• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Visas Marr build help

Lord Darth Revan

What did you all use for the pinwheel pattern on the black dress? Meaning, did you all use a piece of plastic and cut the pattern into it or did you use something else for the pattern?

I used the same pattern for the inner dress and outer dress, and I made the inner dress first, in case modifications were needed. Then I put the pattern pieces on the black material and traced the cutting lines with a silver sharpie. (Make sure you reverse the pattern pieces, when necessary. Not much use for two left front sides in a dress.)

I used four rolls of Oracal 813 stencil material (12 inches by 20 feet each) and part of a roll of Oramask HT55 transfer tape. I cut the design using my Silhouette Cameo 3 vinyl cutter, weeded out the stencil material where I wanted the paint to be, then used the transfer tape to pick up the stencil material in preparation for applying it to the fabric.

Do not apply the stencil to the fabric until you are ready to paint! It will leave a residue if not removed within a few days.

You will need a lot of pressure to get the stencil vinyl to stick to the masking tape. I used a rolling pin. Then you will also need to rub the stencil material onto the fabric with the rolling pin and/or fingernails. It is not an easy nor fun process. 

Once the stencil material is applied, paint the material. I found that silver spray paint followed by a dusting of black spray paint worked best for me, but depending on your material, you might be able to use other painting methods.

As soon as the paint is dry, peel off the stencil material. Paint doesn’t usually absorb into the vinyl very well, so be very careful not to touch the dress fabric with your messy fingers during this process.  I used a metal soldering tool (similar to a thin screwdriver) to help cut down on the mess.

After giving the paint additional time to set and dry completely, cut out the dress and sew it together. 

Good luck!

On 7/26/2018 at 3:05 AM, Wraith said:

I used the same pattern for the inner dress and outer dress, and I made the inner dress first, in case modifications were needed. Then I put the pattern pieces on the black material and traced the cutting lines with a silver sharpie. (Make sure you reverse the pattern pieces, when necessary. Not much use for two left front sides in a dress.)

I used four rolls of Oracal 813 stencil material (12 inches by 20 feet each) and part of a roll of Oramask HT55 transfer tape. I cut the design using my Silhouette Cameo 3 vinyl cutter, weeded out the stencil material where I wanted the paint to be, then used the transfer tape to pick up the stencil material in preparation for applying it to the fabric.

Do not apply the stencil to the fabric until you are ready to paint! It will leave a residue if not removed within a few days.

You will need a lot of pressure to get the stencil vinyl to stick to the masking tape. I used a rolling pin. Then you will also need to rub the stencil material onto the fabric with the rolling pin and/or fingernails. It is not an easy nor fun process. 

Once the stencil material is applied, paint the material. I found that silver spray paint followed by a dusting of black spray paint worked best for me, but depending on your material, you might be able to use other painting methods.

As soon as the paint is dry, peel off the stencil material. Paint doesn’t usually absorb into the vinyl very well, so be very careful not to touch the dress fabric with your messy fingers during this process.  I used a metal soldering tool (similar to a thin screwdriver) to help cut down on the mess.

After giving the paint additional time to set and dry completely, cut out the dress and sew it together. 

Good luck!

HA! I was just about to post your build thread since you were just approved. 

Here it is in case there is anything extra that may be helpful:

http://www.theflagshipeclipse.com/forums/index.php?/topic/2466-visas-marr-in-germany/&page=2