• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

MOTHER TALZIN WIP

romero4444

1.jpg

Hi everyone, my wife is looking to make a first in legion costume of Mother Talzin from the Clone Wars, and I need guidance. desperately.

We want to incorporate the flowing arched robes that sprout from her back, maybe have them move on their own when she troops.....but I don't know much about fabric work, and this looks like a tough costume to build...HELP! I will post the build from start to finish here but could use as much wisdom as you guys can spare.

Thanks,

Andy Romero

DZ-7244

Garrison Membership Liaison

Dune Sea Garrison

• Like 1

first, Welcome to the Flagship! you've come to the right place to ask about this costume. There are a couple of ladies building some of the "generic" nightsisters and you might check out their WIP threads. This will be an interesting build as parts of the costume appear to move on their own (Dave did make a mention of this in the panel at CV) This can probably be accomplished with light flowy fabrics like silk or rayon. When you start fabric shopping have a couple of pics of her printed out so you can match color/texture. When your at the store feel the fabrics and read the washing instructions. I've had guys come to me with fabrics they want me to make things for them and they've gotten something completely worthless for the job. Don't be afraid to ask the sales ladies opinions on the fabrics you pick, that's what they are there for. :mrgreen:

We'll probably move this thread down to the appropriate forum as it's more of a WIP/question thread than anything else and so we can keep all the TCW Nightsister discussions together

(^_^) Katie

Grrr, I can't find an example to show you but I know how to do this because I've seen it before...

Essentially, in each one you would have 2 long stretched out corkscrews, each held in a small slowly spinning motor. You run these through a "bag" of fabric (2 sides, stitched closed on all 3 showing edges) and when the motor is running it has a rippling effect.

I wish I could show you with a link online of what I'm talking about but I can't find anything, sorry.

I think I know what you mean, kind of what I had in mind. :) Maybe some small RC motors?

OK, so some background info. Lisa is my wife's name and she doesn't use forums, although she is in the Mando Mercs with me. Lol We live in Central Phoenix, AZ. and there are 4 or 5 good fabric stores in town for us to pick from. She and one of the other garrison members will probably do the sewing, since I know Bupkis....Here she is in her Mando at an event:

2011-07-23113753.jpg

She is the one in blue with the pistols. Me on the left.

k, I uploaded a proof of concept video for you:

let me know if that helps!

good idea! I'd get with someone who can do a small intermittent motor, cause the things didn't wave at a constant speed, and then adding a loose flowy fabric will be awesome

That is definitely what I had in mind, maybe with two wires that would intertwine and make the fabric seem to have a mind of it's own. Oh man, I'm worried and excited all at the same time, lol. I would love to be able to premiere this at CIV, but I'm going to take my time.

Oh man, I'm worried and excited all at the same time, lol.

Every time I feel that way about a new costume, it turns out to be one of my favorites when it's all done. There's something about working on costumes that are really cool but also intimidating that makes you rise to the challenge, and make something that you can be very proud of. Don't give up, and have fun experimenting!

Pam :-)

Thanks Pam, I appreciate it. One more question about fabric, I see that I will have to make a design on her ?tabards?, how does one go about making a design in the real world from a drawing? Do I need maybe a darker red material sewn onto them, cut to the design or should it be hand painted? :oops: Just wondering what you all think, thanks.

2-1.jpg

sometimes you can find fabrics that already have the design your looking at, so start searching fabric sites, many of them can be searched by color, but sometimes you just have to paint it on, I like this for painting on fabric, they make a huge variety of colors and this paint is washable, dry cleanable and won't crack like puff paints once it's heat set (you'll need an iron for that part)

(^_^) Katie

I need to make some 3D renders of the character with her arms outstretched from all sides. I just don't have the skill required on the computer to do this. Does anyone out there think they could help? I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

Andy

:lol: Oh believe me, I did that already. I was hoping that the blue ray will have a 360 turnaround of the character, but that doesn't come out until Oct. I think, and we are going to go fabric shopping this weekend. I am going to take your advice and have the pictures with me when we go for sure. Just thought it might be a good thing to have a nice "4 corner" view of the costume to work from.

you've got the colors right, now it's just a matter of picking which one that moves the way you want it to, the strech velvet and they lycra should be nice and flowy while the cottons will be slightly stiffer.

^_^ Katie

Lisa and I liked the lycra and velvet, I think they will both move well, and we will be able to animate it better than the cotton or poplin. We may need to wait until the blue ray comes out to look at the episodes frame by frame, because some of these pics make it look like different shades of red, it worries me a bit.

you can achieve different shading on fabric with fabric paint http://www.dickblick.com/products/jacqu ... le-colors/ Before you do the sewing (and after you've cut your pieces out) take a sponge and sponge on the shade with the different shades of fabric paint (they are also fully mixable so you can do custom colors as well) follow the setting directions and you should be good to go for the red shading of the fabric (and this stuff is machine was and dry-cleanable after you get it set). You may also want to look at gauze fabrics and other lighter weight fabrics for the flowy parts, you can get them dyed to match your other stuff, something for you to consider.

good luck with your progress!

^_^ Katie

That sounds great, can I achieve the brown that is on the top of her arms with this fabric paint, or do you think I need to sew the brown to the red? It will need to match the brown on the body underneath the cross pieces over her chest and abs. I will definitely use the paint to make the designs on her outer robes.

So……after downloading one of the episodes off itunes from that storyline, watching it in slow-mo, backwards and forwards, etc., etc., Lol, I have come up with an idea of where I want the different fabrics to be used on each area. The brown on her chest, abs and back is armor plating that I will probably do in ABS or sentra I have laying around here at work. Also unseen in this photo is a huge train that comes out from under the sides of her girth belt.

Here is the photo with my ideas for fabric. What do you guys think? We are going to go back to the fabric store this weekend and get the supplies and possibly our first sewing machine...

talzin2a.jpg

With a link from a friend, I found instructions for a Las Vegas showgirl headdress that I think will work. I could not find any buckram, the stiff material needed for the basis of the headdress, so I ordered some online, along with a wedding dress pattern with a medium length train that looks fairly close the the length you can see on the third episode from that storyline. As we wait, I make a rotating display stand for the headdress that I can also use to work on. We then went back the the fabric store and purchased the material needed for the costume.

2011-09-05154549.jpg

Showgirl Link:

http://www.lynnmcmasters.com/

good idea with the show girl head dress angle! the idea for the dress pattern you have is what I do for costume pieces ^_^ I'm looking forward to your progress on this

^_^ Katie