• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

New Visas Finally!

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

YAY! I've been really, really wanting to make this costume for a couple of months and I finally got the fabric for the underdress! I'm so excited! I'll try to post some pictures of the fabric soon and in a month or so, I hope to have the underdress done :) .

About the overdress, what have you guys used? I know a pleather is sometimes used and a leather-look is desired, but could you get that with a vinyl? I want to make the overdress accurate to the point of acceptance, but this is going to be a first try, so I'm not thrilled about using really really expensive material for the first try.

So would a leather-look vinyl work?

Guest Anonymous

Yep, it could work, as long as the texture is right. My overdress is pleather - it's got a matte texture to it, so it works out okay. Shiny vinyl is out... but there's nothing inherently in vinyl that would make it unacceptable - it just depends on the context!

Guest Aysel

I got my pleather at Joann's and it's nice and soft and has great drape for pleather, it's also black on the backside (one of the things I had issues with finding the right stuff) mostly just finding the right pattern has been my issue with making this and remember to study Pam's tutorial, that thing has been great for the small issues I've run into

Guest Anonymous

Bought some boots off a lady in the RL for Visas :). They came today and I think they will work perfectly for the time being. Not sure if the square toe will be a problem, though.

DSCF2199.jpg

DSCF2198.jpg

And, as promised, pictures of the fabric I got for the underdress.

No flash indoors

DSCF2200.jpg

Flash indoors

DSCF2201.jpg

no flash outdoors in direct sunlight

DSCF2202.jpg

Guest Aysel

that looks a little red to me but it might be the amount of light on it and it could also be my monitor

Guest Anonymous

Yeah, looking at it again compared to what Pam used, it does look quite red in the pictures. *sigh* It's darker in person, but the way it's photographed is important. *sigh* And now I'm also nervous that the heels on the boots might be a bit tall :P .

Guest Aysel

you could try what I just did to change the color of my belt, I took Navy Blue dye and 3 minuets latter I had a better shade of belt, you might try taking a swatch and see if you can bring it to the right color

Guest Anonymous

That's a good idea. I have some blue dye (probably not enough for the whole thing) and I'm afraid the fabric is a synthic, so that will pose challenges, but to just deepen the color a little bit it should work.

Guest Aysel

my belt is 100% polyester and it worked just fine, I didn't even add salt to the dye bath, 3 mins and I was done. I was gonna start with 5 mins but at 2.5 mins I pulled it out and it was nearly there, surprised me too cause, hello, polyester. and if it does work you don't have to buy more fabric

Guest Anonymous

Wow! That is very encouraging. I don't really have time today to play with it dye, but maybe tomorrow afternoon I can play with it. And that is true, if I get it the right color with the dye, I don't have to go buy more fabric. Though, if I did have to go get more fabric, I can still use that fabric for something :) . Just not what I originally planned for it :) . The fabric would make a nice skirt and top trim, if it doesn't work for Visas :) .

Guest Anonymous

More progress! (but no pictures :( ) I went to Joann's again and got the fabric for the overdress and a suiting to make the mockup for the overdress, since I don't have enough of the right kind of fabric to make the mockup and I want the mockup to have the same kind of weight and flow as the over dress to judge it correctly. And while I was there, I found some fabric that was a better color for the underdress, so I bought it too :P . I got all sorts of fabric in my sewing workshop now :) .

And I made the underdress mockup today out of an old sheet. I'm really glad I made the mock up because, while I love the body of the dress, I detest the sleeves! They are horrible because they don't give me any movement at all. Very annoying to me, since I'm now at a point where I want unhindered movement (product of self defense class :) ), so having anything restrict my arms or legs in any way is not happening, at least right now :) . But my amazing mom gave me some tips on how to fix the sleeves so they are more comfortable (I love my mommy!). I'll try to post some pictures later!

Guest Anonymous

I know what you mean, about arm movement. What's the point of the costume if you can't have a proper lightsaber duel while wearing it?

Guest Anonymous

Exactly! I was able to fix it, though, so my movement is ALOT better. It's still a little constricting when moved certain ways, but it's WAY better then what it was. I think I'm happy with how the undress turned out, now I need to draft the pattern for the over dress :) . I have a pattern I'm going to use as the base, but the pattern is REALLY old and only comes in a size 12 :P . Oh I wish I were smaller :) . So it will take some time, but be worth it in the end :) .

Guest Anonymous

The new fabric I bought. I like it and I think it's almost right, other then being a tade shiny, even on the matte side. But if I'm not happy with it, I'll keep it as a dress (maybe take it apart and use the shiny side :) ) and use the other fabric I have that is very matte.

DSCF2241.jpg

Guest Anonymous

YAY Aysel! Thank you so much! I'm really glad that it looks like yours, since yours looks so good.

Made the pattern for the overdress today! But . . . I don't get to cut the overdress muslin till maybe Thursday :( . I might cut it out tonight and sew it up tomorrow night, but we shall see.

I'm thinking about possibly selling the pattern for the overdress and possibly the underdress, if there are people who would be interested in it.

Guest Anonymous

Been working on the pattern. The underdress I'm pretty happy with (the sleeves still need some work, though) and I'm VERY happy with how the overdress is turning out.

DSCF2337.jpg

DSCF2340-1.jpg

Right now both are just in sheet, (because sheet is cheap :P) but I'm planning now to cut out the overdress in a heavy weight fabric to test the pattern one more time. Then I'm going to cut it out of the pleather paint it.

What do you guys think? Anything I need to fix or add?

Guest Aysel

in the back, you see how the dress wants to fall together at the seams? if you take a little of the material out at that part it'll hang more smoothly (something I ran into with my outer dress) you'll know for sure if you need to take any of the bulk out when you do the heavier fabric. as for the over all shape it looks like you pretty much nailed it

Guest Anonymous

Yep, we pinned that and I marked it on the pattern :) . I got the thicker muslin fabric cut out and I'm thinking of cutting out the underdress fabric tomorrow (or tonight) and getting that cut out and ready to sew up :) .

I must say I really, really, really like this dress. The swish and fall of the skirts, oh I love it!

Guest Anonymous

Looking good! I agree with Aysel, I think the overskirt may be a little too full, but probably not by a huge amount.

It's fun seeing it in a flower print :)

Guest Anonymous

Yeah, when I took in it, there was at least 2 inches on each panel that got taken in. But the new muslin looks really good :) . Before I cut into the fabrics, though, I'm going to make the veil muslin. That will be fun :) .

Any tips on making the veil?

Guest Anonymous

I'm working on the muslin for my veil right now, it's being very tricky. But I think you'll have an easier time of it since the comic version hangs with folds in it, rather than having to be patterned into a smooth shape like the game version.

Guest Aysel

I've got lots of pics of how I did my veil in my thread, so check them out, also having some sort of stunt double (mind is a Styrofoam head) helps A LOT. If you have any specific questions just ask.

Guest Anonymous

thank you, Aysel. I'm going to look at your pictures next :) . I did three attempts of the face section of the veil and none of us are happy with any of them (us= me and my two sisters). I started making the face piece smaller, to hug more, and it ended up too small. ARGH! After snapping at my wonderful sisters, I decided that it wasn't worth it and I'm leaving it till my mom can get home and help me :) .

How did you do the face part of the veil? How did you figure out the pattern for that? The hanging part is easy, at least to me, because it's just a piece that hangs and either has folds or no folds. It really bugs me because I have no previous pattern I can adjust, I have to totally make it up. So I'm having troubles with it :) .

Guest Aysel

basically I measured from about where the seam should be on my head to the part on my nose that the veil should sit at, then I measured across my face (in a curve across my nose) for the bottom of where the veil should be at. it's kind of 3/4 moon shape you end up with and I think I did 5 or 6 different attempts before I had it mostly right and even then I had to resew it. to keep the face part of the veil having that fold I used fabric glue and glued the seam in place after I sewed it. basically it was a big pain in my behind but once I got it I was really happy with it, and at least you have help, I was just doing it myself and taking pictures to see what it looked like after I made an adjustment.