• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

M's Seventh Sister WIP

mdwilson606

Getting ready to pull the trigger to start a Seventh Sister costume. But not entirely sure where to start. I've read through the posts and build threads here and checked out the CRL, knowing the issues with it after all the reading. My main source of angst at the moment is where to acquire the hard parts. We've contacted JawaChopShop about their kit but it doesn't include a helmet. Atlis Armory offers a helmet but they haven't responded to messages. I founf that Do3d offers files to 3D print the pieces but they are also known for junk files. SO what are the options to pursue that maybe we haven't found yet? We have a Taz6 3D printer to be able to print if files are available but has understand the sometimes fragile nature to 3D prints. 

Any help would be appreciated also in locating a pattern for sewing the soft goods. 

Thanks!

Getting ready to pull the trigger to start a Seventh Sister costume. But not entirely sure where to start. I've read through the posts and build threads here and checked out the CRL, knowing the issues with it after all the reading. My main source of angst at the moment is where to acquire the hard parts. We've contacted JawaChopShop about their kit but it doesn't include a helmet. Atlis Armory offers a helmet but they haven't responded to messages. I founf that Do3d offers files to 3D print the pieces but they are also known for junk files. SO what are the options to pursue that maybe we haven't found yet? We have a Taz6 3D printer to be able to print if files are available but has understand the sometimes fragile nature to 3D prints. 
Any help would be appreciated also in locating a pattern for sewing the soft goods. 
Thanks!
After looking for patterns I quit. Was too complicated for me. So grabbed an old dress I had in the closet and modified it to make the jacket. Then I lined it. The fitted pants were from Wal-Mart and did match the jacket's fabric. So I just had to add the red on the sides on the legs. I was so nervous to mess up but it came out so nice! The neck seal was made in leatherette. Did pattern with clear wrap and tape around my neck and then I transfer to fabric, making sure did the folds in the sewing machine. To tell u the truth the pain was to make the gloves. I used this tutorial and learned after many mistakes I needed to use 2 was strech fabric, no the leftover material I had in the cosplay room lol. Here is tutorial for gloves

10699a20b1d3b31aae59e60d37475252.jpg9294d1d098d328b128ec846c2011f55b.jpga18912284c7bf7c7aca91206ae459876.jpg16d8ef5f38eb8e2fac28fbe9dcac625d.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well we ordered the armor pieces from JawaChopShop today. He says it will take a week to produce and ship out. So should have that in a couple weeks. Also purchased the helmet file from ... https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/game/helmet-seven-sisters-star-wars

I understand this will need some modification once it is printed. Can anyone helps us by pointing out what exactly needs changed?

On 3/30/2018 at 3:34 PM, gabyreyna17 said:

emoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji23.png

Would you mind us using this for the TFE page? I feel like this needs to be shared with the world.

• Like 1

On 4/19/2018 at 7:13 PM, jenmcnitt said:

What was wrong with the stl files?  I believe I have the same ones but have not started printing yet.

What layer height are you using?  Are you printing in PLA?

Thanks!

I figured I would jump in here and help M out with answers. 

I got the files here... https://www.cgtrader.com/3d-print-models/hobby-diy/hand-tools/helmet-seven-sisters-star-wars

It looks like they have some open faces after the file was split for printing. I ran the STL's through cloud.netfabb.com and it seems to have repaired all of them except one. I ended up taking the matching side to the corrupt file and using Simplyfi3D to just mirror the mesh and it printed just fine. 

I print all my props and accessories in ABS at a .2mm layer height. The ABS is less susceptible to heat warp age in high temp environments and it sands and finishes better than PLA (IMHO) 

The helmet itself is now complete and I am currently printing the mask section. I will get M to post up a new photo here shortly on the progress. 

Edited by wilson5710
  • Like 1

2eMIE0X.jpg
Anthony finally finished up all the printing on the helmet and mask. Onto finish work!
We also traced my hand for a glove pattern and will try and turn those out this weekend. 
I love it!

Unfortunately we are dealing with some bad news tonight.

Originally we ordered a Seventh Sister armor kit from JawaChopShop. We had contacted him before ordering and asked what turn-around time was for the kit. We just wanted an idea of how long of a wait there was going to be so we could plan out a time frame to the costume.  JawaChopShop respond that his normal turn around was one week from payment. Then he even sent Anthony a photo alluding to having a kit ready to go. Payment was made on April 4th. We contacted JawaChopShop the next day to confirm he had received the payment. He said he had and would be boxing the kit up that day. We then waited another week and contacted them to see if he happen to have a tracking number. He ignored messages for three more days before saying he would message his wife and get the tracking number from her. Again we waited several days and tried contacting him for a tracking number. Again he ignored messages for several days before saying he couldn't believe it hadn't arrived yet. Once again we asked for a tracking number or even a method of shipment to try and confirm a package was on it's way. He has since stopped responding to all messages and we are going to be forced to file a dispute with PayPal to get our money back. This sucks.

On 4/28/2018 at 6:40 PM, mdwilson606 said:

Unfortunately we are dealing with some bad news tonight.

Originally we ordered a Seventh Sister armor kit from JawaChopShop. We had contacted him before ordering and asked what turn-around time was for the kit. We just wanted an idea of how long of a wait there was going to be so we could plan out a time frame to the costume.  JawaChopShop respond that his normal turn around was one week from payment. Then he even sent Anthony a photo alluding to having a kit ready to go. Payment was made on April 4th. We contacted JawaChopShop the next day to confirm he had received the payment. He said he had and would be boxing the kit up that day. We then waited another week and contacted them to see if he happen to have a tracking number. He ignored messages for three more days before saying he would message his wife and get the tracking number from her. Again we waited several days and tried contacting him for a tracking number. Again he ignored messages for several days before saying he couldn't believe it hadn't arrived yet. Once again we asked for a tracking number or even a method of shipment to try and confirm a package was on it's way. He has since stopped responding to all messages and we are going to be forced to file a dispute with PayPal to get our money back. This sucks.

How is this going? Hate to hear when this sort of thing happens to folks.

• Sad 1

We were just about to post an update today.  After filing a dispute with PayPal JawaChopShop got in touch saying he had shipped the package to the wrong address. But still wouldn't provide a tracking number. He did say he would get something shipped out and after another couple of days provided a USPS tracking number. This packed was delayed several times but did finally arrive. And it does have the armor pieces. After talking to some friends who have experience trimming and sizing stormtrooper kits we have decided to not trim anything for the Seventh Sister till after we have the soft goods squared away. A

That all being said Anthony sat down last night and modeled the belt buckle and belt greebly and we will have a print of those today. 

FtScm9W.jpg

Edited by mdwilson606