• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

fabric suggestions

Lady K

As long as it's the right color, you really have a lot of options for the blue fabric. I'd say to take your reference pictures to the fabric store, and do some exploring. Find something that has the right color and a nice drape. Fabrics that have some stretch will flow more and move with you, while stiff fabrics will have more of a tendency to balloon out and look, well, stiff. Please, please don't use something really shiny like satin. Satin should be reserved for prom dresses and bridesmaids, and not the Emperor's Hand! (I may never forgive my sister for making me wear a shiny pink dress in her wedding...)

Pam :-)

Yeah, I don't see Mara in satin or pink. Last October I changed my Slave Leia costume to pink for a convention where we were doing a breast cancer fund raiser. It was very successful and someone suggested that I make my Mara Jade costume go pink for the next year. I'm pretty sure I would be the Emperor's Hand next target if I dressed her in pink. :lol:

The fabric store choices here are terrible. All we have now is Hancocks and it's more crafts and decorator fabric than apparel fabric. I'm hoping I can find what I need without having to resort to online.

LOL!!! Yeah, that might get you targeted. :-D

A lot of online stores offer free or low cost swatch samples, so you can check out the fabric before spending a lot on enough for your costume. If you can't find something locally, that's always an option.

Good luck!

Pam :-)

Guest Anonymous

hey Lady K! not sure if you decided already on what fabric to use!!!

i made my decision about the fabric based on how i decided to make the dress.

I used as base a skating leotard pattern so everything had to be stretchy. i didn't want to use any zippers or anything so the best choice for me was actually spandex. it's nice, and stretchy but it's not heavy... so even the scarf got a nice flow!!!

i wasn't planning either on buying it online since i can quickly run to the spandex house in the city, but i found a color i liked on ebay. it wasn't expensive... so i risked it! i loved it!

=)

i did use the whole idea of the skating leotard, just changed the shape of the skirt and added snaps on the crotch! =)

and that means i got a nice, full coverage underwear, that matches the skirt!

=D

spandex is a great idea. I will have to get it online, though. I looked at Hancocks yesterday and left the store mad because of their terrible selection. I guess I'll have to make all costumes out of fleece or quilting fabric if I'm forced to use Hancocks. LOL

I found a dance pattern on EBay that I'm going to try to use for this costume. It's kinda low in the back, but we can't see the back of her dress anyway. I'm going to attempt to alter the pattern, but I feel like I'm too much of a novice sewer to be successful at altering a pattern that much. I'm planing to do a mock up first.

What skating leotard pattern did you use?

The pattern I found is McCall's M5136. I'm not sure if it's an older pattern or not, but I found it on EBay

Guest Anonymous

omgoodness! i am soooo sorry!!!

i am so bad at checking back posts because i honestly get lost in forums... and distracted with much stuff! i totally missed your answer and your question!!! soooo soooo sooo sorry!!

you are probably done with this but...

i used kwik sew 3502!

i find that kwik sew has the best leotard patterns out there. and i am also very new at sewing but i notices their patterns are very easy to combine. as long as u pick the same size of course hahahah

for example... i made the jumpsuit for snowbunny padme combining the bottom of the pattern i used for my mara, and the top of one of the leotards on the 3502!!

it worked out perfectly!!!!! =)

i also used this one for my Psylocke costume and it was not very hard to change the back!!!

again, i am soooo sorry!! if i forget to check posts again you can yell at me and smack me on the head!!!! =)

joann's here also don't have a good selection of spandex. although they do have some different kinds especially around halloween... but not a big selection of colors. just the basic ones, you know.

i really recommend spandex house. if i'm not mistaken, u send your order online, and then they call you to confirm.

last time, i actually did that cause i didn't have time to go to the city. =)