• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Jumpsuit fabric

Guest jadedsabre

I just bought another 5 yards of the MJ Trends fabric (and lovely customer service they have :)- they fixed a form error within a few hours of me asking about it) so I wanted to know if it is an acceptable fabric for membership? The guidelines still say medium sheen (some of the artwork does show rather more gloss and others rather less.. sigh).

My other catsuit made from the stuff already is so comfortable and really supportive that I would feel more confident if I were to remake my suit from this rather than what I have used so far. Nightmare that it was to sew and sad as I'd be to see that work wasted ;)

Guest Anonymous

When I started searching for Mara fabrics I found one that was incredible. It's really stretchy, but doesn't get deformed like PVC can when it's stretched out a lot. It feels like leather and even has a nice leather look to it.

The closer I get to being ready to sew my final jumpsuit the more nervous I get, and I went searching for some more of it online. It's a fabric called "liquid leather" and the local store said that they couldn't order anymore of it and probably wouldn't carry it again. What I found out was that liquid leather is a high-tech Japanese fabric that was first released in 2007. You can find some jackets and clothes already made of it, but I've not found anywhere that has the actual fabric.

If you find anywhere that does have it, I highly recommend you check it out, and maybe point me to where you found it.

Guest Anonymous

I've heard of liquid leather...never seen any place that sells the fabric. Although I do know a site that sells unitards made out of it....it could be modified to match Mara's (ex. take off the collar and sleeves, and then use one of them to make the diamond). Here's the link: http://www.riversedgedancewear.com/lilemoneunbt.html

Its a little pricy, but hey, if its an easy solution...

Guest Anonymous

I actually wound up using a 4-way stretch cire fabric for my most recent jumpsuit.

Originally I had used a PVC vinyl similar to what was used in the Decipher shoot, but the unfortunate result with the 2-way stretch was that it didn't give enough along the seams in the right places so I ended up looking like a flat stick. When I'm nearing 6 ft in my boots and am skinny to begin with, I need all the curves I can get! I then tried more careful tailoring and a leather look vinyl. It was a heavy indoor-outdoor wear fabric that looked smashing, but has no breathability. And naturally I looked like a tailored stick. It also didn't move well enough in the legs to fence in properly, so I needed to switch to a stretchier fabric.

The cire was fantastic to work with. I purchased mine from a dance fabric retailer. I've also seen versions on Denver Fabrics website but got lucky and found a bolt in person before checking out their swatches. It actually has a slight pattern to it- looks similar to "micro sequins" but not- that actually mimics the grain of leather while providing a 4-way stretch. Depending on your lighting and distance, it could pass for a synthetic leather instead of dance wear. The pattern picks up the light like shiny leather while the stretch behind it keeps it mostly matte. It's a nifty trick. The extra benefit of dance fabric is that it moves and breathes like it dance or athletic clothing and is comfortable... and I also don't look like the 6 ft stick that I am.

I can have complete confidence that I can take on anyone with my lightsaber without popping seams! It'll keep me happy for some time, I think.

I've decided to write here and not to create a new topic cause I have quite similar problem: I need new jumpsuit for my Mara as two old ones are quite weathered :( (I've bought ready catsuits and just added some piping and padding but the fabric occured to be of poor quality... it was some kind of lycra with metallic coating). As in Poland it's difficult to get the right fabric I'll try to get some via ebay and here's my question: is it better to get 4 way stretch vinyl (as here: http://cgi.ebay.com/BLACK-STRETCH-VINYL ... 45f3a6f066 Well, they say that it's for upholstery but for me looks quite good. The only thing I'm afraid of is if it's not too thick or stiff.) or maybe "wet look foil 4 way stretch lycra" (like here: http://cgi.ebay.com/New-black-wet-look- ... 414c88e4c7). I've done some research and I think that this "wet look" lycra looks good - it's not too shiny. I've found also another goodlooking "wet" lycra but it's only 2 way stretch: http://cgi.ebay.com/Black-wet-look-stre ... 5d2cd43325 :( so I pressume that it's better to have more stretchy fabric... What do you think? What would those of you who have some experience with jumpsuits sewing recommend?

I'd be very grateful for some advice :)

The upholstery stuff might be to think, you could always email the seller on eBay and ask what the thickness compares to. The "wet look foil" would work, to bad the other "wet look" one is only 2-way I think that one looks the best. But I think everyone who does body-suit costumes would say that having a 4-way stretch fabric is the most comfortable.

Oops! I'm sorry, I didn't spot your question post... it snuck past me!

I don't advise the upholstry fabric. I've found that their idea of "stretch" on that kind of fabric isn't nearly enough for clothing. You won't be able to bend your knees or sit down! The same thing goes for the 2-way stretch fabric, it will be too binding (even though it looks really good.) The 4-way stretch fabric is too glossy (like my jumpsuit), but it would most likely be the most wearable fabric of the lot.

Pam :-)

Okay since we were discussing fabric on here again I got samples of some of the selection of black 4-way stretch material from the Spandex House and did some test sewing with it. (i.e the piping and leg quilting). I was wondering mainly from Pam if the Matte material would get me accepted as Cannon/Formal since the standards read "Medium-sheen" for the suit? Here are a few pictures of the test sewing:

With Flash

DSCN0586.jpg

Without Flash

DSCN0587.jpg

Hi,

The 501st doesn't have a "formal/informal" distinction, but I personally think the matte vinyl is just as good as, if not better than the super glossy stuff that many of us have used. (I have a box of the matte vinyl sitting in my closet, waiting to be used when I finally get around to sewing a new jumpsuit. The waistline seams are starting to give way on the sides of my glossy one.)

I came across another potential source for jumpsuit fabric. Not sure if it's a true black, though... the photo makes it look a bit gray. I'd definitely recommend getting a sample before purchasing enough for a jumpsuit!

http://maryjos.com/fabrics/black-pleath ... etch-vinyl