• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Jes Gistang Female Trooper

Lady K

After seeing this new Gentle Giant figure I am very interested in seeing this female Stormtrooper armor become cannon.

http://www.jediinsider.com/index.php?ca ... emid=13483

I believe there are actually 5 references for it.

Star Wars: Legacy 4: Noob - Comic Book

Hasbro Star Wars: The Legacy Collection (Pack: Joker Squad) - Action Figure

Legacy Era Campaign Guide - RPG Guide

The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia

Gentle Giant Female Stormtrooper Statue

We have been discussing this on my garrison boards and there are several of us interested in making this costume. Is there any chance for this to see the light of 501st approval?

Hiya,

I would recommend checking the White Armor Stormtrooper Detachment forums... they might already be discussing this possilibity, since that detachment covers stormtroopers. (Yes, it's EU, but she's still a trooper!)

Check it out, and if they're not already discussing it, go ahead and ask!

http://www.whitearmor.net/

Good luck,

Pam :-)

Guest Stiltlady

Has any progress been made on this topic since April?

The more I look at the figure from Gentle Giant, the more I would love to see this in reality!

I've seen 2 versions of the hair for this particular gal, corn row braids and loose.

I'm gonna guess that her short loose hair is what it looks like when not in the braids.

I think my hubby's going into 501st heaven that I'm actually looking into getting my own armor :lol::roll:

Thanks for any help & info ladies. Am also signing up on White Armor as suggested.

Thanks for the tip Pam, as always you are amazing.

post-973-142759261397_thumb.jpg

Guest Stiltlady

Looked on the White Armor page - it looks like they are coming very close to having CRL finished.

They said it looks as though there is enough reference material.

One guy has already started sculpting chest armor mold for his wife.

Another is currently creating the shoes.

Guest Stiltlady

The discussion over on WA seems to think the legs and a few other portions look a bit Clone like.

However when I posted the pics on the Clones dettachment and asked them to take a look, they said no.

Getting a disctinct impression that this may end up being a build from scratch project - :roll:

Dang, was hoping to save some money & time but want it to be done right!

Guest Stiltlady

sent a message to Dark Horse today in hopes of contacting an Artist that worked on Jes.

Am hoping to get clarification on armor details straight from those that drew it. Hope to hearr back soon. Will keep ya'll posted.

The legs are definitely a custom design, not quite clone, not quite TK. I've "grown up" around both, so to speak, and I'm familiar with their looks. This doesn't match either!

The overall shape seems to reflect both styles, with the seamless look of clone armor rather than the bold front seams of the TK. The knees are completely unique; I can't think of any other armor that has knees hanging by short straps from the thigh armor. TK knees are very different, with the strap across the right knee and an attached plate on the left. Clone armor has "floating" knee pieces, but they're attached to a strap that goes around the knee, rather than hanging from the thighs. The closest "base" armor would be clone, but it might be too different because clone armor has triangular areas on the front, which hers doesn't have. The lower legs seems quite close to clone armor, though I don't see the spoon in the back, so you'd need another way to close the armor.

Honestly, this whole thing would need to be a custom sculpt. The chest armor is much more boxy than standard TK chest armor, and more akin to clone armor in that respect, even though the base design is TK. The ab armor plate has an inward curve that standard armor doesn't have, looking rather like a corset. The forearm armor has a high point at the elbows that I don't think is on the standard TK armor. The boots are also quite different from TK boots, which tend to have flat soles.

Is the detonator clipped on top of the belt in the back, instead of hanging on the belt?

Guest Stiltlady

Yes it does look like the detonator is attached on the top of the belt vs from the bottom.

I have a few friends that are experienced in sculpting and casing that said they will try to help me. The fact they also love SW and would love to see an approved gal sparked comments of " About damn time" :mrgreen: That's my guys.

Do you think that a body casting would help the sculpting to go quicker?

That way we can scuplt directly on "my body" to make sure this fits as snug and exact as possible.

I saw that somebody made armor with fiberglass......how do you prevent it from being a hazard? Fiberrglass scrathes and all......

How does it compare to ABS?

Pam most of these are posed to you and your expertiese :lol:

But any information is always welcome.

Some of the armor makers sculpt the armor over a body cast, while others sculpt it in foam and never use a body cast. It depends entirely on the style of sculpting that you want to use, and the accuracy of shape that you want to get. Working from a body cast will gve you the best fit between sections of the armor, and make sure that it's a good fit once it's done.... though I've also seen some really amazing armor come out of big blocks of foam that never touched a lifecast.

I cast armor pieces in fiberglass all the time. It's prickly when it comes out of the mold, but a bit of edge trimming with the belt sander and a go-over with a mouse sander on the back surfaces take care of that problem. However, I only use it for sections of armor, not for full-body suits. Trust me when I say that you do NOT want to make a full body suit out of fiberglass. Not unless you want to feel like you're weightlifting with every step you take. It's heavy, and will wear you out very quickly. It's much better to make vacuforming bucks, and vac the armor with styrene or ABS. In general styrene is easier to use for the basic garage build, but you have to paint it. ABS doesn't have to be painted, but it's a much more sensitive material, and things like moisture can cause problems.

Hope that helps a bit,

Guest Stiltlady

As always you are a tresure trove of usefull info!

I have been very lucky to have worked with the owner of this company for several years now.

http://www.fxmakeup.com/About_Us.html

I am hoping to "bribe" him into helping me.

I will keep you all posted.

The next month and a half are insanely busy for all performers, makeup artists, costumers, and prop makers here in Orlando.....Halloween events out the ying yang. So I will have to wait until November to dive into this.

Another friend of mine teaches lifecasting and said that if I will stand still as a teaching tool, I can then buy my lifecast at a major discount after the class. :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

Again I love knowing uber talented people, especially since I have issues with working with paly-doh.

Guest Stiltlady

She FINALLY arrived today!!!!!!!! :lol:

did the happy dance all over the place.

will post close up photos & various angles for scrutiny.

what should we look at / discuss 1st?

let me know & those will be the 1st thing photographed & posted

Guest Stiltlady

Oy has it been a busy year already!

Is anybody else still watching this board?

I am wanting to begin the creation process on Jes but would like to discuss minute' details before I do.

I looked at this a while back for a friend of mine and we decided the best way forwards was .... TK arms (bells right down to handplates) And the codpiece is very TK'ish, for the legs we looked at ANH tk without the finishing strips or knees added (maybe RS kit as its close to original so quite small), the knee plates wouldve been clone as was the belt front... thats as far as it's got for now :D

The Legacy trooper armour had its best interpretation in issue 4 of the series.

Legacy4cover.jpg

c0056197_4da86f2bd8d7b.png

Hasbro based theirs on a standard stormtrooper. I would dismiss it as reference.

sweufemtrooper1.jpg

I recommend for folk who are serious about a referenced character to pick up the actual references physically, never to be limited to what can be found on the Internet.

It may be of interest to note that the current Disney 3-D scan a personal figure offers a female trooper body which appears based on the Gentle Giant interpretation of the Legacy character.

998444_10201894559952460_1535546285_n.jpg

Be well,

Thomas

Well, there's apparently about 60 sets of armor out in the wild now that Kev has produced (same guy who does the approvable Clone armor) and there seems to be very little - read: no - movement on the CRL for Jes Gistang Joker Squad armor.

Does the Flagship Eclipse become our ladies' champion?

The issue is that we're not making any progress over there, whatsoever. I don't see why the character cannot be explored over here.

I mean, if that was applicable across the board, the MEPD wouldn't exist.