• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Mara Jade Blue and Black Arica

Guest FallenJedisLady

Guest FallenJedisLady

I've seen the standards, so it's obviously an acceptable costume. My question is can I use this for application purposes? And I have a pair of black suede boots I'd like to show you but I've apparently misplaced my USB cable for getting pictures off my phone, so that will have to be at a later date. I was wondering if I could use those for comfort sake for trooping in. I have no problem running around cons barefoot however for an official look.

For the hair, I'll need to look into a proper style wig. My hair is super long and I won't cut it right away.

Guest kimballk

WELCOME!!!!

I'm sure one of the costume mentors will be able to answer this better, but from what I can see, the "black" boots would be allowed.

Based on the CRL saying "black Slave Leia style boots"

Footwear

For 501st approval:

•Arica is barefoot while wearing this dress. When shoes are needed for the costumer's comfort and safety, footwear similar to the styles seen in Jabba's palace may be worn.

•Acceptable footwear includes the sandals seen with the Arica jumpsuit, black Slave Leia style boots, or sandals similar to those worn by Oola.

Here's the footwear quote from the RL CRL for Slave Leia:

Suede or suedecloth flat or low-heeled boots (heel should be no higher than 1.5”) in the following approvable colors: dark taupe, grayish-green or medium gray. Burnished gold/copper metallic decoration trim the top of each boot on an angle. Tailored boots only – no Ugg or other chunky or winter boots.

Hopefully one of the Costume Mentors can Chime in to confirm...

Kevin

Guest FallenJedisLady

I'll still get a pic up of them as soon as possible for approval. I'd say they're definitely Slave Leia style and in black. They're out of suede or a suede like material, I've had them for years so I know I could troop in them and be comfortable when they're needed. The tops slope towards the back and they're definitely of the flat heeled variety.

I learned the hard way this weekend not to wear 2" or higher heels for cons and trooping. Hahaha! Also, for the Arica costume, do they HAVE to have a little embellishment on the boots? Or is that optional?

Guest kimballk

The quote I gave you want from the RL CRL, so I'd say those were for Slave Leia and wouldn't be required for Arica.

Again, let's let one of the Costume Mentors step in. While I know the way the CRLs are written, we're not talking about a costume I've seen very often in person...

Kevin

Guest FallenJedisLady

I can find pictures of other cosplayers in the Arica costume. But I don't believe they're 501st members because they lack certain things that are required for the cosplay to be approovable.

Now, my fiance found this: https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos- ... 3472_n.jpg I figured the answer is no anyway, but would something like the footwear there be okay in a pinch?

Hi,

I'm afraid those wouldn't work. Ideally, Mara doesn't wear any shoes at all with this costume. The point of allowing the boots or sandals is to give a chance to protect a girls's feet while out and about at conventions or events. The crochet... I'm not sure what they are called... would not serve that purpose at all, and don't look like any reference images we've seen for footwear in Jabba's palace.

For a barefoot look without the truly bare feet, there's always options like this, trimmed down so they're not so visible:

http://stickysandals.com/disposables.htm

The preferred footwear would be sandals like those Mara is already shown with:

Arica1.jpg

Or sandals like those worn by Oola or Lyn Me. Or, in a pinch, Slave Leia style boots, in black.

boot2.jpg

Pam :-)