Wraith
  • 501st Members
  • 7 posts
  • TKID:14588
  • Garrison / Outpost:
    Central Garrison

Posted 14 June 2017 - 10:11 AM

Hi everyone!

As I approach my second anniversary as a member of the 501st, I'm revisiting the Visas Marr (KOTOR II) costume I started two summers ago. We moved from the U.S. to Germany about a year and a half ago, and this project stalled shortly after I cut out the costume pieces. Thankfully, I saved some of my receipts, so I can see what I bought as a reference for next time.

I chose Simplicity pattern 2917 for both the underdress and the overdress. The center of the overdress is seamless; I placed the center front cutting line on the fold of the fabric, so I effectively added 1.25" to the overdress and made it look a little more like the character's overdress.

My underdress fabric is crepe-backed satin from Joann's in "Bordeaux." (It's now discontinued, but it's the same color as the fabric I linked.) Even Joann's website is having trouble accurately displaying the color; it's really a darker color that looks more bluish red than orange-red. Anyway, I'm sewing it with the crepe side as the right side, to create the proper matte finish for the dress. I also bought some matching chiffon to use under the gold vinyl covering my eyes. I'm very happy with the way the fabric drapes and moves when I wear the dress, and I'm looking forward to creating the veil as soon as I have all of the materials.

The overdress is a black leatherette, also from Joann's, and it has a slight texture on the front side. The wrong side of the fabric is black. I've created an art file for the silver patterning, and I'm about to order a cutting machine (a Silhouette Cameo 3) to create the stencils and the gold trim for this costume.

The belt will be made of fabric I purchased at Hancock's nearly two years ago. It's a polyester interlock in "Garnet." It is more red than the underdress fabric, but not enough to be glaringly obvious. If you look at the CRL for the KOTOR version of the costume, the colors of my fabrics in real life are very close to those colors.

I found the gloves on Etsy. They seem to be very old gloves that someone found in an attic somewhere, and they are made of silk-lined leather. I love them! Since I plan to do both versions of this costume, I'm going to use invisible snaps to add the vinyl trim to the hem of these gloves, so I can remove the decorations when necessary.

Once I get this version of the costume approved, I plan to create another underdress and veil for the Unseen, Unheard version. I'm probably going to find a cotton broadcloth fabric next time, so I'll have something a little cooler to wear during hotter weather.

IMG_0150_zps0nc2dcrw.jpg

Unfortunately, my camera refuses to accurately portray the colors of the underdress and the belt, but as I said, the real colors match those of the CRL.

I'm really excited about getting back to work on this costume!

#2 Wraith

Wraith
  • 501st Members
  • 7 posts
  • Garrison / Outpost:
    Central Garrison

Posted 25 June 2017 - 12:56 PM

My Silhouette Cameo 3 arrived a few days ago, and I was able to cut the trim for the front of the veil today. I used Siser Easyweed gold, and I'll apply it to the chiffon portion of the veil when I get that finished. (The wide gold stripe at the bottom will be removed later on.)

FullSizeRender-4_zpsnss750sy.jpg

I used Silhouette's brand name stencil plastic for the pinwheel design, but their settings didn't cut deeply enough to make removing the excess material easy. I've been cursing up a storm today, but since I really want to get this costume ready for a convention next weekend, I'll have to make due with what I have. It isn't always easy to find what I need locally, and I may or may not be able to get another piece of this plastic shipped to me in time.

IMG_0157_zpsqfuh1fxg.jpg

The next step will be finding an appropriate paint or marker to use with this stencil to mark my overdress. Frustration with the poor cutting depth aside, I like the fact that this stencil material has a lightly adhesive underside. That will make keeping it in place while I work much easier.

I have five days left to finish this costume before the convention. Wish me luck!

• Yankee71 likes this

#3 Yankee71

Yankee71

Detachment XO

• Detachment XO
  • 367 posts
  • Name:Satya C. Bailey
  • TKID:11671
  • Garrison / Outpost:
    German Garrison
  • Squad:Custodes Euroi Squad
  • 501st Legion Profile

Posted 25 June 2017 - 01:13 PM

Hello again, we spoke on the German forums.  This is one of my favorite costumes (Unfortunately for me, most costumes I find interesting are female costumes) I will follow your progress  :darkside:

Satya C. Bailey
SL - 11671 - Starkiller (hoth)
DZ - 11671 - Malakili (Rancor Keeper)
DZ - 11671 - Jawa

The Flagship Eclipse Detachment XO 2017-

#4 Wraith

Wraith
  • 501st Members
  • 7 posts
  • Garrison / Outpost:
    Central Garrison

Posted 25 June 2017 - 01:21 PM

Hi! I really love this costume, and it's a lot more forgiving of figure flaws than the Asajj Ventress I eventually want to build. It's also a lot less challenging than Captain Phasma (I'm 6'1" tall, so I *need* to build a Phasma at some point).

I'm really missing the ability to just drive down to the local Michaels or Joanns to buy whatever I need, though. Even after being here a year and a half, I'm still not used to the dearth of decent craft stores. It just feels alien to me.  :)

#5 Yankee71

Yankee71

Detachment XO

• Detachment XO
  • 367 posts
  • Name:Satya C. Bailey
  • TKID:11671
  • Garrison / Outpost:
    German Garrison
  • Squad:Custodes Euroi Squad
  • 501st Legion Profile

Posted 25 June 2017 - 01:43 PM

Your in a big city, you probably just have not come across the right shop yet.  I would reach out to your squad, they maybe able to give you better hints as to where to shop.

Satya C. Bailey
SL - 11671 - Starkiller (hoth)
DZ - 11671 - Malakili (Rancor Keeper)
DZ - 11671 - Jawa

The Flagship Eclipse Detachment XO 2017-

#6 DarthValkyria

DarthValkyria

Her Sithness

• Detachment Leader
  • 482 posts
  • Name:Nina
  • TKID:26272
  • Garrison / Outpost:
    Dewback Ridge Garrison
  • 501st Legion Profile

Posted 25 June 2017 - 01:45 PM

Hi! I really love this costume, and it's a lot more forgiving of figure flaws than the Asajj Ventress I eventually want to build. It's also a lot less challenging than Captain Phasma (I'm 6'1" tall, so I *need* to build a Phasma at some point).

I'm really missing the ability to just drive down to the local Michaels or Joanns to buy whatever I need, though. Even after being here a year and a half, I'm still not used to the dearth of decent craft stores. It just feels alien to me.   :)

We don't call them, "figure flaws", we call them, "figure hurrahs". ;)

Don't ever think that a figure should limit the wearing of a costume (so long as social and public decency are still regarded and followed, of course). This goes for you too, Chris. I mean, you already have to shave for Makakili, right? :D

• eliste and Wraith like this

"Savior, conqueror, hero, villain. You are all things Revan… and yet you are nothing. In the end you belong to neither the light nor the darkness. You will forever stand alone."-Darth Malak
SL 26272, Darth Revan, Dewback Ridge Garrison
Villainworks Limited Partner

#7 Wraith

Wraith
  • 501st Members
  • 7 posts
  • Garrison / Outpost:
    Central Garrison

Posted 26 June 2017 - 12:20 AM

We don't call them, "figure flaws", we call them, "figure hurrahs". ;)

Don't ever think that a figure should limit the wearing of a costume (so long as social and public decency are still regarded and followed, of course). This goes for you too, Chris. I mean, you already have to shave for Makakili, right? :D

I'm just a bit more fluffy now than I was two years ago, but I'm working my way back to my normal weight. I like how this costume will hide my knee brace, which will make trooping a bit more comfortable for me.  :)