• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

PAX, review and recipes

Guest mdb

I recently completed a Shakk Ti, The Force Unleashed costume:

5539084754_bb659da00d_m.jpg 5539087660_ddcf267b2b_m.jpg5538508861_251997d20c_m.jpg

As you can see there is a lot of paint involved. A lot. More than you see in fact as I had to account for a breeze and other costume malfunctions ;)

If I lived anywhere else this might have been a task for Reel Creations. Sadly where I live it is impossible to procure due to customs and no major sellers importing it. The high IA content means it is classed as a hazardous good. I am going to be poking Customs to ask about it so I hope to get good news soon :)

Anyway. I was pushed into using Kryolan pan cake which is really nice but totally unauitable for a crowded event where the vast majority of attendees were not costumers and had no idea of body make up and how to avoid smears ;) So I opted for the only other near bullet proof paint I knew about and could apply myself and incidentally have it in checked in luggage... International travel and compressors for airbrushes or AA make up.. not going to happen ;)

So. PAX it is.

What is PAX?

PAX was developed by Dick Smith and was used initially as a make up in Tootsie but is largely now used for painting latex prosthetics. It is very useful for painting slip cast latex (as my Shaak Ti pieces are).

PAX is an acrony for the ingredients used in this first recipe: Prosthetic Aide and Liquitex in a 1:1 mix

That is as simple as it needs to be. However each paint application requires different properties so the paint can be thinned in a variety of ways. Water is the simplest, but I have used Ben Nye Liquiset as well.

PA is an acrylic prosthetic glue and as such it works extremely well with artists acrylic paint.

Alternative recipes:

I first used PAX sans the PA ;) Very few people believe me that I was able to have a long lasting paint that didn't rub off or smear that was simply artists acrylic paint and moisturiser. In part this is because I happened into the one brand that really does work: Johnson and Johnson's Clean and Clear. This is non oily which is probably what make sit work.

http://costumes.glittersweet.com/recrea ... adriel.htm

Not the greatest photos but it gives you an idea. That is a gelatin ear by the way ;) Best appliance material ever but quite heavy. And does degrade in a matter of weeks.

Since then I have dabbled with PA and love to use it to glue appliances. I recommend it over spirit gum as it does resist sweat much better. If you start with dry skin it will last a very long time.

I also thought to test Liquiset as it also is an acrylic base and so mixes very readily with both PA and artists acrylic paint.

Water, PA, liquiset and even IA can be mixed to thin or thicken the PA. You can even add cabosil to thicken and also to blend latex edges to the skin.

You can also mix in pigment powder or mica powders such as are used to mix in with resins or paints or make up. Pure pigment or mica powders unless especially made for the face.

Proportions are another aspect to think about. 1:1 PA:X is a rather heavy paint and essentially a glue. I prefer a mix closer to 1:2:2 PA:X:liquiset Or a little less. Even this is very resistant to budging and definitely quite a lot like wearing glue...

This ratio is also quite transparent so does require care when applying.

Setting:

It's not really setting as the paint cures by itself and won't come off but it does need powdering to de-tack the surface. This though will come off with wear and with sweat I found.

Removing:

Get Isopropyl Myrstate, really really do. But do not let it anywhere near you while painting or wearing as one drop can affect a large area of paint and cause it to become gummy and transfer to everything.

IM is an oily liquid and as such requires a lot of soap to deactivate it (lipids and soaps, fun chemistry).

Otherwise the only really effective way to remove it is with lots of hot water. The heat helps soften it and also makes you perspire to help lift it from underneath. It does need to be very hot. And it takes many showers.

Pros:

Budgeproof: it takes a lot of pressure and a rough surface to pull this from the skin

Does not stain: the pigment is bound int he acrylic base. (Unless you use IM which breaks down the bonds and leaves the pigment free)

Non-Toxic: there are only a few toxic pigments and they are rarely found in child friendly paints! But do check.

Easy to apply: just a brush. A nice wide brush and especially one shaped like a foundation brush.

Easy to clean up: before curing it just needs water and a cloth to clean up. So have a jar of water on hand to refresh the brush every so often. Two brushes is best.

Non Flammable: really important for those of us who have to travel by plane. I get regularly stopped in Aus at security for a swipe of the chemical wand and no way do I want my luggage confiscated with a few grand worth of costume in it!

Relatively cheap: if you buy paint already you usually have enough on hand. PA is expensive here (near double of that in Aus) but it still goes far. One full body is about 150ml total so about 50-75ml PA an application.

New paint is cheap and I like to buy colours that will mix into a good spectrum of colours.

Non-solvent: this means you can get close to eyes and mouth and not worry about skin reacting to a vapour.

No over spray: Good for applying in an hotel as you do not need to worry about overspray. The paint is also not too runny so it won't drip too much.

Cons:

Not suitable for airbrushing: there are brands that sell pre-formulated PAX that do work with an air brush however.

The texture: the paint is essentially a glue which once stretched will leave little wrinkles. Fine for general photography but you probably will want to use it mainly on limbs and torso rather than face and upper chest. The less PA the less of an issue this is. So I generally use PAX for my body and use just liquiset and paint with a tiny hint of PA for face.

Application can be slow: you do need to be patient and allow layers to dry! Otherwise the new paint will lift off the under layer and you will get clumps. Keep an hair dryer on hand with a diffuser to help the process if you have a time crunch.

Doesn't blend: Well it does if you are very careful but it is more of a stipple kind of blend than an airbrush kind of blend. It's is best for large areas of single colour. It does though work as a base for most make up.

It's like a second skin: literally. It is a bit creepy. Not an issue for most but I started to feel a little ill.

Removal is hard: either use IM and have a lot of discardable/bulk washable cloths around or be prepared for a lot of hot showers and a facecloth (this will not be stained but the paint will wind up like grains in the shower floor and cloth.

Overall given my circumstances and alternatives the pros far outweighed the cons.

Guest Sakara

You might want to add another con - because it is a glue it doesnt let the skin breathe. Probably another reason why you felt a little claustrophobic.

It is a great option though, must admit. Been dabbling with it since i read your method of making it.I must have looked odd with various blue streaks on my face and arms (different streaks were different mixes and such for a Mass effect character's skin colour), glad i didnt have to answer the door at any time! :lol:

I have to remind myself to be careful with this too: Skin doesn't breathe ;) It does perspire though for heat maintenance. You still sweat in things like latex etc. but as the cooling effect is when the sweat evaporates you lose that ability to a degree. How great a degree and how much you feel it is an individual thing.

I didn't have an issue with it aside from my claustrophobia which is something I have dealt with for 19 years or so ;) Without going too far into it I am find if I can see an exit or have a time limit. But being stuck at the venue and the hotel being an hour drive away made me a tad anxious.

I do want to try another paint type but suspect it may be the same for anything that leaves a film. I get that way sometimes with moisturiser ;)

So yeah, if you find make up annoying this definitely pushes the limit!