it looked like:

hood1.jpg[/url]

I covered the whole thing in a few layers of acrylic molding paste (or bondo) to make it hard. Once it was set I used an awl to poke holes along the front edge. These holes are where I attached the fabric of the cape too. Looked like this before I sewed the fabric on.

hood2.jpg[/url]

The mask is mainly held on around my head with a wide elastic band, but at the very top, behind the silver part I glued on 2 snaps. They snap to the fabric at the centre of the crown and keep the mask from shifting.

Hope this helps and good luck with your Nihilus build!

Cheers,

Nef

I used between 17-18 yards of raw silk when I made my friends nihilus costume, but he's 6'5". Even though you're not that tall it still takes a lot of fabric to make this costume, so I suggest you buy an extra yard or two more than you think you'll need. If you need the mask and crown you should pm woodman.