• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Visas Marr in Germany

Wraith

30 minutes ago, Wraith said:

And now you know why I’ve been working on this costume for nearly three years!

Where ever I go, there you are! Almost feels like I have my very own stalker lol

I love this costume, I am just not sure if the world is ready for me in a dress? lol

44 minutes ago, Yankee71 said:

Where ever I go, there you are! Almost feels like I have my very own stalker lol

I love this costume, I am just not sure if the world is ready for me in a dress? lol

I can’t take over the Legion without having costumes approved in each detachment, Chris. :D

Today was “paint test day” here. Using a can of dark grey primer and a can of silver all-purpose spray paint, I painted a small square of stenciled overdress fabric. Half was done with primer plus paint, the other half with paint alone. Tomorrow morning, I am going to abuse the fabric by tossing it in the dryer for a little while. After that, I’ll decide which painting method works best for the longevity of the design.

092E131B-D781-4E13-9403-E9B90640DC87.jpeg

Note: I will be over-spraying the actual dress with a mist of black paint after the silver paint dries. I need to ensure the design won’t wear off easily first, because I am not going to be happy if all of this work fades after a few outings. 

Edited by Wraith

My KOTOR II inner dress and veil are finished! The gold trim has been applied to the fabric I’m using for my Unseen, Unheard version of the costume, and I’m getting ready to cut the rest of those pieces out soon. (This is the one I really want to wear, since I made so many mistakes with the KOTOR version.)

The paint is dry on my outer dress, but I think it might be a little too bright in some places. If necessary, I will fix those areas after the dress is finished.  I’ve begun the painstaking process of peeling off the masking pieces from the vinyl. 

My lightsaber has been shipped, so if I’m lucky, it will be here next week.

I need to get this costume ready to submit by the end of April, if I want any hope of wearing this to Legoland next month. It’s become like a full-time job right now!

I removed the last of the stencil material today. Unfortunately, two dress pieces are covered in adhesive goo, and I’m trying to remove it without erasing the paint. I ran the pieces through the washing machine, and I’ll do my best to get everything clean. 

My lightsaber arrived today, and it’s very pretty. I’m really looking forward to getting this costume done!

F7A922BE-0BF7-417C-A108-B330064F956E.jpeg

20 hours ago, DarthValkyria said:

Woohoo! Also, which adhesive goo is it?

It’s leftover adhesive from the stencil material. I left it on the vinyl too long. Most of it has been rubbed off, and barring any more interruptions, I hope to sew the overdress together tomorrow. 

The outer dress is almost finished! Just need to add the sleeves and finish the hems.

Tonight, I straightened the bottom hemline, and I’m working on finding the best angles for the side slit hem. Once I’m satisfied that the side slit will look good, I’ll take the dress off the mannequin and trim off the excess fabric. After that, I’m going to finish the sleeves.

If all goes well, I plan to glue the side hem tonight, then the bottom hem after the glue has time to set. I am hoping that Aleene’s Fabric Fusion will be able to handle the weight of the vinyl fabric, as well as the stress involved with the dress being worn. 

I’m getting so close to finishing this costume!

E4C56A1C-A021-43E1-87EF-5BF32DE1565A.jpeg

Just a quick note:

My KOTOR II costume is finished!!!

I’m going to finish up my Unseen, Unheard underdress and veil, then I’ll have my approval photos taken for both versions. 

:tkdance:

Both costumes have been submitted for approval. Now I just have to wait....

Here are the photos for the Unseen, Unheard version (my favorite). So glad to be done!

01E466CA-476C-4A84-A0FF-82F6F627DED2.jpeg

• Like 1

Just received word that both versions have been approved by the 501st! 

My Unseen, Unheard version is also approved for the Rebel Legion (I didn’t submit the KOTOR II version to them).

Now I just need to get trading cards made. :-D

• Like 1

Here are some more build photos, just for future Visas Marr costumers.

For my Unseen veil, I went with a full circle of fabric, folded over as shown. The basting lines were used to help me evenly fold the hem and to ease the excess fabric underneath the edge. Once I was happy with the length of the veil, I cut the Siser Easyweed vinyl in a circular pattern for the shoulder edge and a straight design for the front. 

After applying the vinyl and stitching the hems, I added drapery weight cording to both areas of the veil. I played around with the fitting, then stitched the entire piece of fabric onto a black fabric skullcap. (The one I found has a hole at the base of the skull for a ponytail or braid. which helps it stay in place.) I also created some gentle folds and sewed a few stitches at various points around the veil to help tame it down. 

For the gloves, I used bands of black vinyl, added the gold trim, and placed snaps around the interior of the gloves and underneath the trim. I only bought one pair of gloves, and it’s nice to be able to swap between costumes when necessary. 

31F3234B-17A3-4A7F-93B8-320650E47E75.jpeg

Copying what I wrote in another thread for future reference: 

I used the same pattern for the inner dress and outer dress; I made the inner dress first, in case modifications were needed. Then I put the pattern pieces on the right side of the black material and traced the cutting lines with a silver sharpie. (Make sure you reverse the pattern pieces, when necessary. Not much use for two left front sides in a dress.)

I used four rolls of Oracal 813 stencil material (12 inches by 20 feet each) and part of a roll of Oramask HT55 transfer tape. I cut the design using my Silhouette Cameo 3 vinyl cutter, weeded out the stencil material where I wanted the paint to be, then used the transfer tape to pick up the stencil material in preparation for applying it to the fabric.

Do not apply the stencil to the fabric until you are ready to paint! It will leave a residue if not removed within a few days.

You will need a lot of pressure to get the stencil vinyl to stick to the masking tape. I used a rolling pin. Then you will also need to rub the stencil material onto the fabric with the rolling pin and/or fingernails before removing the masking tape. It is not an easy nor fun process. 

Once the stencil material is applied, paint the material. I found that silver spray paint followed by a dusting of black spray paint worked best for me and my particular fabric.

As soon as the paint is dry, peel off the stencil material. Paint doesn’t usually absorb into the vinyl very well, so be very careful not to touch the dress fabric with your messy fingers during this process.  I used a metal soldering tool (similar to a thin screwdriver) to help cut down on the mess.

After giving the paint additional time to set and dry completely, I cut out the dress and sewed it together. Using a dressmaker’s mannequin helped a lot, especially when it came to figuring out the front slit of the dress. Getting it to stay flat and not curl is a function of working with the fabric while it’s hanging upright.

All in all, it was a lot of work, but I’m happy with the results!