• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Darth Maladi Standards Discussion

Twi'lek Pam

Costume Components:

1. Black Hair: Waist length black hair is pulled into a high ponytail near the top of the head.

normal_Picture23.jpg

2. Ponytail Wraps: A pair of metallic silver wraps are worn on the ponytail. One is worn near the top of the head. This wrap is used to make the ponytail stand high away from the head. The second wrap is worn further down the ponytail, near the back of the head.

3. Headpiece: A metallic silver headpiece is worn over the forehead. It is wide on top, covering both the forehead and the top of the head, and then it narrows as it drapes down to frame the sides of the face. The headpiece extends over the top of the ears, and may extend further around the back of the head. The headpiece is made of a thick, sturdy material, and it is covered by a three dimensional circular pattern as well as a raised border around the outer edges.

normal_Picture7-1.jpg

normal_Picture10-1.jpg

4. Body Paint: All exposed skin is painted red. Black Sith tattoo patterns are painted on the face and arms. These tattoos include a pair of circles on the forehead, an outline with three points around each eye, and a pair of small triangles on each cheekbone. They also include a smaller circle painted on the chin, and a black rectangle painted at the center of the bottom lip. Two pairs of X shaped markings are located on the upper arms. Up to three pointed tiger stripe lines may be visible on the forearms, just above the forearm wraps.

normal_Picture28.jpg

normal_Picture7.jpg

5. Contacts: Special effects contacts in shades of red, yellow, and orange are worn to give the illusion of Sith eyes.

While considered an essential part of this character, contact lenses are not required for 501st acceptance. All persons wishing to utilize contact lenses are encouraged to first see their optometrist for a fitting.

6. Leather Wrap Shirt: An outer shirt made of black leather or leatherette is worn in a crossover style. Each shoulder wrap is made of three joined strips of material. The left side crosses over the right side in the front, and the right side crosses over the left in the back. The wraps are wide, and are stiff enough to extend out over the shoulders without drooping. Additional layers of black leather or leatherette are worn wrapped horizontally around the waist to keep the upper wraps in place.

normal_Picture26.jpg

normal_Picture19-1.jpg

7. Inner Shirt: A sleeveless shirt is worn under the leather wraps. The inner shirt may be sewn from black fabric, leather, or leatherette. The shirt has very large arm holes, and includes a high ribbed collar that fits snugly against the neck. Leather or leatherette is used for the ribbed collar, and the opening is located in the back.

Picture15-1.jpg

normal_Picture18.jpg

8. Collar: A high black leather or leatherette collar is worn over the ribbed collar of the inner shirt. This collar has an opening in the front, and the front edges of the collar are slightly rounded. The collar may be attached to the inner shirt or the outer wraps.

normal_Picture20-1.jpg

9. Forearm Wraps: Black leather or leatherette wraps are worn around the wrists and forearms. The wraps may include a pointed extension that covers the back of the hand.

normal_Picture5.jpg

10. Silver Hip Wrap: A metallic silver wrap is worn over the hips. It is narrow at the front, and then it becomes much wider as it goes around the sides and back. The wrap is made of a thick, sturdy material, and may be covered by a three dimensional circular pattern similar to the design found on the headpiece. A raised border goes fully around the outer edges.

normal_Picture18.jpg

11. Belt: A black leather belt is worn over the silver wrap. This belt is approximately 7 cm wide. A large, three dimensional ring is located at the front. This ring is painted red, and includes four black straps that secure it to the belt.

normal_Picture11-1.jpg

12. Skirt: The black skirt is floor length. The skirt is made with an A-Line pattern, and it is made with enough fabric to give a draped, flowing silhouette.

Picture15.jpg

13. Boots: Plain black boots are worn.

Costume Accessories:

14. Ear Prosthetics: Red painted prosthetics are worn to give the ears a pointed appearance.

15. Lightsaber:

490px-ShadoMaladiDuel.jpg

Hello Flagship,

With a recent Darth Maladi applicant, that we feel needs a bit of work to achieve legion standards,

those of us on the LMO team have been discussing this character and its proper representation.

We've come to some conclusions, and at the same time, still have some open questions.

I would like to re-post the same observations/ questions that we have been discussing, and gather the input of the Detachment.

I'll start with a basic question.

Do we absolutely know that this is not hard armor?

(Similar to the pauldron/ shoulder found on medieval Knights in armor)

Armor01a_zps8ca79085.jpg

I thought it would be obvious just by looking at the photos, but the answer doesn't really jump off the page.

I ask this because the references show what "could be" solid, layered pieces of hard armor.

All smooth... all shiny.

I've looked, but can't seem to find an image that actually shows a wrinkle:

Armor01b_zps64ae0185.jpg

Large Image:

http://ts826.midwestgarrison.com/Maladi/Armor01b.jpg

If it is considered leather, the individual pieces are quite wide, very stiff, bulky, and highly polished.

Is there any written narration or dialog, within the graphic novels, that describe her armor?

* I know the popular belief is that the armor is leather, and I'm cool with that.

I'm just wondering if the actual word "leather" is written somewhere.

(comics or otherwise)

This is the closest written reference I've been able to find.

From the starwars.wikia:

Artist Jan Duursema redesigned Darth Maladi after deciding that her initial illustration was too "sexy," and thus too much like Darth Talon.

The redesigned Darth Maladi was meant to look more tightly wound; a design inspired by one of Dermot Power's original sketches, that would later become

the character Asajj Ventress. In an online interview on TheForce.Net, Duursema jokingly agreed that Maladi was supposed to be a bit "emo."

* For the record, we believe that using thick leather pieces, to create the armor, appears to be the way to go.

But, I would like to hear the opinions of the members here.

** Heavy leather also means that the two approved Maladi's are somewhat incorrect.

Good afternoon Damian,

In response to your question I called Jan Duursema at home just now.

23334_557789180925049_1771692046_n.jpg

Darth Maladi, Star Wars: Legacy

Costumed by Nyna Nothung (SL-3937)

Pride of German Garrison

Jan responded that the Darth Maladi’s top is intended to be constructed of tooling leather or some like material that would felx and bend with the wearer. As the character’s creator and a knowledgable costume maker herself, I would suggest deference to Jan as the authority on this matter.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and asking our Detachment for input. Your consideration is appreciated greatly.

Be well,

Thomas

- The next item is the headpiece w/ hair ornaments.

* This is where I believe the CRL begins to need some alteration.

To begin with, the rear of the headpiece is open and does not have a full wrap around band:

HeadpieceRear03_zpsfcef0045.jpg

Maladi appears to wear two different / distinct headpieces.

In addition, each of the two styles has its own set of hair ornaments (ponytail holders).

The first style headpiece is a "bulkier" design, with deep recessed angular shapes.

The lower extension has a curved backside and tapers to a point, much like a dagger blade.

Headpiece01_zpsf66eb421.jpg

This design includes two distinct ornaments.

The upper ponytail holder appears to be a black colored, tightly wrapped binding.

The lower ornament is made of a double sided "tube", similar in design to the headpiece.

OrnamentsforCrown01_zps0db91eac.jpg

This is the style that the legion's first accepted Maladi (SL 8235) used for her costume.

http://www.501st.com/members/displaymem ... tumeID=191

Real01_zps8f2032bb.jpg

* Although I believe the details on the two holders are a bit incorrect.

The upper uses banding strips that are too wide, while the lower could be a little more ornate, to better match the design of the headpiece.

----------------

The second headpiece style is a less aggressive design, consisting of interconnecting circles.

The lower extensions are not dagger shaped as is the first design, but rather end with an angled horizontal line and two sharp corners.

Headpiece02_zps07d5851e.jpg

This second design also includes its own two distinct ornaments.

The upper holder appears to be a series of stacked rings/ bands.

The lower ornament is made of a wrap/ binding.

OrnamentsforCrown02_zps50187d56.jpg

Some may argue that both ornaments are wrapped, but you can clearly see that the lines on the upper holder are straight and parallel with each other, and consist of individual stacked pieces (or perhaps a single piece with a stacked appearance/ design),

while the lower ornament has diagonal, intersecting lines which suggest a wrapped binding.

* The most difficult part of these ornaments is determining if one or both of them are a metallic silver color, matching the headpiece... or if they are meant to be colored black.

( I'm leaning toward a metallic silver color)

This is the style headpiece that our second approved Maladi (SL 3937) has decided upon:

http://www.501st.com/members/displaymem ... tumeID=191

Real02_zps50d3796d.jpg

* Although again, I believe at least one of her ornaments is incorrect.

In this case the upper one.

It appears that, to create her upper ponytail holder, she has used the one "oddball" image of Maladi that doesn't quite match the rest of the reference material.

Even though the below image appears many times, when searching for Maladi references, it is the one image that does not fit with the others.

I am calling it the "Marilyn Manson" Maladi :P :

Darth_Maladi.jpg

Although this image still shows the upper ornament as a series of "stacked rings" they appear to be very tall,and made of a black leather like material (you can find the same image on the net without so much glare/ reflection).

This is the one and only image which shows this type of set-up.

This image is also mismatch to the other references in other ways.

It shows the bulkier style headpiece, with the wrong style (stacked) upper ornament, the lower extension is flat like the circular design, yet has the more aggressive pattern, and it shows Maladi without pointed ears.

* Going with the idea that the "majority rules", I believe the above image should not be considered in the final look/ determination of the character.

* I'm not even sure where this images comes from as it is done in an artwork style that is different than any of the other reference sources. It might be a separate "cover art" drawing, or even a fan created image.

Hi, I'm from Spain I'm making my Darth Maladi and will greatly help their contributions and explanations, thanks for your clarifications.

I have some contributions and questions.

1. There would be a "third version" in which the headpiece and hip wrap have a loosely defined pattern drawing, it looks like hammered silver. Could be accepted this version?

Hammered headpiece

tse5.jpg

jgkq.jpg

2. You describe a "second version" of headpiece where design is less aggressive and consisting of interconnecting circles, Darth Maladi this version does not have pointed ears, then would not need to use them? The CRL says it is not mandatory to use.

Not have pointed ears

8wh2.jpg

In this "second version" How do you think should be the openwork pattern of the hip wrap? would be a plain design? would be a hammered design? or the same design as the headpiece (circles)?.

The CRL says about Hip Wrap: a raised border goes fully around the outer edges. But in this "second version" I think that it isn`t a relief, is the edge of the hip wrap because the hip hip wrap is thick.

On the other hand, the adornment of ponytail in some drawings I find colored black and on another I find color silver ...????

In this drawings I think that black but that might reflect the light

nb2d.jpg

I would need your opinion about all this, thanks a lot

best regards

Yolanda

DZ 66966

PS sorry for my poor English, English isn't my native language, I have tried to translate the best I can, I hope you understand

About Comics;

You will find differences in the details for the same character by different artists.

You will find differences in the details for the same character by the same artist over the course of a character’s development.

You will find differences in the details for the same character by the same artist, sometymes in the same comic, on the same page.

For 501st standards, we must look at the references as a whole to define a standard.

Darth Maladi is a Devaronian Female.

As a defining characteristic of the species Devorians all have pointed ears. Some artist forget this. 501st standards serve to remind artists of the canon in the Universe they portray.

Shri-Lan.jpg

devaronien_jedi.jpg

38280302008327257.jpg

For reference, male Devaronians also have horns;

Devaronian-Cantina.jpg

Please consider all drawings of Darth Maladi with human ears to be inaccurate and non canon for that aspect of her anatomy.

Be well,

Thomas

Ok thanks a lot for your reply and clarification. In the CRL says Darth Maladi pointed ears are optional accessories.

"Optional Accessories

Items below are optional costume accessories. These items are not required for approval, but if present must meet the guidelines below.

Ear Prosthetics

For 501st approval:

Red painted prosthetics are worn to give the ears a pointed appearance. "

Best regards,

Yolanda