• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Latex bald cap and alcohol-based body paint

I'm wondering if anyone here has any experience in painting alchol-based body paint (eg. Reel Creations) over a latex bald cap?

I'm planning to wear my Asajj Ventress costume at CV and am looking at various body paint options for speed of application and longevity. My previous experince has only been using water-based paint airbrushed over a bald cap, and I'm wondering if alcohol-based paints are quicker to apply and resist cracking, flaking, etc.

I would greatly appreciate learning of your previous experience with this combination and any tips you may have to offer!

Guest Sakara

Ive seen alcohol based paint used on a latex cap with no issues at all. the cap had been stippled with Pax before hand, but thats all.

As far as I know it's only the Glatzen.. Glatsen caps that are an issue with alcohol activated make up :) You use alcohol to blend the edges as it dissolves the cap.

I recently made some head appliances from latex and I used some make up that had been mixed with isopropyl alcohol with no trouble on it :)

Guest Sakara

See i was told its acetone that you use to blend the edges on glatzan caps.i didnt have any problems with alcohol on my glatzan cap when i used it..and i cant stand latex caps lol...Maybe itse because i used pax over the top first anyway.

Great info ladies. Thank you for sharing!

My order for Reel Creations body paint is in, so hopefully it gets here within the next few weeks. I'm also going to do a trial run of Asajj makeup using a soap-based paint and see how that goes.

The big thing is finding something that sticks well to the bald cap but is also sweat-proof for the Orlando heat.

Thanks for the tip!

So I have a question for those in the know about pax:

I can make my own pax by adding a little artist's acrylic paint to Pros-Aide liquid adhesive, yes? I have some cadmium red I can use to get the red tone to cover my bald cap...

Guest Sakara

yep thats basically how you make Pax :D

take the smallest amount of red acrylic and build up. you want the pax looking a blotchy pink in the bottle as when the prosaide dries the red will come out more.

Small update: looks like my order for the Glazan cap, pros-aide and reel creations paint won't get here until I get back from C5. Needless to say I'm VERY disappointed. The saving grace is I'm going to another con at the end of August so I'll have everything for that. :roll:

Moving to plan B.

Editing to add:

Looks like the order will make it here just in time. Have had to order the Glatzan caps through another company, but looks like I should have everything by Friday. Planning to do some testing over the weekend YAY!!

Any thoughts on things that can be done in advance to prepare a bald cap for application to cut down on time? I was thinking of applying the pax to the bald cap about a week before using it but not sure if that might ruin the cap...