• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Mara Jade WIP

BigT

Hi everybody

I was approved as an ESB Vader this spring, after five years build time, and it was a very special moment, like the most of you already experienced.

Since many years I'm also a big Fan of the classic EU and especially of Tim Zahns Novels and derived Comics.

In 2011 I had a major positive change in my life and suddenly a lot of free time. And so I decided to realize an old dream: a little Star Wars Fan Film.

There is a modest Splash Page already https://www.darth-vader.ch which leads to some older WIP Vimeo clips regarding CGI works.

I wanted to start the real filming only when at least 50% of the CGI works would be done. That is the case now.

There are three main characters in the story which takes place right after EP IV : Darth Vader, Talon Karrde and last but not least: Mara Jade.

I searched for an ideal Mara actress a long time, but then last fall found a student at the campus I'm working, who's all the attributes I wanted for a breathtaking Mara. I couldn't believe that she agreed at my first request and now we're already about creating the character and costume.

Ah yes, her real name is... Pamela  :mrgreen: (the force is strong...).

During research I came across Pams/Scotts cool site. It is always great to see fellow fans doing their stuff so passionated and sharing all the knowledge they have so unreserved. At this point already a very big thanks for that! 

Since I'm a 3D engineer for over 30 years I couldn't resist to create an own version of the Mini-Blaster, based on the Comic appearances.

Fortunately I hadn't to scroll trough my digital Bookshelf because Pam has already aggregated the important drawings on her site:

wp127454e6.jpg

I decided to realize the more stretched version in the upper right picture. I didn't wanted to make just a copy of Pams blaster which I like very much.

This are now the first pictures of my Mini Blaster. It will be necessary to subdivide the blaster for fine SLA 3D Printing and this will take some time.

If the print will be successful, I will share the 3D file here for free. Hope you like it!

imp_jad_blaster0011.png

imp_jad_blaster0012.png

imp_jad_blaster0013.png

imp_jad_blaster0014.png

imp_jad_blaster0015.png

imp_jad_blaster0016.png

imp_jad_blaster0017.png

• Like 1

Thank you video567! 

So it's already over a half year later...
Why is time passing faster and faster as you get older? Oh, I know the answer, you're getting slower and slower :wink:

But "Gut Ding will Weile haben" (Good things want to have its while) is a well known saying in German speaking countries.
And it was indeed as expected very tricky to prep the model for printing with several attempts and restarts.
But today I sent the body and grip out for SLA printing.

Still in the works are the three little tubes on each side. Most likely I will not print them but make it out of other material.

So I hope I'm back with good news next week! The money I spent does not allow anything else...  :?

orderpng.png

Here is the final virtual 3D model with Pamelas comic research picture in the middle.
As she mentioned the blaster proportion and design is not 100% coherent from picture to picture, so every real version is a compromise.

imp_jad_blaster_f_all.jpg

• Like 1

On 3/20/2018 at 3:22 PM, BigT said:

Here is the final virtual 3D model with Pamelas comic research picture in the middle.
As she mentioned the blaster proportion and design is not 100% coherent from picture to picture, so every real version is a compromise.

imp_jad_blaster_f_all.jpg

Pft, that never happens with comics! ;) 

• Like 1

So finally here's the printed blaster.

It took some time since the printer guy had some serious problems with the model and when I got the print after month, I wasn't really super happy with it.
It had slightly wonky and wobbly areas, broken edges and the remaining support artifacts were on the most unsuitable positions.

But meanwhile I spent some hours with filing and sanding and I'm confident that it will look good in the end.
One reason is this SLA printing stuff, which is really nice and fun to work with, almost like with a medium hard wood. You don't have to fear that something chips away like with ABS and it's even better to edit than PU.

Pictures show state after support artifact removal and after first refinement session with provisional primer. The other parts are not on the pics yet.

mara_jade_blaster_raw-2.jpg

mara_jade_blaster_1st_refinement-2.jpg

Edited by BigT