• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Revan's Lightsaber

GreenGrass

Hi!

I am looking to add to my Darth Revan by buying a lightsaber. My original idea is Shock Le from Ultrasabers, but not even that is a perfect match. How strict are the 501st on the saber to be a perfect match? Or is it essentially only "fairly" similar and the right colour that counts?

Thanks on beforehand!

I got mine from Vader's Vault and there's is spot on

For the UK Garrison they were strict on the right colours and design

But you'll need to check with your local GML

Thanks

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

While sabers aren't required for approval or trooping, we recommend getting as accurate of one as you can. Ultrasabers are designed to be used in combat, and often sacrifice accuracy for being able to take a hit. 

With Revan's hilt, it's really 2 options you have for the design for KOTOR style in either single or double, but both versions can be seen in the gallery of references here: 

http://www.theflagshipeclipse.com/forums/index.php?/gallery/category/27-darth-revan-kotor/

It shows the simplistic KOTOR game file design as well as the Star Wars Encyclopedia entry for Revan's hilt. 

The most important thing being that we do NOT accept SWTOR style hilts for KOTOR Revan. I am still hoping that someone will make a SWTOR Revan, but the hilts would still only be usable in the appropriate eras/games that the costumer is wearing.

The Shock is close enough for a lot of the costumes that I have seen. I am planning to use one myself. Either get the LE or paint the gold accents yourself on a standard. The VV and SF models are a better match for his red one but a lot more expensive. Saberforge are the only ones who make the purple one though.

The Saberforge Fallen and Reborn are pretty accurate, Vaders Vault has the Rev-n but they only make that hilt, although they have said they have plans to make the other hilt later this year possibly.

Edited by Darth Cody

14 hours ago, DarthCephalus said:

The Shock is close enough for a lot of the costumes that I have seen. I am planning to use one myself. Either get the LE or paint the gold accents yourself on a standard. The VV and SF models are a better match for his red one but a lot more expensive. Saberforge are the only ones who make the purple one though.

Does the LE actually have enough gold on the pommel?  I myself have a regular show with the entire emitter and pommel powder-coated, which is made a lot easier by the fact that they come off.

The CRL just says " The hilt midsection is silver, with the emitter head and back pommel sections showing gold or brass in color". The person I got my costume from was using an Aeon, which is barely the right shape. The Shock is a lot closer, though not as close as VV or SF. I just prefer the shock for the price point. You can check with your GML, but I think many of them give a lot of latitude for what is approvable for this hilt.

We offer the correct and accurate photo references here and in the CRL so that vagueness like that is removed. Otherwise, the photos would not be supplied and the text-only reference would be acceptable. 

Not to be pedantic, but there is still some discrepancy there though. The photo reference has no gold or brass on the emitter though the text calls for it. The black series figure's saber has brass on the emitter but not on the pommel. Some of the game references even have black grip sections of the hilt. It gets confusing. As to what is available in the saber market, the VV Rev-N and the SF Fallen both have nobby pommels like the Ultrasabers guardian or scorpion pommel. If you put a guardian pommel on a shock LE you would have something almost exactly the same but bigger. None of them are gold that I have seen. The most screen accurate I have ever seen is a Rogue armory KOTOR hilt in the brass accent variant. That would be the ideal as far as I am concerned, but they are hard to come by. In terms of how strict the 501st is about complete accuracy on hilt designs, my experience talking to people has been they are not too strict about it. I would still be willing to bet that your GML would call the shock you were looking at close enough.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQsbCtvkmv2TfNFTMy2EeC

The black series figure is also not eligible for approval, and therefore, can't be used as reference. Also, with game references, the hilt is not always the NPC version since you can sort of chose the style. The NPC hilts from KOTOR II showing the model shows the accurate version from the game file, which was never clear enough to show details to begin with. 

With regards to the gold emitter, the text was changed several months ago and reverted back to the old text when the server had a freak out, which I have been spending all night fixing for several CRLs including Desert Starkiller and Dark Lord (Hoth) Starkiller (which is why the Revan images make no sense t the text given that the old images partially reverted back).

Point being, we are trying to remove the, "meh, good enough since people don't look at the references" mindset that the Flagship has sunk into the past several years. The intent has been to bring us back into the light as a quality detachment that focuses on details just as much as any other detachment.

Fair enough. I wouldn't say that it makes us lazy though. A lot of detachments have level one, two, and three or some such for increasing levels of accuracy on costume parts. In a saber that is seldom seen, that would not be unreasonable I would think. At any rate, for better accuracy, you are saying it is the image we should be following on the saber at this point rather than text? I thought the image was one of Rob's ABS 3D models. Since I am submitting for this one soon myself, I would like to clarify.

Edited by DarthCephalus

Not saying anyone is lazy, I would just like to see the quality of the detachment reach higher than, "Well, most people won't care so I won't go for as accurate as I could". ;) 

I am trying to get the photos corrected this week (Currently putting as much of Mother Talzin back together as I can) but you can see the game file version and the Star Wars Encyclopedia version in the gallery under Revan's stuff until then. The entire CRL system for TFE is getting a revamp to include better photos that you can click for actual variations as well. Just a matter of getting time to put everything in and having things not delete themselves since the last update!

So you are talking about an in house gallery rather than the one on the main CRL databank? Is it this link? http://theflagshipeclipse.com/gallery/t ... p?album=22  because that is the only one I can find on here and it seems to not go anywhere.

Edited by DarthCephalus