• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

COTF CRL update: No more blackout mask?

DarthCephalus

I noticed the CRL got an update for COTF Nihilus, but while the KOTOR version still mentions a form fitting blackout hood, the COTF version now expressly specifies a sculpted mask. I was wondering what the rationale for this was. Many form fitting masks are tight enough to still have visible lips, so if that is the sticking point, is there any way we can get an update that would allow them if this is the case? I like to try to stay in keeping with CRL, but this may be one of those times when I have to rely on being grandfathered in as I cannot wear the sculpted mask and have the costume remain practical.

Image result for cotf nihilus

cf12.jpg

It was changed because both references for the COTF version of Nihilus have very pronounced facial features that a blackout mask or balaclava do not and can not replicate. Many of the CRLs are changing because they were wrong or lacked vital details for accuracy of characters that has led to a slew of inaccuracies seen over many different costumes in the Legion.

DarthSkeletor is right in that this does not apply to already approved COTF Nihilus, but it is advised for the sake of accuracy to the costumes. We've been working very closely with the LMOs to bring the CRLs up to a level on par with other detachments in terms of quality, and this was one of the things that was added to support the decision.

I get that, but I still think it can be achieved without the mask. This is a blackout mask from my submission photos some time back. Discernible lips, chin and nose. The old CRL also left the option of black paint open as well. 23116703_1992019091012379_46709062741178

That is, by far, the only blackout mask photo I have seen submitted to actually have a lip. That's the problem. In the hundreds of photos submitted in the GML thread, none of them have facial features.

So, we have to go for what the majority are capable of replicating and successfully achieving, not a single person's ability to do it.

I just had a talk with some folks about the possibility of a blackout mask that has the features somehow INSIDE the mask. An idea that I came up with that would still allow the use of the blackout mask (I really do understand the bulkiness and heat issue) without losing the facial features would be to have a lower jaw only mask section inside the black out mask and then the white mask over the mask. The blackout mask could be attached to the lower mask section so that it sat naturally while being worn and expressed the facial features.

What do you think of this as an option? I'm not at all against finding "other" methods to create the necessary details, it is just finding one that doesn't compromise overall requirements. 

I think the difference might be that I specifically use a morph hood. They are designed to preserve features. A line that says "The face must be blacked out in such a way that the facial features are preserved . The costumer may accomplish this with a sculpted black mask, black makeup, or a tight fitting reinforced or non-reinforced blackout/morph hood, provided that the features (including the lips, nose, and jawline) are discernible in a way consistent with the visual references" would leave the costumer with a bit of freedom while still being pretty clear about the quality of the final result.

Edited by DarthCephalus

That goes back to what would actually be translated to correct details by the public (and some GMLs). Yours be surprised what the majority can translate (or ignore and try to get through with) when you offer several options.

Makeup would be a bad idea because then you have to tell them to worry about their hair. You can't have any hair showing, and how do you block the hair while wearing makeup?

We've already had an issue with applicants just ignoring the facial features aspect of balaclavas and morph suits/blackout masks, which is why the text was changed in the first place and removed blackout/mask not being the only piece. The problem was with the majority of applicants, and so it was decided that masks for features would be the accepted bit. 

Honestly, if people come to me during their application and say, "You know what? I think I shouldn't have to use a mask, because you can see my lips and nose through this blackout/morph mask" I would give it the go-ahead and tell the GML to thumbs up the costume. But, most applicants either won't care if it requires an under mask, or won't bother to try and keep details regardless of what options we have listed.

This next part I say from a completely factual POV and is in no way meant to be seen as mean or rude, but the bottom line is that 80-85% of applicants for all the major costumes in TFE are lazy and look to do the absolute bare minimum that will get a GML to approve them. Add to that the fact that a good handful of GMLs approve whatever they have come across their desks, and it turns into a landslide of sub-quality costumes. This is why I have been pushing so hard to get CRLs completed/updated since I started in 2017. Over 2 years of seeing photos submitted to the GML forums and even more approved without GMLs submitting the photos, and we have seen a large number of costumes that should not have been approved (not just with Nihilus). This isn't just a Detachment observation, but an LMO one, as well.

Since CRLs are usually the only point where we, the Detachment, have anything to say or offer in regards to details that need to be present to match the standards of the 501st in approvals, we write them to be as absolutely general and translatable to ensure that future costumes approved to the Legion adhere to the same level of quality in a blanket-coverage.

So, while I applaud you for personally being able to make the morph work and not require the mask to get the required facial details, I can tell you, with absolute certainty, that there are 25 other people who either can't or won't bother with matching what you have done if a morph mask is kept as an option.

2 hours ago, Mitthrawnuruodo said:

Well I now feel ashamed that my mask/hood/face area isn't 100% up to standards... off to search for upgrades!

Don't feel ashamed about it. Previous standards were hazy and lacked detail specifics! If you decide to go for more accurate details while currently being approved, great! Can't ask quality without offering quality CRLs.

• Like 1

I don’t recall the old CRL saying anything about preserving facial features. Did it?  If not, it is hard to fault them. Having text saying that the features are required for approval might sort the issue. I get what you are saying about makeup, but I stil think features are easy to preserve with the right morph hood as long as you know that you are supposed to be preserving them. 

6 hours ago, DarthCephalus said:

I don’t recall the old CRL saying anything about preserving facial features. Did it?  If not, it is hard to fault them. Having text saying that the features are required for approval might sort the issue. I get what you are saying about makeup, but I stil think features are easy to preserve with the right morph hood as long as you know that you are supposed to be preserving them. 

That's my point. It didn't call it out specifically, and so people didn't do it. Instead of looking at references and figuring things out for themselves, they rely on just the CRL. 

And again, I agree with your calling it out in morph masks, but you are putting way too much faith in folks actually following that part and not just leaving it as a morph mask regardless of features.