• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Emperor Roan Fel (Legacy) Question

bdh1138

I've been toying with the idea of building a Roan Fel costume lately. For anyone unfamilliar, that's this dashing fellow from the Legacy comic series.

1204235-new_empire_2.jpg

1403439-roan_fel__03__002__01_.png

Most of the outfit looks reasonably straightforward. However, I did want to get some community opinions on one particular aspect: the cloak. What do you all thin the diagonal lines are supposed to represent? The weave of the fabric, a printed (or woven) pattern in a different color, some sort of embossing, or something else? And for that matter, when it comes to interpreting 2d art like this, how is the "correct" interpretation for 501st approval generally determined? Or is it more a situation where any version that accurately reflects what's seen on the page can be acceptable even though different people may achieve that look in different ways? Thanks so much for any advice you can provide on this :)

Well, I sent an e-mail to Jan Duursema, and she basically said the same. I guess it'll depend on what I'm able to find to work with. The prospect of buying enough velvet to make a large, floor length cloak is daunting, but I might test some small swatches of cheaper stretch velvet they sell for Halloween costumes to see if I can get a decent look.

So I've been thinking more about this costume and I ran into another potential snag for approval. Due to his unfortunately limited number of actual on-page appearances, his sleeves are almost never shown. I'm pretty sure that Jan only showed each cuff on a single page through the entire 50 issue run of Legacy. As a result, we only see them from one side. On his left, we see an open sleeve with a bit of gold trim. On the right, the same sort of sleeve, but beneath a single gauntlet or bracer.

39939740131_5b6679add0_h.jpg

39041365835_0c91620299_h.jpg

I don't think it's unreasonable to assume that the details of the bracer or the gold trim would be symmetric, but unfortunately, an assumption is all it is. Does it seem like there's enough reference for his royal robes to be approved, or are the available images not enough?

I've also considered doing Fel's battle armor, but for my preferred variation, the same issue crops up. Initially, for a single cover and a couple of panels, he seems to have an imperial knight uniform with an extra collar piece in gold and the upper shoulders done in black and gold. However, since these are its only appearances, we never see this armor below the waist to know for certain if it's the same as standard IK.

39907495162_8105f49d43_h.jpg

26067461208_a7ce47c42e_b.jpg

The only version of the battle armor that actually has fairly complete views sadly drops the black and gold accents, simply becoming a standard imperial knight with an extra red collar piece.

latest?cb=20110530055155

So I'm still on the fence about where I eventually want to go with this project. If anybody has opinions or experience with this sort of thing and wants to weigh in on whether the royal robes or gold-trimmed battle armor would be approvable, I'd be grateful for their advice! 

For the Royal Robes, I think there is enough there to build with. The Gauntlet/Bracer question is a difficult one, but might be solved with it being listed as an optional item for the costume in the CRL, as the majority of the time his arms are not visible anyway. This would then go into the role playing of this character and body language of not having your arms visible in every picture taken of you. The LMOs would be the best persons to ask, as this would be a new costume to the TFE and 501st, and it falls under their scrutiny.

For the IK variation, this would also be a completely new costume to the TFE and the 501st, so again it would best be answered by the LMOs. I think that last pic you posted was just an error in coloring that they made the extra items red and not gold. I think there is enough to build this costume as well, with and IK being the base with the added Gold trimmed items making it unique. This costume would also be given its own CRL.

I have linked this post to two of our LMOs, so it gets their attention, and then they can give you their opinions on the matter.

• Like 1

I agree. I think it would be fine to have gauntlets optional on the first.

Also I would keep the gold, comic are quick and have fast turn over and I would concur that it was probably an accident to not include those details. The IK is another outfit as noted and would have its own CRL. 

• Like 1

Both of those seem reasonable to me. The red armor appears across several issues, but since both have the collar piece and there were almost 50 issues between appearances, I could easily see Jan intending to do the same armor in the pencils but the colorists forgetting the unique color scheme. Thanks for the feedback! :-D

• Like 1