• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

WIP for Traitor Barriss

Just got my supplies ready. Preliminary try-on. Top is not done (this is the base), belt buckle is not done (so not shown), makeup is partial as I don’t have the right tools just yet and my lipstick hasn’t arrived in the mail. I’ll do another makeup trial next week. Other than that, feedback please! I know the makeup isn’t good enough yet, so second trial is coming! The skirt isn’t as big and flowy as I’d like, but I can’t seem to find a good one beyond this one. Do you think it’s ok? I can’t afford/find contacts right now as they are saying I need an exam and then a fitting and this and that and another thing. Help!

QEi7Cbn.jpg   jjNDLUW.jpg

4bc2qYl.jpg

16 hours ago, Mitthrawnuruodo said:

That's awesome you're doing this costume!
Barriss was always one of my favorites (my black cat is named after her)

Best of luck!

Me too! I read “The Approaching Storm” and was like “I really like these Mirialans.” So I stalked Luminara and Barriss in all the books and shows and movies. Now that Barriss is acceptable for 501st, I am all kinds of excited!!!

Side note: I got a check in so I bought the contacts. They just arrived today and I go to the eye doctor tomorrow to fit them because I’ve never worn contacts before :)

Today was lenses day! I spent the majority of the day in my Barriss contact lenses to get the feel for them. End of day, I also decided to do a half-face makeup trial run to complete the day. I feel my diamonds are maybe too little or too closely spaced. Not sure. Center one is definitely off, but for freehand, not too bad. Looking into a stencil for the diamonds. Matte black lipstick is still on backorder, so temporarily used eyeliner as lipstick. Need to improve the color, maybe with primer, another coat, and try dusting with bronzer a little more. Other than that, I’d say not bad for an initial go.

avcXeZ6.jpg

HI ya Shannan,

Your correct your diamonds are too close together  and space them a little.

I used liquid eye liner 

I did Barriss many moons (years) ago, you will get to a stage were it will be very easy to pop them on.

06.jpg

Edited by M.J

16 hours ago, M.J said:

HI ya Shannan,

Your correct your diamonds are too close together  and space them a little.

I used liquid eye liner 

I did Barriss many moons (years) ago, you will get to a stage were it will be very easy to pop them on.

Thank you! I had a feeling they were. Good to get feedback from another Barriss. And the pic helps a lot!

UPDATES

Did the work to get the middle panel on the top a different size and slightly different. Had an old cloak laying around that I dyed. It’s darker in real life. I’ve seen some wear just plain old cloaks like this as costume, but I’m assuming 501 wants the pattern (please direct before I move forward).

d8RWGHu.jpg

Belt buckle is coming along, just needs some finishing touches. Lightsaber holder not shown, but also done.

tS2HVoH.jpg

Now just the gauntlet! Any tips?

HI ya Shannon me again, your doing a good job.

I did do some research on her, was thinking of doing the dark side Barriss...though too many other projects on the go atm so its been shelved.

Your front panel with the gathering lines are should be a little wider than what you have. They are larger than the arms one.

Belt buckle needs to be more of a rectangle, also make the heart look a little  stretched out....  mine was carved out of wood.

On 4/23/2018 at 8:50 AM, M.J said:

HI ya Shannon me again, your doing a good job.

I did do some research on her, was thinking of doing the dark side Barriss...though too many other projects on the go atm so its been shelved.

Your front panel with the gathering lines are should be a little wider than what you have. They are larger than the arms one.

Belt buckle needs to be more of a rectangle, also make the heart look a little  stretched out....  mine was carved out of wood.

The belt buckle I can do, but the shirt... I am on a very strict budget (and my boss is threatening to fire me so tomorrow I turn in my 2-week notice so no termination is on my record T-T due to my ongoing health issues) the shirt is almost entirely from secondhand shop finds and totally entirely stitched by hand. Is there *ANY* way possible to salvage it without starting over? I studied a bunch of movie stills and Clone Wars shots and tried to get it as close as I could. And as for the belt buckle, is scrap wood okay? Also for budget reasons. I know they said this was “an expensive hobby” (referring to 501st) when I got into it but I’m just so passionate about charity and Star Wars, I really want to make it work...

I'm not the GMO so take my opinion with a grain of salt.  In my opinion the shirt looks passable.  There are a lot of inconsistencies in her shirt so I would say keep it for now.  As for the buckle.  As long as it looks right you should be good.  Doesn't matter what it's made of as long as it has the right look to it.

On 4/28/2018 at 10:56 PM, RogueJedi86 said:

The belt buckle I can do, but the shirt... I am on a very strict budget (and my boss is threatening to fire me so tomorrow I turn in my 2-week notice so no termination is on my record T-T due to my ongoing health issues) the shirt is almost entirely from secondhand shop finds and totally entirely stitched by hand. Is there *ANY* way possible to salvage it without starting over? I studied a bunch of movie stills and Clone Wars shots and tried to get it as close as I could. And as for the belt buckle, is scrap wood okay? Also for budget reasons. I know they said this was “an expensive hobby” (referring to 501st) when I got into it but I’m just so passionate about charity and Star Wars, I really want to make it work...

I am going to play devil's advocate here a bit.

On one side, I have seen some amazing things come from second-hand alterations. That being said, they were made exactly to the references, and being that I am not a seamstress in any fashion whatsoever (seriously, I'm terrible at it), I can't say how easy it would be to alter the existing stuff to match the references.

Materials aren't an issue, but you need to make then look like the references, and also need to think about the durability of the items. Better to build it once correctly than more than one to get it done quickly.

With regards to the passion of helping, costumes aren't required for that, and I am sure your local unit would be more than happy to have you come along and help out as a handler (more important than you think) while you get the costume up to a high quality of standard. There is no rush to get in when it means compromising quality.

That is the downside to the lesser-numbered costumes in the detachment in that the obscurity of the characters versus big screen makes creation of the costumes more wearer-oriented than the mass of armorers that other costumes and detachments have. Though, I guess that is the charm and appeal in TFE, as we stand out from the rest ;)