• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

R&D on Lumiya

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hello everyone! I just joined the group and I'm starting to research Lumiya. I have encountered a few issues and I was wondering what everyone else's thoughts were:

1. The lightwhip. In Sacrifice, her lightwhip is described as braided leather with bits of Mandalorian iron, or something to that effect. Several pictures I have found confirm this. But, what about the "light" in lightwhip? In other pictures, it looks like lightning coming out of a hilt. I'm thinking there's no chance of making it light up.

2. The chestbox. Three different pictures, three different configurations. I'm tending to favor the chestbox shown in her confrontation with Mara.

3. The legs and feet. It looks nearly impossible to have solid armor. It almost looks like a metallic silver spandex would work the best. However, I'm concerned about the part that goes under her belt and then juts out above it.

4. Upper body armor. Her right arm is solid metal. The left is easy enough. Maybe a gauntlet with an extension of some sort. Any ideas on how to fabricate?

5. The cape. In most of the artwork I've seen, her cape is tattered on the bottom. However, I came across a drawing by Mark Hudson with the Lucasfilm trademark that shows her cape clean on the bottom.

Sewing and metal fabrication is beyond me. Any ideas would be most welcomed. Thanks and I can't wait to come out and play! :twisted:

Greetings and welcome. I have no idea on most of your questions...but...

I was working on a fan film in which i told them i would NOT attempt rotoscoping their lightwhip (not enough time in mah day). Their solution was to use EL (electroluminescent) filament.

There's a lot of places that sell this stuff, but i stopped at my first google result. More info here - http://www.beingseen.com/cable.html

It comes as small as 2.5mm

Picture example of EL cable/filament being used:

qwik026.jpg

Good luck. My gf wants to do Lumiya too, so i'm eager to watch progress.

Guest Anonymous

Wow! The wheels are turning already. I just knew that someone would have something out there. Thanks for the tip and the warm welcome. I think Lumiya is going to be pretty tricky. Any thoughts on how to construct the triangular headdress?

Sorry...i'll have to leave that stuff to the pros here. I'm sure there can be more than one way...

If your hair is long enough, you cay maybe dbl bun it or something. I'm a bald guy....so hair advice pretty much nil....in 92 when in highschool and a long-haired metalhead, mehbe....now...uh uh.

Waaaayyyyy out of my realm of knowledge. I'll keep an eye out for folks' suggestions since i'm struggling with the same things.

Guest Anonymous

Thanks! I'm almost thinking some kind of "hat" with fabric wrapped around it. Something made of plastic or a sturdy felt that could sit comfortably on top of the head without slippage. It would probably have to be secured with pins or an elastic thingy that goes under the chin. It would be hidden underneath all the other wrappings and the fabric that goes across the nose and mouth. Wow, there's just so much to think about.

Guest bassclarinets

does it look more like fabric or hair -

if either - i would maybe try going with some floral foam as a base and then building off of that - wrapping in it - etc..

if fabric - if you have ever tried forming with a glue/water mix, you can make the fabric quite stiff and it will hold pretty well.. (its worth playing with)

jen

Guest Cleverlilminx

As far as the headwrap...

have you ever heard of Buckram? It's a fabric with starch embedded in it, a VERY stiff fabric. It is used in hat making. You could make the shape with that, and then cover up the form with fabric wrapped around the base and hand baste it in place.

If this does not make sense, give me a couple of days to sit down and try to make it clearer.

Guest Anonymous

Never heard of Buckram, but I'm definitely going to look into it. I also contacted a place in Burbank, CA that does custom hats. You send them a picture, they make it. They've done a lot of movie knockoffs. I e-mailed them a picture to get a quote. If it's outrageous, I'll try to make it myself. Thanks so much for the tip. This is all very new to me, but I'm a quick study. :D

I definitely appreciate everyone's input. Keep it comin'!

Guest Anonymous

Oh by the way, I like the florist foam idea too. If this thing's going to be on my head for a long time, it better be as light as possible. Also, in my avatar, Lumiya's duds look blue. I think they're black, right?

Guest Sakara

looking forward to this progress. Ive just finished Betrayal and Lumiya is a definitely a cool character! :D

Guest Anonymous

Lumiya is very cool. It gets better the farther you get along in the LOTF series so keep on readin'! :D

I'm planning on going to the craft store tonight to get some foam and see what I can do with it for the headdress. I'm not very graceful so this will be verrrry interesting.

Guest Sakara
Lumiya is very cool. It gets better the farther you get along in the LOTF series so keep on readin'! :D

I'm planning on going to the craft store tonight to get some foam and see what I can do with it for the headdress. I'm not very graceful so this will be verrrry interesting.

oh yes...that and the whole Jacen...darth...********* :twisted::roll::lol: storyline

(im terrible at wanting to know the story ahead....hehe)

Suggestion on the turban wrapping...have a search on google for turban wrapping as there is a Sikh style that is similar to hers with the triangular shape.

Guest Cleverlilminx

I don't know about using floral (green) foam...

Anytime I ever used it, I would get covered in tiny particles, it was like the damn thing was shedding. I hope that makes sense.

If you won't/can't use buckram, try plastic canvas instead. You can custom create a sturdy base for this headpiece with either material and it shouldn't break the bank.

Guest bassclarinets

when i wrap the floral foam- i dont have the shedding problem - or i used the green styrofoam that they put in the floral section but it is a bit more sturdy ;) (you can get shrink wrap in the floral/basket area of your craft store) :)

jen

Guest Cleverlilminx

IMO, if your going to use foam, go with upholstery foam, I also found that with floral foam, it can be dented easily.

I think that foam can retain too much body heat and that can make the costume hot and comfortable for some folks.

Guest Anonymous

Thanks for all the great ideas everyone! When I went to the craft store tonight, there wasn't any foam that was large enough to carve from. But, foam does sound like it would be quite hot. I will be doing some more Googling tonight for the other options discussed. The triangular shape really makes it hard.

Guest Sakara

ooh just thought another option is wire mesh. The cheaper option is rabbit wire which has larger holes but is cheap enough to try out a shape and is light

or a slightly more expensive option is a craft modeller's mesh called Wireform by Amaco.

i used it to form the shape of my Dame vaako headdress

Once you made the frame of the headdress you cover it in felt and then itl be light and soft on your head to wrap the turban.,

Guest Anonymous

I just got some wire mesh from the craft store. They only come in 12"X24" sheets and who knows if that's big enough. I bought two sheets just in case. I'll probably get to it tomorrow night. I spent today after work searching for a unitard for Lumiya's main body. No luck. I saw some on eBay, so I'll probably go that route.

Guest Anonymous
Thanks! I'm almost thinking some kind of "hat" with fabric wrapped around it. Something made of plastic or a sturdy felt that could sit comfortably on top of the head without slippage. It would probably have to be secured with pins or an elastic thingy that goes under the chin. It would be hidden underneath all the other wrappings and the fabric that goes across the nose and mouth. Wow, there's just so much to think about.

Yes, I'd think a rigid "hat" understructure could work really well, secured with pins or some such. With all the wrapping on top, you could use just about anything for the understructure as it'd be hidden, right?

Welcome to the boards, by the way! :)

- Carolyn

Guest Anonymous

Hey Carolyn!

We met at CIV. I was the one that took some EU group photos and sent them to you. I told you I wanted to come and play with you guys! :wink:

Anyway, I had a brainstorm on how to form this tricky headdress. OK don't laugh--paper mache! I was thinking about blowing up a balloon the approximate size of my head, adding something to form the triangular corners, and paper mache-ing it! It just might be crazy enough to work.

Guest Anonymous

DOH! I feel stupid, now! LOL! HI!!!!!! :)

Hey, paper mache could definitely work. You could also use Wireform, perhaps, as the base for the mache work...have you seen Wireform before? Useful stuff. I used it as the basis for a helm I made once using Mod Podge in place of paper mache (it's more durable).

http://www.sculpt.com/catalog_98/wireform/WireForm1.htm

Guest Anonymous

I got that wire mesh at the craft store last night. I took it out of the package and just stared at it, not even knowing where to start. I was thinking to do the paper mache to create the shape and then forming the wire mesh around it. I am seriously retarded so this is the most foolproof way I can think of to get the shape right with the mesh.

I got a quote back from the custom hatmaker in Burbank-$298. Yeah, um, I think I'll try to make it myself. :lol:

Guest Sakara

the mesh is very easy to manipulate by hand...and cut with scissors and then you can use a pair of pliers to bend the edges over. Its a great base to work the papier mache over..

the problem i see with balloons is theyd be too rounded on top ( less triangular headdress..more boobie head lol..) whereas the shape of her turban looks slightly more pointed...more cones than domes if you see what i mean.