• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Boot covers question

video567

Hi all so I'm looking at cartoon pictures and the boot covers almost look like storm trooper covers.. not the same design but definitelly do not look like the boot covers represented in the crl. I've attached a picture I zoomed into. The crl says must be made of same material as the armor. And they don't look like they have a under the heel connector. Don't know how to explain it. If I make them out of plastic to match armor would that be a problem?b62e47932880c8e9f6b7ee1b15de1544.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

The main point, is they have to look correct.

What you use and how you do it is up to you.

I have also thought that something similar to TK style armor would work fine.

Obviously not TK armor because it is not the correct shape, but something similar in her look and shape would be fine.

Just make sure the color matches that of the chest armor.

The majority have agreed that the boot covers are high-reflect spats of fabric material given the assembly ad attaching of them to the boots themselves. (specifically the way that it reaches all the way down to the back of the heel).

Hey there! Just got my Seventh Sister approved on Monday and wasn't sure if this may help you with your build.

I had a similar issue with my build (hard armor versus leather). I was cleared to use and approved with boot covers made of black marine vinyl. They're tight enough to my boots and legs that they don't move too much. The red stripe on my boot is red marine vinyl that I glued to my boot. When I made the boot cover pattern, I left space so the red on the boots would show. On the boot cover sides, I have little tabs with velcro that attach to the bottom of the boot to keep it secured.

If this doesn't make sense or you would like some visuals, let me know! :)

I'm glad you asked this, @video567! I had come to the same conclusions from my research as well. The (admittedly fuzzy) text on the animator's original all-angles drawup of Seventh Sister states that the "Belt and Boots are CS Material" and "Breastplate is CS Material" so while I suppose that means they can be soft calf covers to match the belt or full on shin armor to match the chest armor, I prefer to view it from the animator's presumed standpoint in which he was trying to ensure that all three items merely had the same physical appearance. In my experience, I'm just not going to be able to achieve the proper look by making the shin covers out of any material which has the ability to crease and fold easily. They, like the belt and chest armor, must remain firm and smooth. I'd be curious to see how yours turned out, @Ceris_Galstan - if they're tight enough, maybe they would prove rigid enough to look solid!

4C02DFB8-0221-4673-A2CF-C4C5EA901E22.jpeg

Hi , so for now they are made of leather as a boot cover. Her costume was approved. But as I type this we are working on shin armor that is plastic similar to storm trooper shin armor. I 3d printed a model i created ...just last night it was molded to use on a vacuum form and this weekend we will vacuum form the buck that was created. So if my friend is able to vaccuum form it , we will have something to show. Mold has to be cleaned up before it can be done. Also had a friend make me a new belt greeble the one we got from maker has circles when they should be squares on it....so it will be more accuarate0b7a8c7e0cec6676aaca5a5a96f4f35f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

My biggest factor is that the in-show boots have the covers reach all the way down to the sole along the back ankle and heel. This would pretty much make it impossible to walk if they were rigid material. You could take the, "but the clones and stormtroopers bend funny with hard armor, too!" aspect, but then it comes down to the point of making it look like it does in the show, and using what we have to be able to actually move naturally and without limitation.