• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Visas Marr build help

Lord Darth Revan

Hello all. I’m looking for help with a Visas Marr build for my girlfriend. We are looking for vendors and anything else anyone can provide. Any help would be great. 

Thanks!

On 6/9/2018 at 6:37 PM, Lord Darth Revan said:

Hello all. I’m looking for help with a Visas Marr build for my girlfriend. We are looking for vendors and anything else anyone can provide. Any help would be great. 

Thanks!

From what I can tell, everyone made their own stuff. The only thing you might be able to find from an existing vendor is the lightsaber hilt. The rest is included in folk's WIPs.

Not sure which version you are looking to do, but the galleries do have quite a bit of good references, including the actual pattern that you'll have to apply for the fabric. 

http://www.theflagshipeclipse.com/forums/index.php?/gallery/category/40-visas-marr-kotor-ii/

http://www.theflagshipeclipse.com/forums/index.php?/gallery/category/41-visas-marr-unseen-unheard/

I would 100% look through some of the WIPs to figure out sizes for the pattern and dimensions for the block of fabric that you'll need to apply it to so that you don't get weird seams through the patterns from having to Frankenstein more fabric on!

9 hours ago, Lord Darth Revan said:

What kind of material did you use for the burgundy under dress?

I used crepe-backed satin (matte side out) for one dress and Kona quilting cotton for another. It really just depends on what you can find in the right color, but just make sure it’s not shiny. 

I used some cotton like fabric (not pure cotton), light /medium material, and very nice to wear. I trooped outside with 32 ° Celsius, no clouds, and it was still OK. Since you have to use the same fabric for the veil, make sure you can see through it, and that the eyes are not visible from the outside. If the costume is worn for some hours, it's very useful to see as much as possible. Take some fabric which doesn't crease too much.

Edited by Daya

I used a nice cotton fabric, which is a bit to the heavy side for a nice drape and for the veil to stay in place in windy weather - I was so lucky to find a tulle in the same color, which I layed double to use before my eyes. With the golden hot iron on vinyl pattern on, you can´t tell there is a diffence in the fabric ;-) 

3 hours ago, Lord Darth Revan said:

is the entire vale a different material or just Part of it? That may be a dumb question. 

Some folks use a sheer fabric only on the part covered by the gold pattern to make it easier to see. The rest is the same fabric as the main dress.

If you do that route, make sure it is color/matched and you can't directly see the eyes.

On 6/21/2018 at 3:34 PM, Lord Darth Revan said:

is the entire vale a different material or just Part of it? That may be a dumb question. 

The veil is made with the same fabric as the inner dress.

With my KOTOR II version, I used two layers of color-matched chiffon (from Joann’s bridal section) with sheer black fusible interfacing under the gold trim covering my eyes. With the cotton fabric, I can see just as well through two layers of the cotton. 

Personally, I think she’s probably going to send up looking under the hem of the veil when she needs to actually see where she’s going.

19 hours ago, Lord Darth Revan said:

Is there a reason I can’t upload photos from my phone?

There’s a file size limit. I sometimes send the photo to myself via email, choosing a smaller file size in the process, then use that version instead of the original. 

Which version of the costume are you making? The KOTOR II version uses a dark red with purple undertones, while the Unseen, Unheard version uses dark burgundy. 

Symphony Broadcloth will work, but it will shrink a lot. Make sure you prewash it before starting the costume. I haven’t used the other fabric, but at that price point, I would assume it will shrink at least a little bit. Either way, I recommend buying 9-10 yards of fabric for the underdress and veil. It’s better to have a little extra than not enough, especially with dye lots changing from one bolt to the next.

Here are my fabrics, color corrected as much as possible from the original iPhone photo. (It’s insanely difficult to get the colors right!)

F7618E34-A8F1-44F1-84C3-E5CDD25F3C31.jpeg

1 hour ago, Lord Darth Revan said:

We are making the KOTOR 2 version. Can you see through the broad cloth?

To be honest, it’s no big deal if the fabric is thin. The only parts of the underdress that will be seen are the sleeves and the front of the left leg, where the outer dress is split. If the fabric is really thin, you’ll want to buy even more of it, so you can use two laters for the veil. Plan on at least a yard and a half for the veil, three yards if you need to line it.

Try to find a fabric that looks like a cherry red color for the KOTOR II version. As long as it’s not shiny, you should be okay.

My build thread (Visas Marr in Germany) has information you might find helpful for the construction aspects, including the pattern I used for the dress. Keep in mind that my costume has not been approved yet, so things may change after I submit my photos for approval. 

Right now, I’m spending the bulk of my time finishing my costume, but I’ll be adding to my thread once we get home from the convention we are attending this weekend.

Edited by Wraith

Just to update you all. We went with the broad cloth for the inner dress. We used a cotton blend I believe for the red belt/sash. We found a really nice leather like material for the black outer dress. Our friend is sewing it together for us and we should be ready to apply the gold and silver details in a couple weeks. I’ll post pictures when we get it back and as we go along! Thanks so much!

11 minutes ago, Lord Darth Revan said:

Just to update you all. We went with the broad cloth for the inner dress. We used a cotton blend I believe for the red belt/sash. We found a really nice leather like material for the black outer dress. Our friend is sewing it together for us and we should be ready to apply the gold and silver details in a couple weeks. I’ll post pictures when we get it back and as we go along! Thanks so much!

Apply the silver BEFORE the dress is made, or your life will get 100x more difficult.