• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Brooding on new costume :P

Guest Doc-Girlfriend

Guest Doc-Girlfriend

So I have decided this will be my next costume ...

I have been working on a BUNCH of other stuff for a while ... costumes for Dragoncon 2012 and my Deathtrooper (needs some finishing details before I submit for approval) and costumes for 2013 Cons :D

But I have been looking for a kickarse costume to join the Rebel Legion with ... I have started work on a Amidala Throne room dress but that is a LONG LONG term project. So in the mean time I wanna make this! I have liked this Character for a while but haven't considered the costume very challenging/"fun to make" so have not really looked it to it until recently.

So now I have started a thread I WILL HAVE to make it :P hehe

No. I have played the game and it does not. Just around the chest to under each arm. That RL thread is about my costume, and they wanted me to change far too much on it. They have no costume standards, and when my friend in RL asked them what they were she was directed to the 501st CRL.

Guest Doc-Girlfriend

hmmm :/ frustrating .. I would be interested to know what they wanted changed... I have seen a few of their "approved" Broods and I am not seeing the difference, could you PM with with a list?? pretty please :D.

I have also seen pics of the fancy shin guard version .. which doesn't appear to be in the game and I am not sure where it cames from ... maybe just fan art. Does anyone know where that art work comes from and any feelings on using it for the costume

Maris_Brood2.jpg

No. I have played the game and it does not. Just around the chest to under each arm. That RL thread is about my costume, and they wanted me to change far too much on it. They have no costume standards, and when my friend in RL asked them what they were she was directed to the 501st CRL.

I can clarify this a bit, since the "they" that asked Krista to make changes for Rebel Legion approval was me.

The main thing to remember is that there are two distinct versions of this costume. There is the Padawan Maris, who appears in only one cut-scene, and the Dark-Side/Sith version who appears later in the game.

The version that Krista built was clearly the Sith version and as such would not have been approvable as-is in the RL. The discussions on the RL are naturally focused on the Padawan version, which as you can see in the RL thread that Doc-GF linked above has the braided chest-strap going all the way around the back. You can also see it if you look closely in this pic: http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2 ... lucian.jpg

...which is also the Padawan version.

Whether the sith version game-screenshots prove or disprove the "chest-strap-around-the-back" or not I have not seen. Since my focus is on the Padawan version I have not yet studied the Sith as closely.

Generally for video game character costumes, in both 501st and RL if and where non-game image references conflict with in-game screenshots, the in-game reference takes precedence.

The fancy leg-guards do not conflict with the cut-scene screenshots of the padawan version and as such would be RL approvable. I pasted some screen-shots on the above mentioned thread that vaguely show the three straps holding the leg guards on as well as the tab ends of those straps.

Bill Costigan

RL EU Jedi Costume Judge

Guest Doc-Girlfriend

Thanks for clearing that up, Bill! Very Helpful! It is a very useful page on the RL forum with lots of GREAT pics!!

I am still interested what people think of the Fancy Guards for the SITH version.

Guest Doc-Girlfriend

maris_and_the_rancor__2_by_voreq-d4olj7p.jpg

I THINK this is a screen cap from the game ... looks like a good ref for the shin guards ... looks like there are three straps with buckles on them

Fantastic shot. Hard to tell if they are buckles or sliders, but there's definitely some metal thingies there.

I have seen these series of images (Maris vs. Rancor) but can't remember where. I believe they are an original composition by an artist who grabbed the 3D models/skins from the game and used another app to set up the scenes, but it doesn't look like the skins have been altered.

Great find.

Guest kimballk

I think it's the angle of the shot that's making it look that way.

The formal CRL doesn't specify, but the few costumes I saw at CVI, I thought were the same size. (but to be honest I didn't look THAT close.)

Kevin

Guest Doc-Girlfriend

NEXT question .. does the LIGHT strap on the belt go to the ends of the belt?? can't see it in any of the pics ... just wanna check

Guest Doc-Girlfriend

So this was my first full costume practice run ... at the Sydney Easter Show .. these pics were taken after the Parade and I was totally hot and sweaty and gross and my horn putty was lifting a bit at the edges and my hair was everywhere :P

still got a few things I want to fix up on this but I am happy with this trial run.

554069_484132481640901_453406314_n.jpg

554003_484131448307671_1765236126_n.jpg

Guest Sarah1968
NEXT question .. does the LIGHT strap on the belt go to the ends of the belt?? can't see it in any of the pics ... just wanna check

I love that Charlies Angels pose.