• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Mara Jade from Michigan (Done)

Mira_Darkstar

So far I have all the leather and metal bits to make the belt, holster and harness. I have the pattern on the way, the goggles and the gloves.

I am working on making clay models, molds, and then epoxy/resin pieces for the cloak clasp and the harness back piece right now.

I still need to purchase boots (I have some ideas already), the shin guards (no clue on these yet), all the fabric (would a black swimsuit lining work? has anyone tried that?), the blaster ( I am going to look while at Chicago ComicCon), and the lightsaber (I plan on have Jaygon-Gin make this for me).

Progress Pictures to follow.

Cloak Clasp Model made from Sculpty

CloakClasp.jpg

Back Harness Piece made from Sculpty

HarnessBack.jpg

Molding of pieces in progress *crosses fingers this works* Also shows the goggles.

P1030486.jpg

Main belt piece drying after manipulating it to lay right around my hips.

P1030488.jpg

It's looking good. You're a whole lot further than I am.

It doesn't seem like I am very far. I think my condo should be labeled a disaster zone with all the supplies and stuff strewn about.

More progress:

Took my first model out of it's mold, and thank goodness it worked.

P1030494.jpg

Finished dyeing, conditioning and buffing the main part of the belt.

P1030493.jpg

Ordered my boots, I am hoping they fit. Here is a picture from the website where ordered them.

NinaBoots.jpg

A few more progress pictures:

Belt mock-up after shaping the hanging piece.

P1030496.jpg

Hanging piece dyed.

P1030499.jpg

Casting the first cloak piece. (It has hardened btw)

P1030498.jpg

Also for the shin guards I was wondering what people thought of these two options?

http://www.amazon.com/Fieldsheer-Armadi ... 203&sr=8-4

or

http://www.amazon.com/Icon-Field-Armor- ... 223&sr=8-1

I kind of like the first linked ones better and I think they might work without much modification. Since I have no knowledge of working with "armor" type pieces and modifying them.

Okay second half of clasp mold worked as well.

P1030504.jpg

One or two coats of mold builder left to go for the back piece.

P1030506.jpg

Cloak clasp after casting it..... Didn't turn out like I wanted the back is the coloring I like with being shinny but the front looks to grainy.

Front:

P1030500.jpg

Back:

P1030503.jpg

Anyone have any ideas of why this happened to my cast? I am guessing either it is due to the mold, the epoxy mixing or how much of the metal powder I added.

Well I believe that the metallic dust combines when you mix it to look like metal but then as it cures the particles separate so I am just going to have to paint the clasps with my silver model paint. Also going to wait a few more days for the clasps to fully harden before gluing the clasp mechanism and the snaps to the back.

P1030507.jpg

P1030591.jpg

Also received my boots in the mail yesterday after I got back form the Chicago ComiCon. They fit thank goodness!

P1030590.jpg

On Friday I got the holes in the main belt and floating strip. So that the floating strip is connected by the hook on the buckle. I think I need to find some sort of rubber tip to put on it so that it does not scratch up the costume when wearing it.

P1030592.jpg

P1030517.jpg

Still need to figure out what I want to do about the blaster, I didn't have to much luck at ComiCon except I met the Wisconsin Mara and she got hers through someone on the Clone Troopers website.

So got a tiny bit farther on my project and ran into a few snags.

Two sides of the clasp cast and painted. Tried gluing the hooks on the back and that didn't work out to well so back to casting them in the resin, that seems to work better.

P1030594.jpg

Back piece mold is done, however it is to floppy so I went and got plaster to make a steady base for it.

P1030593.jpg

Plaster process following Pam's tutorial on the Flagship forums:

P1030595.jpg

P1030597.jpg

P1030599.jpg

Unfortunately it made my mold a little weird colored. ( I think it was just from the wet plaster)

P1030601.jpg

And last but not least my big snag I ran into are the shin-guards. I went to the store and looked at the Fox Racing ones and it seems like they are to short. Maybe my shins are to long? I am thinking I need to go the custom made route, anyone have any ideas there? I wouldn't know where to begin.

Wow haven't done an update to this in a while so hear goes.

So last you saw was the making of a sturdy base mold for the back harness piece, since then I have done a total of 3 castings of this to get it right. >_> Here is the most recent one and the one I will probably use.

P1030613.jpg

P1030608.jpg

P1030631.jpg

Also have two sets of my cloak clasp. The other half from my test one and then two more halves. I have aged/distressed/roughed up (can't find the work I am looking for) the test half and painted the rest. here is a pic of a comparison.

P1030630.jpg

Also got my raw silk and dye in the mail and have been doing a few test swatches for color. I have one done and the other is drying. It is not the same color as the picture, it is more of a olive/tan color irl. (RIT instructions for 1Tbs of Apple Green & 1tsp of Cocoa Brown & 1 Cup Water.) My second one was 2tsp of Cocoa Brown instead of the 1tsp.

P1030615.jpg

Comments, questions and tips always welcome!

Guest Anonymous

Think you are doing very good so far. If ya want, post your build over on the GLG site. We all like to see new stuff being worked on.

If you ever question something, just ask yourself "what would Pam do". And then see what she did with her costume.

It was nice to meet you at Mikes armor party, I'm Rob (guy working on Jango) also go by Kal on the GLG site.

Hope to see you again at an armor party some time this fall.

Think you are doing very good so far. If ya want, post your build over on the GLG site. We all like to see new stuff being worked on.

If you ever question something, just ask yourself "what would Pam do". And then see what she did with her costume.

It was nice to meet you at Mikes armor party, I'm Rob (guy working on Jango) also go by Kal on the GLG site.

Hope to see you again at an armor party some time this fall.

Ah yes I remember you at the armor party, you mentioned the steel wool to me. BTW that didn't work but it helps weather the just painted silver look. And yeah I think I will recreate this post there, I did it on the RL forum. When I get some more progress this weekend I will update here there and create on on the GL Garrison.

This weekend ended up being very productive.Here is where I am at right now:

Cowl: Done (Cream Gloves: 0%)

Cloak & Clasp: Done (Black Gloves: Done)

Goggles: 90% (Need to cover lenses to get black or the amber)

Body Suit: 5% (I have the pattern)

Harness: 90% (Need to cover back /w felt)

Belt & Floating Strap: 90% (need holster to fully attach Strap)

Holster: 0%

Gun & Lightsaber: 0%

Boots: Done

Shin Guards & Knee Pads: 0% (Waiting to see how Pam's molds go ^_^)

Okay now here are some more pictures of that I did this weekend:

3 Test swatches from dying. Top one is 1Tbs Apple Green & 1tsp Coca Brown, second one is 1Tbs AG & 2tbs CB and the third one is 1Tbs CB & 1tsp AG.

P1030643.jpg

The final formula for the cloak was 3 Gallons of warm water 3/4 cup of AG & 4Tbs CB.

P1030633.jpg

Here is the cowl, followed the look of Pam's from her tutorial.

DSCN0023.jpg

Shaping the harness straps

P1030638.jpg

The harness on pre-dying

P1030655.jpg

Dyed and showing how I lined up and cut excess leather for the top connection.

P1030659.jpg

Web belt buckles (middles piece and extra metal cut off by a member of the GLG at the armor party) & the strap of leather for underneath.

DSCN0022.jpg

Gluing the strips of leather

DSCN0029.jpg

Back harness piece weather and sealed

DSCN0011.jpg

Clasp weathered and sealed

DSCN0012.jpg

Clasp and Cloak

DSCN0027.jpg

Goggles and gloves

P1030642.jpg

Rubber nob for the buckle

P1030641.jpg

Now for some pictures of me wearing items!!!!!!! ^_^

P1030645.jpg

P1030651.jpg

Wow that was a lot of pictures. >_>

Guest Daritha

I dare to say, that it's a great start.

I'm right that the undersuit on the pictures is just a substitute for the leather one? However, I can see Mara taking form here. :)

I dare to say, that it's a great start.

I'm right that the undersuit on the pictures is just a substitute for the leather one? However, I can see Mara taking form here. :)

Yes it is a substitute, I just put on black leggings and a black cami so that the other pieces would be displayed on the right "background."

~Anna

Now dye your hair red! :D Looking great, Anna!

That will be soon.

I tried to get my hair dyed red for my CIV wearing of Mara... and the lady at the salon refused to dye it for me! (Probably because I told her that I would change it back to plain ol' brown as soon as I got home again. :-D)

I wanted to thank you for sharing your progress both here and on the Rebel Legion boards. I've been watching both threads with great appreciation for your costume, your sense of community, and your patience as you work on the details. Nicely done.

Pam :-)

Now dye your hair red! :D Looking great, Anna!

That will be soon.

I tried to get my hair dyed red for my CIV wearing of Mara... and the lady at the salon refused to dye it for me! (Probably because I told her that I would change it back to plain ol' brown as soon as I got home again. :-D)

I wanted to thank you for sharing your progress both here and on the Rebel Legion boards. I've been watching both threads with great appreciation for your costume, your sense of community, and your patience as you work on the details. Nicely done.

Pam :-)

Thanks Pam, coming from you it means a lot. BTW how did the first cast of the shin guards go?

Okay small update. Finished putting the felt on my harness, and found some white gloves to go with the cowl that will work until I find something better. Also met with the seamstress today and she will be starting the mock-up soon.

Harness finished with the felt backings.

DSCN0055.jpg

DSCN0056.jpg

Cowl with gloves to compare color.

DSCN0057.jpg

Gloves close-up, I removed the buttons but they have this weird zig zag in them with black thread...

DSCN0058.jpg

And a sneak peak for my next project.... The other Mara outfit. ^_^

DSCN0132.jpg

Woohoo! it arrived :) So glad to see the tunic getting good use :D And might I say looking much better on you ;)

And isn't it fun doing all those accessories yourself :) My workroom is currently in about three sections for working with fibreglass, paints and fabrics ;)

Woohoo! it arrived :) So glad to see the tunic getting good use :D And might I say looking much better on you ;)

And isn't it fun doing all those accessories yourself :) My workroom is currently in about three sections for working with fibreglass, paints and fabrics ;)

I was just going to PM you that it arrived but you saw this so that works. And yes the accessories are the best part. I'll wait to work on those after I get the first Mara finished. lol

Also the Padme stuff fits it is just a little on the tight side.

So after receiving the shinguards and knee pads from Pam, getting advice from people on how to properly paint them and an armor party here is what I have been able to accomplish in three days.

My sister completed the pouch I wanted to put on this belt in order to carry a camera.

DSCN0430.jpg

I wet sanded the shinguards with 800 grit automotive sandpaper to make the surface smoother.

DSCN0433.jpg

Then I applied one coat of rust colored Rustoleum Professional primer to the back sides.

DSCN0435.jpg

And two coats to the front sides.

DSCN0434.jpg

I did a little bit of wet sanding again before I did my first layer of the Gloss Black Rustoleum professional.

DSCN0449.jpg

Before I did the black coat I measured the knee pad in order to make the padding and elastic band for the inside. It measured 5 by 6 so I took 3 layers of a cotton/poly blend batting and sewed them between a two way stretch black material with the elastic somewhat int he middle.

DSCN0442.jpg

DSCN0443.jpg

DSCN0444.jpg

With the blaster I needed to sand off the "Made in China" and bondo some of the screw holes and the makers marks. (I forgot to take a picture of the bondo done) The blaster is now hanging in the garage with one coat of paint on it. Will be adding a second coat in 1/2 an hour.

DSCN0436.jpg

DSCN0439.jpg

DSCN0437.jpg

With my sisters help (Myshadowstar) and my moms two cents we came up with a suitable pattern and then I used cold water and high power magnets to form the leather around my gun.

DSCN0440.jpg

DSCN0441.jpg

Next I will start work on the body-suit mock-up with my mom's help, add another layer of gloss black to the shinguards tomorrow night and prep the holster leather for stitching and dyeing.