• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Vicky's Mara Jade Black Nebula Build for Help/Support from the Flagship - Redback Garrison (AUS)

VickyVic

So, here we are again and I here myself screaming the words: WHY DO I DO THIS TO MYSELF!?! WHAT HAVE I GOT MYSELF INTO? 

Well. I did the CRL searches and I know there are 2 other Mara Jade 501st approvable costumes out there. Arica and Black Nebula. So instead of being nearly naked as Arica, I am going full gowns and leather with Black Nebula

CRL - https://databank.501st.com/databank/Costuming:Mara_jade_black_nebula 

Reference Images:

tumblr_orfi6vnexq1r44qwfo2_540.jpg

tumblr_orfi6vnexq1r44qwfo3_540.jpg

tumblr_orfi6vnexq1r44qwfo1_250.jpg

So break down time! What have I got that I can use? What do I need to ask Phantom (Redback Garrison GML) about and what the hell did I get myself into... and more over, another Flagship costume to finish before Dreamworld (major gathering of 501st in Australia) next year  aaaah.gif

Red Hair:

SO! I have this sorted. Same wig as my black body suit. Good-o

tumblr_of1e5wQEKG1r44qwfo2_r1_400.jpg

Scarf and Dress Material's:

Maroon! I do love that colour. Coming from Queensland and all, as with the state of origin happening at the moment (sport, NRL, state vs state... bragging rights for 1yr)! best! I am going to head to Spotlight. I have two costumes that need this colour material. It will be a non stretch material. Shhh secret 2nd costume... Tach doesn't know

Scarf with have a hat brim made out of a tan/orange leather - means a visit to Mac Lace in Capalaba again

Dress will gave a black torso, sleeves and skirts attached to the black torso are maroon in colour. Skirt has 4 panels. Spilt down the front, sides and back. woo! Fun... NOT! and thankfully the sleeves are wide and not fitted. I hate fitted non-stretch costumes

Undersuit:

Steel Grey Body Suit, with long sleeves. Easy. Done. Can do in my sleep.

Leather Vest and Shoulder Epaulettes

Again. Same leather as the brim on the scarf. All matchy matchy and such.  Epaulettes will require some skills I need to work on. This being custom bias and piping... again. Woo. Also some beading.

Black Vest 

Layers. Many layers! Like an Onion. Gonna die in this. It is a bolero length, doesn't close and made of a very deep black, almost velvet in type from looking on the CRL.

Boots

grey/brown?!? WHAT. So I buy some dark grey boots and get some tan/brown polish and give some TLC? Thoughts? May need to ask TFE (you guys) and Phantom about this or do I use the same ones as my black body suit?

tumblr_of1e5wQEKG1r44qwfo3_r2_540.png

Lightsaber:

I am set with the purple saber thanks to Tachyon (best boyfriend and also 501st member)! Best christmas pressie from the best boyfriend a girl/star wars fan could ask for! Shhh! I didn't tell you that :P

tumblr_of1e5wQEKG1r44qwfo6_r1_540.png

I will update this thread with more info and things I make as they happen! I am pretty excited to start something new again! I know Black Bodysuit (BB) Mara will be getting a cape and clasp! Always having fun with Mara. Next will be Arica when Black Nebula (BN) Mara is done... and other TFE costume, Visas Marr, is also happening. So, both hopefully done before Dreamworld and maybe one done before OZCC Brisbane (major convention in Queensland, Australia) this year!

Wish me luck!

So I found some boots. I have to change them as my BB Mara boots won't cut it. Brown Grey is a hard colour to get so I am getting brown boots and polishing to the right colour with black polish. Buckle at top will be removed. Just running this style of boot by Terry and my GML

• Like 1

I am a fan of leather dye.  

Use the paint brush for the 1st coat and paint it on, will leave your paint strokes everywhere.  2nd coat use a damp cloth with more dye, helps to blend it all in so it looks the same and the paint strokes are no longer visible.  3rd coat is more or less just checking for any spots you missed in the 1st 2 coats.

If you have more fun with kiwi, then more power to you, I just find dye a lot easier and less work.

• Like 1

I am a fan of leather dye.

Use the paint brush for the 1st coat and paint it on, will leave your paint strokes everywhere. 2nd coat use a damp cloth with more dye, helps to blend it all in so it looks the same and the paint strokes are no longer visible. 3rd coat is more or less just checking for any spots you missed in the 1st 2 coats.

If you have more fun with kiwi, then more power to you, I just find dye a lot easier and less work.

I'll think about it next time. Still learning about leather dye is all. Don't trust myself

Angelus leather paints are also phenomenal if you need a paint rather than a dye. My boyfriend has been using it to paint a black pleather trench coat red and it's been working like a charm. It spreads and blends in with itself very well with very little brush strokes.

• Like 1

Fabric Samples for Undersuit! What are your opinions? 1, 2 or 3?

f990f3b96b7ead8ece157c7bf7f8d232.jpg

62cf62be572f6735b35e43dc0ce3a13a.jpg

62f3561133194e21b01631cf0a6c5829.jpg

CRL

31f7645340743c6c5ace826f82558fdf.jpg

Unitard

For 501st approval:

The dark steel-gray unitard is made from a low sheen material

I am kinda partial to 1 and 3 in colour and type. Thinking 1 is more true to colour though

Thoughts?

Boots in natural light! df6674435716596777cd02de87e8c153.jpg

Flash

9f1f63bae975a4f30821cc886ae48ab6.jpg

I love how equal the colour is and that in flash it shows the undertones. It is equally applied over. No streaks in person. It matches the CRL photo in colour and has the brown undertones

More progress to come.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I really like 3. I've always felt it's supposed to be pretty dark, and that one is nice in that you can tell it's gray not black, but still dark. I feel 1 may be a bit light.

I think so too. Ill have to wash sample 3 ans see is it lightens a smidge. Re:ask my GML his thoughts and Terry hers.

Thanks gorgeous x

• Like 1

So found some dark grey spandex I love!! And will be using for the arms and legs, purchased already. I won't do a full suit under the dress as it is super dooper hot in Australia. So arms and legs will be covered. Will sew into seams of dress for arms and have seperate legs to allow ease of amenities. Per CRL

83019320ce1080db5d0de0aefe1d1478.jpg

Leather! This leather looks to match the CRL and the comic leathers. It's orange tan. Will discuss with my GML about it all as well.

18495e03131f99bcfb63dac76b82809f.jpg

Thoughts?

I'd say you're on the right track, these materials do look pretty close in color to the comic and CRL! And I don't blame you for not wanting to do a full undersuit. It gets super hot here in Florida! I think it should be okay as long as the sleeves and legs are there and visible.

• Like 1

Hi I'm just starting Black Nebula Mara--I have leggings that I believe are the right colour for the "body suit"--I'll be doing leggings and false sleeves......I'm stuck at the moment on the maroon fabric, any hints there?  I can't seem to match to anything at my local JoAnn's and hesitate to buy online without someone having done so before and saying "yes it's the right one"

Hi I'm just starting Black Nebula Mara--I have leggings that I believe are the right colour for the "body suit"--I'll be doing leggings and false sleeves......I'm stuck at the moment on the maroon fabric, any hints there?  I can't seem to match to anything at my local JoAnn's and hesitate to buy online without someone having done so before and saying "yes it's the right one"
Hey there!
So I'm in Australia and I found it at a discount fabric store in Logan. It has good drape and is light feeling. Not see through. I am about to sew it together tbh. I had this on the back burner for a bit
Feels like Rylon?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk